House Price Crash Forum

6 Year Old Boy Suspended From School For Eating Mini-Cheddars

1929crash

HOLA441

I was in Thailand and the locals kept pointing out that i smelt bad, drinking lots of milk make us smell to people who do not drink milk.

Yes, I have had that one too! :blink:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

So, if I understand this correctly, parents wishing to take their kids on a term-time holiday can avoid being fined by sticking some cr@p in their lunch box the week before. Yay! That dream ski trip can be yours with no penalties.

Ah, the joys and paradoxes of compulsory state education.

If the relationship between the school and the parents is voluntary, both will be free to work out whether their respective expectations and requirements are going to fit together or not.

If the kid's parents have no choice about where to send their kid, there are other ways of incentivising kids and their parents, rather than behaving like an inconsistent, authoritarian tosspot. The kid's six. In my experience, six year old students will do anything for junk like reward stickers. I used to regularly bump into teachers I knew in NZ combing dollar stores for all sorts of tut. Good training for doing what you're told in exchange for tatty bits of paper in later life too.

What I am curious about is why mum doesn't appear in any of the posed photos. I could very easily be totally off the mark but I've got a mental picture of something the size of the Hindenburg.

HOLA444
HOLA445

More like milliCheddars then?

I think he'd had enough cheese, what with dairylea dunkers, froobs, and a cheese butty, probably had nightmares.

Dairylea dunkers are absolute junk, get some proper soft cheese and breadsticks instead.

HOLA446
HOLA447

That might explain the added melamine then

and why Chinese people are substantially more fire resistant than Europeans

That's a horrible story! Capitalism cheating babies! :o

HOLA448

The study you quote appears to show that dairy foods are destructive to Chinese people's health. Which, I guess, isn't really that surprising, given that orientals tend to be not so good at digesting milk products as westerners. Many would argue that fatty foods like cheese are probably more nutritious for westerners than sugary stuff. Nothing wrong with fruit and veg though, of course.

It seems it`s fine to eat cheese and dairy products as long as you`re from somewhere with a cheese named after it.

http://m.jech.bmj.com/content/59/6/502.abstract

HOLA449

So, if I understand this correctly, parents wishing to take their kids on a term-time holiday can avoid being fined by sticking some cr@p in their lunch box the week before. Yay! That dream ski trip can be yours with no penalties.

I've just found out that my daughter's headmaster is getting married next Friday, Valentine's Day, which is a school day. Should I just send him an invoice for £1000?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I enjoyed the story about the physics teacher who has been suspended because part of an experiment shot out and hit a student

Was the persecutor of said teacher some kind of jealous non scientist by any chance?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Case closed, hang the mother put the child into care.

Nobody is suggesting that anybody be hanged or put into care. But schools, like all other major organisations and society in general, have rules; and if people continue just to ignore them after repeated attempts to address the issue politely (and initially, informally), then you have to do something. If this kid gets into the habit of eating nothing but flour, fat and sugar (which is basically what his lunchbox, as described in the initial story, contained), then he is being set up for chronic and serious health problems in later life (which taxpayers, via the NHS, will end up having to pay for), regardless of whether or not you believe that dairy is specifically problematic.

If you believe that schools have no right to promote public health among their pupils, then do you also believe that PE lessons should be scrapped? And do you believe that there should be absolutely no regulation of parents to ensure that they bring their children up in a basically responsible way? If so, you're taking on the responsibility not to mind the consequences of that, e.g. feral yobs behaving antisocially and so on.

I don't like big, bossy government any more than anybody else who has a basically right-of-centre (in the libertarian sense) outlook on life, but some government is necessary to prevent negative consequences that far outweigh the restrictions needed to avoid them.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

And do you believe that there should be absolutely no regulation of parents to ensure that they bring their children up in a basically responsible way? If so, you're taking on the responsibility not to mind the consequences of that, e.g. feral yobs behaving antisocially and so on.

There's a school of thought that argues if government assumes responsibility for regulating behaviour that encourages people to abrogate any responsibility for influencing behaviour in their families and communities. The state effectively becomes a massive SEP field generator.

Re. the NHS. The suggestion that creation of the NHS, funded by compulsory taxation, means that strangers can dictate to you what you do with your own body is about as big a libertarian no-no as there can be.

HOLA4416

Nobody is suggesting that anybody be hanged or put into care. But schools, like all other major organisations and society in general, have rules; and if people continue just to ignore them after repeated attempts to address the issue politely (and initially, informally), then you have to do something. If this kid gets into the habit of eating nothing but flour, fat and sugar (which is basically what his lunchbox, as described in the initial story, contained), then he is being set up for chronic and serious health problems in later life (which taxpayers, via the NHS, will end up having to pay for), regardless of whether or not you believe that dairy is specifically problematic.

If you believe that schools have no right to promote public health among their pupils, then do you also believe that PE lessons should be scrapped? And do you believe that there should be absolutely no regulation of parents to ensure that they bring their children up in a basically responsible way? If so, you're taking on the responsibility not to mind the consequences of that, e.g. feral yobs behaving antisocially and so on.

I don't like big, bossy government any more than anybody else who has a basically right-of-centre (in the libertarian sense) outlook on life, but some government is necessary to prevent negative consequences that far outweigh the restrictions needed to avoid them.

What if I don`t agree with the School as to what constitutes healthy eating?

Am I allowed to review the evidence and form my own opinion? I can guarantee that I`ve got better track record of evidence based decision making than the government.

Bear in mind I`m a good 2 stone lighter than Jamie Oliver so I`m not too interested in following his "healthy eating" advice either.

HOLA4417

Where do you draw the line between promoting a healthy lifestyle and a 3 line whip? Punishing a parent on the basis of one child's meal a day they witness? Because of their precious guidelines?

If teachers are the arbiter of healthy living for children because they can't stand up for themselves, are teachers paragons of virtue? Are you going to ban teachers from smoking? Drinking too much, being oberweight, taking enough exercise?

HOLA4418

Where do you draw the line between promoting a healthy lifestyle and a 3 line whip? Punishing a parent on the basis of one child's meal a day they witness? Because of their precious guidelines?

If teachers are the arbiter of healthy living for children because they can't stand up for themselves, are teachers paragons of virtue? Are you going to ban teachers from smoking? Drinking too much, being oberweight, taking enough exercise?

Ah the "staff room"! Seeing teachers in their "natural habitat"! :blink:

HOLA4419

Tut-tut.

You should realise that schools are slowly being turned into prisons. Why should the rules of behaviour for the inmates match those of the guards? I'd wager that mini-cheddars are not forbidden contraband in the teacher's common room.

As for prisons, I see Gove wants the school day to be extended to ten hours, to make it easier, I suppose, for the two wage slaves shackled to the dead weight of their mortgage to stay afloat in their sea of debt.

ed. nonsense written first time around!

HOLA4420

I trained with a graduate teacher training college in NZ that pushed all of those things. They couldn't force you, and wouldn't dream of forcing you, but we are talking experts in spooky mind games. You could accuse them of several faults but hypocrisy wouldn't be one of them.

edit: Healthy eating policies were followed (voluntarily) in all the staff rooms I used in NZ schools. I don't know if the UK education system is equally consistent.

HOLA4421

I trained with a graduate teacher training college in NZ that pushed all of those things. They couldn't force you, and wouldn't dream of forcing you, but we are talking experts in spooky mind games. You could accuse them of several faults but hypocrisy wouldn't be one of them.

edit: Healthy eating policies were followed (voluntarily) in all the staff rooms I used in NZ schools. I don't know if the UK education system is equally consistent.

AB is a teetotal vegetarian so I'm barking up the wrong tree anyway.

HOLA4422

As for prisons, I see Gove wants the school day to be extended to ten hours, to make it easier, I suppose, for the two wage slaves shackled to the dead weight of their mortgage to stay afloat in their sea of debt.

I thought that. 10 hour days for children - which is completely bonkers and I imagine would be counter-productive - means parents can be in less of a rush to get home.

Also conditions children to long days slaving away.

HOLA4423

I thought that. 10 hour days for children - which is completely bonkers and I imagine would be counter-productive - means parents can be in less of a rush to get home.

Also conditions children to long days slaving away.

Have to get them on the capitalist treadmill as soon as they are potty-trained. Have to keep feeding the machine. Got them at the other end with working till they drop so now get them as soon as they are out of the womb.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

They will still have to rush home to do a quick two hours of cramming of basic reading, basic maths and basic letter formation. They will get two hours of home work as well which involves you googling stuff for them on tinternet.

My daughter is 7. They have her 6 hours a day. They are paid from my taxes. Please teach her to read and write and do basic maths. I dont want her to learn about African farming methods and the art of Andy Whorhol. When she is more mature and has the ability to read she canfind that out forherself.

I should back charge the school for the two hours tuition my wife gives our girl. Its unfair on my missus and on our girl who should enjoy her home time or just recharge from other recreational activitties. But the ones I feel sorry for are the kids whos parwnts dont give a toss and wont make up forthe lack of teaching at school.

Didnt polpot exterminate teachers....mmmmm I wonder why.

Edit: actually pol pot was a teacher. That makes sense too.

Archived