House Price Crash Forum

When The Immigrants Come, Will They Mainly Stay In London

FANG

HOLA441

I know London is being heavily advertised to this new wave of immigrants but do you think that the majority of them will stay in the capital or will they move to other cities on masse.

Could this lead to civil unrest in some places, especially where public services are already under immense pressure to accommodate people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2531440/Sold-Flights-buses-Romanians-Bulgarians-head-UK.html

HOLA442
HOLA443

I know London is being heavily advertised to this new wave of immigrants but do you think that the majority of them will stay in the capital or will they move to other cities on masse.

Could this lead to civil unrest in some places, especially where public services are already under immense pressure to accommodate people.

http://www.dailymail...ns-head-UK.html

Don't believe everything you read in the Mail. Most Bulgarians and Romanians that want to come to the UK are already here.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

He does not know,

the pure fact is the unskilled cannot come until the new year to work.

http://www.dailymail...ns-head-UK.html :lol:

Again, why the lazy and factually incorrect Mail crap.

The fact is they have been here for years under Accession Rights as self-employed, even if, in reality they've been employees. All with the connivance of UK employment agencies.

Unlike you, I have first-hand experience.

HOLA447

Again, why the lazy and factually incorrect Mail crap.

The fact is they have been here for years under Accession Rights as self-employed, even if, in reality they've been employees. All with the connivance of UK employment agencies.

Unlike you, I have first-hand experience.

Self-employed, as in exploiting the 'Big Issue' scam?

I'm all for the educated and skilled from these countries making their way here but I do wonder what the balance will end up being ....

Edited by montesquieu

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

If they are from the EU then we should allow them. Whether Romania and Bulgaria should be full members of the EU is another matter.

IIRC, Britain has long been one of the most enthusiastic proponents of EU expansion towards the East.

If the EU economies were roughly on a parallel footing, then there wouldn't be a problem with complete freedom of movement for labour and benefits.

Unfortunately, since a bunch of underdeveloped Eastern Bloc countries came in (at Britain's behest) the system doesn't really work any more. And of course, Britain is screaming loudest about the situation that they have created.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2531440/Sold-Flights-buses-Romanians-Bulgarians-head-UK.html

Unless Pret A Manger are hiring thousands of new recruits I don't see many staying in London

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Yes, of course. And to capital and goods too. That'll teach 'em.

I am all for free trade areas and free movement however the issue some have is that with a welfare state in place we need to protect the wage levels of our unskilled otherwise there is no incentive to work . Letting skilled people in is 100% doesn't effect this.

Allowing unskilled workers to compete for wages can cause knock on issues.

We should welcome all people to live and work here ( I say this a ukip voter) but where is the protection for low earners who now have to compete .

Don't get me started on the subsidy this will provide to housing benefit dependant landlords whilst pricing out median wage renters .

Protecting our poorest workers is far more compassionate than any lefty ranting about daily mail etc but I suppose some people want cheaper cleaners and don't mind whom they exploit

Edited by Sir Harold m

HOLA4423

Well rumours abound:

THE 1ST LOT OF Romanians that's 1,800 are to be given temp accommodation on A specially adapted camp site in the Shaw area....they are expected to be in Shaw after 1.30am tonight

sorry but why are they being given public assistance?, fine if they want to come but they should sort out their own accommodation; that's what my parents had to do when they emigrated here in 60s.

HOLA4424

sorry but why are they being given public assistance?, fine if they want to come but they should sort out their own accommodation; that's what my parents had to do when they emigrated here in 60s.

I'm opposed to the opening of borders but we also have a responsibility to look after people we've invited here , that's something I hope we don't lose about our National character

HOLA4425

They have the same rights as anyone in UK, it matters not if you have worked and paid taxes for the past 40 years or have just stepped off the boat from eastern europe. Full access to housing, education, health care, benefits etc just the same as you and me. Ask yourself, would you rather the poor and unemployed in eastern europe of UK.

edit to add, you would have the same rights as any eastern european in their home country as well so it is all very fair!!!

What access to public housing do i have here? None as a single man. As for same rights etc, as a Brit try that in France or Germany and let me know if you get treated the same as a local.