House Price Crash Forum

Saturday Shopping

HOLA441

I popped into my local Dixons this morning - big one on an out of town shopping centre - and it was DESERTED.

The car park outside was jammed packed but people were going to Tescos, M&S and Boots but inside the Dixons it was so deserted that several of the staff were leaning on shelves, big TVs, etc, looking very bored indeed. The check out girls were having a natter and I think there were only about 4 or 5 customers, including me, in there.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

there are a lot of big companies offering big discounts in the pre run to christmas which is unusual.

normal for none christmas stuff like say, DFS sofas, but a sale on christmas decorations ?

theres not a lot of dollar changing hands at the moment. its hard to tell for sure, as they may not spend until mid dec.

bird flus coming, winter is going to really bite and were brinking on economic recession.

or are these statements all untrue ?

HOLA443

I've just returned from a shopping trip to St Albans. For the third Saturday in a row it seemed quiet. No queue at the Early Learning Centre - this time last year the place was packed. I got a table in a coffee shop straight away - a few months ago there was no chance of one on a Saturday morning. I got talking to one of the book sellers at a book fair held regularly in the Town Hall. He had been going there for a few years and had never known such slow trade.

Is this the year Christmas will be cancelled or will consumer spending limp on until the new year?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
I was going to go to Dixons today to buy some camcorder tapes, but when I got there the store was gone. They must have closed down in the last few months.

3 camcoder tapes ? no wonder they closed !!

no. they moved to a new camcorder tape sale centre on the outskirts of town.

theres a wide selection of tapes. beta, vidio 8 and vhs to choose from. 24 hours a day. 7 days a week. plus theres optional camcover insurance and great deals of video cleaning tapes. theres even parking for a thousand cars.

HOLA4410

The only reason I was going there was because I can't be arsed to order tapes for 50p on the web and wait days for them to turn up :). According to the web site the nearest one is now about ten miles away, so they certainly won't get any more of my money again (even if I was going to buy some expensive electronics gadget from them rather than a web site).

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

3 camcoder tapes ? no wonder they closed !!

no. they moved to a new camcorder tape sale centre on the outskirts of town.

theres a wide selection of tapes. beta, vidio 8 and vhs to choose from. 24 hours a day. 7 days a week. plus theres optional camcover insurance and great deals of video cleaning tapes. theres even parking for a thousand cars.

:lol:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

So sir (says the waiter), will that be 3 rate cuts next year or 4?

:D

Still living in fantasy land then? What makes you think that interest rates will be cut just to sort this problem out? The main job of interest rates is to keep inflation on target. And what makes you think that even if rates are cut, that it will mean that houses will stop falling in value and start rising again? What about tax rises, that could well be on the cards?

Why don't you develop some more ideas, than just blurting out this idiotic notion that any sign of the economy falling to bits means that interest rates will automatically be cut to save your profits? They might not be cut. And even if they are, it might not help you.

Put another record on. Or do you only have the one?

(PS. Have you looked up meritocracy in the dictionary yet?)

Edited by Levy process

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest Bart of Darkness

So sir (says the waiter), will that be 3 rate cuts next year or 4?

:D

I like you TTRTR, you really do bring a smile to my face with your funny comments.

Keep posting. ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Debenhams website has been set up with a deactivated welcome page, a bit like flood control, it says

"Sorry, but we are experiencing high volumes of online shoppers, would you like to re-enter the site? Click here"

Cant be doing too bad, unless its a ploy to make you rush to buy things you don't need convinced that they will be gone soon.

Town centres are probably empty this weekend because it is cold, I agree.

HOLA4419

Homebase advertised a xmas sale on xmas trees on the TV.

1/3 off this weekend.

When I get to the store I find that this is 1/3 off their 'original price' not 1/3 off yesterdays price (supposedly discounted).

So instead of 1/3 off £60 it was 1/3 off of £80, when they were already selling for £60 yesterday.

Well I guess they can just kiss my ar5e.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Debenhams website has been set up with a deactivated welcome page, a bit like flood control, it says

"Sorry, but we are experiencing high volumes of online shoppers, would you like to re-enter the site? Click here"

Cant be doing too bad, unless its a ploy to make you rush to buy things you don't need convinced that they will be gone soon.

Town centres are probably empty this weekend because it is cold, I agree.

Debenhams kill their site really often - esp when they have a sale on. I assume people buy more in store.

HOLA4425

Harrow town centre is very busy and lots of carrier bags in peoples' hands. No sign of any belt tightening here. :(

Same in Uxbridge this morning. Surpirsed me as it's been emptier hands recently. Maybe the run up to Christmas is kicking in with force? Mind you, west London does have a lot of money rolling around....