House Price Crash Forum

Moronic 'one Show'

Pent Up

HOLA441

I literally have no words to express my anger. I nearly actually through my tea cup through the tv.

They did a big piece about poor people in low paid jobs forced into becoming 'property guardians' as the couldn't afford to rent/buy. These people are living in buildings were they effectively have to be a security guard as well as paying rent to live there. The rent is much lower but there a very few rights as a tenant.

Then the same idiot presenter now in the studio talks up how much a 'good start' help to buy has made by pushing up prices 3% and how there is 'still a long way to go'

Dear god! How can these morons just blatantly contradict themselves and not even realise!?

Did anyone else see this?

Edited by Pent Up

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I thought his comments were very insightful.

"House prices go up all the time by 20%. They've only gone up 3% this time so there's still a long way to go."

What an utter pr1ck. And all the other presenters were lapping it up.

Jesus wept.

I literally have no words to express my anger. I nearly actually through my tea cup through the tv.

They did a big piece about poor people in low paid jobs forced into becoming 'property guardians' as the couldn't afford to rent/buy. These people are living in buildings were they effectively have to be a security guard as well as paying rent to live there. The rent is much lower but there a very few rights as a tenant.

Then the same idiot presenter now in the studio talks up how much a 'good start' help to buy has made by pushing up prices 3% and how there is 'still a long way to go'

Dear god! How can these morons just blatantly contradict themselves and not even realise!?

Did anyone else see this?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I thought his comments were very insightful.

"House prices go up all the time by 20%. They've only gone up 3% this time so there's still a long way to go."

What an utter pr1ck. And all the other presenters were lapping it up.

Will watch it when available on iPlayer.

Sounds like the usual tripe. They've not learned anything. Small island, not enough supply for demand = year on year HPI 20%. And yet some people believe they're all victims to be pitied, both those saying it and those agreeing with it, and those acting on 5 minutes of what they see on TV. Most of them, outright owners and big debtors, happy with the notion savers are going to be wiped out.

If they're not ramping the market to their own high-equity asset HPI end, then I hope they've also bought into what they believe with jumbo mortgages, or going into BTL. 'Not earning anything in the bank.'

HOLA446

Sadly no. I've learned to switch over at 6pm for Star Trek original series on CBS Action, followed by Walker Texas Ranger, if I don't turn back to CNBC for "closing bell."

That way my TV lasts longer.

I'm surprised many of you are not watching gold go higher as the USD gets hurt. :P

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I saw it too. Just beggars belief. They were talking about the recent 3% rise as 'nothing to get too excited about yet' ... after a piece about young professionals living in disused school buildings with a bed in the old staff smoking room.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I wouldn't go as far to say Ray mears was 'uncomfortable' whilst they gloated and ramped, but he did manage to keep his face straight and stay out of it. I'd like to think he's intelligient enough to see the irony of it. His comment of "oh I dunno, £30 million?" kind of ruined their big reveal of the £7 million price tag I thought.

....bunch of twats.

HOLA4412

The other one to avoid is Countryfile, or "Rentierfile" as I call it. Accidently I caught some of it on Sunday as its repeated in between Homes Under The Hammer it seems, and its basically a corporate video for farming and green "interests."

They were doing a report about fracking, but to illustrate some of the problems they showed a bath or sink exploding into flames, on turning a tap on. It was a special effect (not real) which I thought was a slight exaggeration.

Its no wonder where the NIMBY's get their strange views about "concreting over the countryside" with this utter shite being served up hourly.

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA4413

I saw it too. Just beggars belief. They were talking about the recent 3% rise as 'nothing to get too excited about yet' ... after a piece about young professionals living in disused school buildings with a bed in the old staff smoking room.

Gloating ain't pretty.

HOLA4414

Just watched it on iplayer, at least they did highlight a couple of years when house prices fell!

HOLA4415

Is this the show that no matter what the article they have on, they always query the random guest about it; so you get some truly bizarre pairings, like Penelope Keith being asked about the banking crisis or Jimmy Carr about Iraq War veterans?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

All the excitement about Help-To-Buy. From memory: "Up 3% but house prices fell x% between 2007 and 2011, so a long way to go yet."

Notice TL didn't offer any views about how the economy is fragile. Possibly his new One Show gig covers what he lost at BBC NW Tonight due to cuts. Other people might not be as lucky, including today's people made redundant at Thomson Local.

Tony Livesey dropped from BBC's North West Tonight due to budget cuts

24 Jun 2013 17:18

The former tabloid newspaper journalist will become current affairs presenter of the One Show, on BBC One, from August

http://www.mancheste...s-north-4705958

Edited by Venger

HOLA4418

New generations of audiences are coming through, they're gonna be a lot poorer, and less inclined to watch the property ramping BBC.

I don't think new generations of audiences are coming through, especially for broadcast television. "TV is made by young people and watched by old people" as the saying goes. Broadcast TV like the One [braincell] Show where they just throw together a load of stuff to fill an hour in the schedule could well end up on a Daily Express-type path where it clings onto the same ageing audience forever by giving them an unchanging and increasingly unrealistic view of how the world is.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The other one to avoid is Countryfile, or "Rentierfile" as I call it. Accidently I caught some of it on Sunday as its repeated in between Homes Under The Hammer it seems, and its basically a corporate video for farming and green "interests."

I'd stay well away from that farmer on there, everything he gets his hands on dies.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I don't think new generations of audiences are coming through, especially for broadcast television. "TV is made by young people and watched by old people" as the saying goes. Broadcast TV like the One [braincell] Show where they just throw together a load of stuff to fill an hour in the schedule could well end up on a Daily Express-type path where it clings onto the same ageing audience forever by giving them an unchanging and increasingly unrealistic view of how the world is.

LOL!

I live abroad so don't have to bother with the BBC most of the time. However, I associate the One Show with death. It was always on in the hospital ward when I used to visit a relation who was terminally ill. The saving grace was most of the patients were too far gone to be interested in it...

HOLA4425