HOLA441
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Plans to upgrade the A14. However a toll road could be put in place. Good thing or not?

If it's anything like the M6toll it will be an unmitigated disaster, overpriced and unused. What was supposed to be the northern ring road around Birmingham carries less traffic today than when it opened in 2004.

HOLA445

No problem with a Toll Road...as long as the people collecting the tolls pay for the thing in its entirety, and its not someone collecting revenues via Vehicle Excise Duty.

HOLA446

If it's anything like the M6toll it will be an unmitigated disaster, overpriced and unused. What was supposed to be the northern ring road around Birmingham carries less traffic today than when it opened in 2004.

The screws are on, the M6 toll might get busier if this FT article is correct:

"M6 Toll road’s owner offers free transit as part of deal on debt"

Classic disaster, UK style.

The numbers using it are crazy compared to the M6 through Birmingham, something like 4:1 overall and 9:1 with heavies. I'd have thought heavies might recoup the £11 pretty sharpish at busy times with extra fuel in stop start traffic, but obviously not.

Harry, do you use the toll?

HOLA447

Upgrade the M14? Much needed, get on with it ASAP. Toll road? Completely stupid idea as the M6 Toll has starkly demonstrated. I've not checked the details but would it leave anyone not willing to be ripped off with an even worse alternative than the current A14?

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I went through the Mersey Tunnel on my motorcycle the other day. Bikes are not charged a toll fee.

I now have a Plan b business plan for a low cost bike taxi service

A pillion passenger and I will wear fat suits to hide 2 more on board child size passengers, so travelling '4 up' ;):unsure:

fwqc.jpg

HOLA4412

I went through the Mersey Tunnel on my motorcycle the other day. Bikes are not charged a toll fee.

I now have a Plan b business plan for a low cost bike taxi service

A pillion passenger and I will wear fat suits to hide 2 more on board child size passengers, so travelling '4 up' ;):unsure:

TAXI !!!!

81719d1337171047-two-wheeled-car-two-wheel-car-002.jpg

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Could somebody enlighten me please: are they planning an additional road (a la M6T), or suggesting making the existing A14 into a toll road? Which would mean you have no choice but to pay a toll (or go back to 1950s B roads).

If so, they're taking the piss.

I think it means they keep the old one (4-lane dual carriageway, although they talk about removing the bit around Huntingdon because its too close and noisy for the town centre - cant say ive ever noticed - and the overpass is detiriorating) but add a new 6-lane road all the way from Milton to the A1M.

Personally, i think its too much. Just adding a 3rd lane in either direction between Huntingdon and Cambridge would increase capacity by 50% and cost about a 10th of the price.

Its not about that really though, its to make privatization more practical on a road by road basis when that day finally comes in the not too distant future.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I pay my road fund licence - why are they asking me (and millions others) to pay once again to use the sodding roads. :rolleyes:

So they can get their share to pay for whatever crap they pay for, then also sell the roads and get a few hundred billion to fund pensions for another couple of years. Not just roads, my local council is trying to sell hundreds of bits of land to fill their own pensions holes.

HOLA4420

There hasn't been an earmarked, ring-fenced road tax since 1937.

There's a duty on some vehicles.The money from that duty goes into the general tax pot.

Roads are paid for from the national and local tax pots and therefore compete for funds with everything else paid for from national and local taxes.

HOLA4421

There hasn't been an earmarked, ring-fenced road tax since 1937.

There's a duty on some vehicles.The money from that duty goes into the general tax pot.

Roads are paid for from the national and local tax pots and therefore compete for funds with everything else paid for from national and local taxes.

It's true, but it might be nice if the roads were maintained as a priority. But the more parts that need replaced on a car as a result of crap roads also generates VAT income for Government, and income taxes from those employed in the fitting of replacement parts and carrying out repairs. I don't doubt some cars are also replaced earlier as a result of non-economic repair work being required earlier in their lifetimes, triggering more VAT payments.

Some roads are truly atrocious, necessitating weaving around the lane just to avoid putting a wheel in a hole, whether you are on four wheels or two. It's crazy to have roads like that, some of which are on Primary routes, not some backwater used by ten cars a day. I've met people who are delighted with the crap state of the roads, and wish it to continue as a means of showing their contempt for motorists. It's not a mainstream view, but I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few of those in Westminster shared a similar outlook.

HOLA4422

As one who lives a mile away from the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon all I want is a widening of this 15ish mile stretch of road and overhaul of the Girton 'junction'. Either that or a removal of all lorries, whatever is easier...

HOLA4423

As one who lives a mile away from the A14 between Cambridge and Huntingdon all I want is a widening of this 15ish mile stretch of road and overhaul of the Girton 'junction'. Either that or a removal of all lorries, whatever is easier...

Oh and as one of the higher VED paying drivers I would expect free travel on any efficient new toll road

HOLA4424

It's true, but it might be nice if the roads were maintained as a priority. But the more parts that need replaced on a car as a result of crap roads also generates VAT income for Government, and income taxes from those employed in the fitting of replacement parts and carrying out repairs. I don't doubt some cars are also replaced earlier as a result of non-economic repair work being required earlier in their lifetimes, triggering more VAT payments.

Some roads are truly atrocious, necessitating weaving around the lane just to avoid putting a wheel in a hole, whether you are on four wheels or two. It's crazy to have roads like that, some of which are on Primary routes, not some backwater used by ten cars a day. I've met people who are delighted with the crap state of the roads, and wish it to continue as a means of showing their contempt for motorists. It's not a mainstream view, but I wouldn't be surprised if more than a few of those in Westminster shared a similar outlook.

You mean 'People who spend most of their time in London - where car ownership is relatively optional - and when they do leave go by train?'

HOLA4425