House Price Crash Forum

Do People Still Watch England Friendly's?

reddog

HOLA441

I am 37 and remember being really into watch England (football) games in the 90's and even into the mid 2000's, even to to point of being very interested in friendly's and qualifiers. But now I am less and less bothered, I still watch the World Cup / European Championships (but usually have in the back of my mind, exactly how hard are some of these players trying?).

Just wondered if anyone else is losing interest, I guess it may be that I am getting older, or the fact that I work with many German's - so showing lack of interest is good defence against England's latest humiliation (but to be fair I was losing interest way before i moved to Switzerland).

My lack of interest suddenly hit me when I saw on facebook that an old school friend was taking his son to the England - Ireland game. I must admit I thought why bother! (he attends England games regularly). Obviously not a good idea to write that on facebook so I thought I'd write it here.

HOLA442

Just wondered if anyone else is losing interest

By the lack of response here I guess so. I decided to support Uruguay instead of England in the last World Cup and had a fantastic time, much more enjoyable.

HOLA443

If you want to see passion and these guys wanting to win - then watch champions league football. The tears in them matches are real.

At national level they couldn't possibly care less. And that's at tournaments. Let alone friendlies.

I wouldn't waste my time watching a 20 second highlight package from an international friendly.

HOLA444

If you want to see passion and these guys wanting to win - then watch champions league football. The tears in them matches are real.

At national level they couldn't possibly care less. And that's at tournaments. Let alone friendlies.

I wouldn't waste my time watching a 20 second highlight package from an international friendly.

Pretty much this, they have little to no incentive to do well at international level.

I will watch it if it is on and there is nothing else going on, for example I had the second half on yesterday, but that was only as it was on "normal telly" and I was doing something else at the same time.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Yes, used to be a huge England fan. After the 'golden generation' (becks/owen/scoles/lampard, etc.) started to fade interest levels dropped.

a) Virtually ANY Englishman playing in the premier league, even if a bit part player for their team WILL get an England cap or two at the very least. Where's the prestige?

B) You can just tell that with one or two exceptions they don't really care about playing for England. It's a sideline. Getting lots of money and playing for a 'big club' are the main priorities.

c) England play neanderthal football STILL. With few stars at their peak right now, England's uncreative agricultural hoofball style just isn't fun to watch. Even when we beat a European minnow by a goal or two you know you'll have to watch England under pressure for long periods as a country of 5 million with good technical players stroke the ball around.

d) I laugh when people say the PL is the best league in the world. The chequebook teams measure up to the best but I'd always fancy a Sevilla to beat a Stoke, a Hannover to beat a Sunderland, a Lazio to beat an Aston Villa. It's football vs. hoofball.

HOLA447
Guest eight

I don't watch the games but I relish all the pundits post-match English footie disaster angst.

As others have implied, if you were on 100K per week would you risk years of that for a friendly?

Clearly not Rooney. I stumbled across them showing highlights of his Man Utd debut on Sky the other day (a blistering hat-trick vs. Fenerbache). Now he can't even complete a five yard pass. He's like a fat shadow of the player he used to be.

Transfer request? **** off, more like.

HOLA448

I was there last night (but only because someone gave me free club wembley gold tickets). Half time free bar and a free programme, plus a free tea to take back out and stick in my cup holder. I can see why corporates disappear 5 minutes before half time and don't come back until the hour mark. Much more entertaining behind the scenes than on the pitch. Couldn't even bring myself to cheer much...now if it was a club game it would have been a different matter!

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I had it on the background last night. I'm not convinced friendlies serve any function for anyone.

They're not even selling out anymore.

I'm a big football fan, but I think we might have already passed 'peak' football.

A good world cup might save things, but anything like 2010 and the decline could be swift.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I had it on the background last night. I'm not convinced friendlies serve any function for anyone.

They're not even selling out anymore.

I'm a big football fan, but I think we might have already passed 'peak' football.

A good world cup might save things, but anything like 2010 and the decline could be swift.

Sports like footie and F1 are losing future generations of paying punters due to being mostly on pay channels.

Given a choice of spending a grand on Sky or buying a new bike or surfboard???

HOLA4413

TBH I find it very hard to get excited by any England match, friednly or otherwise.

Bottom line is they don't deliver quality play at the national level. You would think that with the PL being what it is then footballers would become homogenised in style with so much intermixing of players.

But something almost magical occurs when you put the english guys together in a team. It's like they immediately lose 20 years in terms of tactical progress and go back to the era of Graham Taylor.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Pretty much this, they have little to no incentive to do well at international level.

You're more likely to be remembered for missing a penalty than anything else.

Only the likes of Beckham (whose ambition went beyond making money from playing and into getting more lucrative marketing opportunities) would really want to bust a gut for a national team.

HOLA4417

By the lack of response here I guess so. I decided to support Uruguay instead of England in the last World Cup and had a fantastic time, much more enjoyable.

That's the spirit. If you like football support anything other than your national team. Personally, I'm not sure which I dislike most, football or jingoism.

Archived