House Price Crash Forum

Huhne Gets More Time For Btl Maintenance

juvenal

HOLA441

A bit of perspective please.

He lied about a speeding ticket.

He'll be punished a lot more than most people who lie about their speeding ticket.

There are lots of threads here discussing tactics for lying about TV licenses for example...

Boll0x. These people set themselves up to decide the laws that govern the rest of us. As such they should be held to a higher and harsher standard.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Why has the other thread "Chris Huhne Cops A Plea" been deleted?

http://www.housepric...howtopic=187400

I get the "[#10343] We could not determine which topic you were attempting to view." error.

Or was it the OP who deleted it himself?

Its been merged in the politics area here

Son's texts to Chris Huhne: you disgust me ... own up or I'll tell police about speeding points

Youngsters today eh...... No respect for their elders..:P

HOLA445

I agree with you. Just because he appears to be a somewhat unpleasant individual, that's not grounds for giving him a longer sentence than, say, a mugger or burglar.

Perverting the course of justice is a very serious offence, which is why it carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

Huhne is on the record more than a few times denying outright that there was any substance in the allegations whatsoever, despite now deciding to plead guilty.

I can see a case for treating people in such circumstances pretty harshly, more harshly than some muggers or some burglars.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Perverting the course of justice is a very serious offence, which is why it carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

There's a difference between a policeman fitting someone up for murder and someone lieing about a speeding ticket.

Look, i'm no fan of Chris Huhne but people seem to be losing all perspective.

People imply we have amongst the most corrupt politicians in the world: because they lie about expenses and speeding tickets.

In comparison to the kind of serious corruption in pretty much all the rest of the world it's pretty laughable.

HOLA448

There's a difference between a policeman fitting someone up for murder and someone lieing about a speeding ticket.

Look, i'm no fan of Chris Huhne but people seem to be losing all perspective.

People imply we have amongst the most corrupt politicians in the world: because they lie about expenses and speeding tickets.

In comparison to the kind of serious corruption in pretty much all the rest of the world it's pretty laughable.

It's something that I have heard is quite common practise amongst the public, I guess they will think twice about doing it now.

I would imagine you need to be quite an aggressive driver to pick up enough points to get close to the limit.

I have had a licence since 1981 and i am still awaiting my first point.

This year I have come close, rode across a speed grid at about 37 in a 30 area, camera didn't trigger. Even approached a cop at 37 with a hand held speed gun in a 30 area, again didn't get the letter. Does suggest quite a bit of tolerance. I do generally stick to speed limits, so you probably get what you deserve.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

At least this Tory trougher has the decency to leave the detail on TheyWorkForYou...

James Clappison MP for Hertsmere

Register of Members’ Interests

8. Land and Property

27 acres of farmland, and a cricket pitch let out on a peppercorn rent, in Patrington, East Yorkshire, from which rental income is received.

26 rented houses in East Yorkshire, five of which are registered in joint name with my wife.

His rental empire is in North Humberside :lol::lol:

Next year "Rental income from property in East Yorkshire" (Nap)

HOLA4411

HOLA4412

If he had taken regular doses of Bromide this would never have come out and he would still be a Minister. :rolleyes:

She would go on about how she and this man were having wild sex several times a night. She was quite surprised by the whole thing as she'd not been into men for a long time. Apparently the sex was incredible.'

Being Carina and Chris. :D

Edited by Charlie The Tramp Returns

HOLA4413

Its been merged in the politics area here

Son's texts to Chris Huhne: you disgust me ... own up or I'll tell police about speeding points

Youngsters today eh...... No respect for their elders..:P

There were 3 topics on the same subject in three different forums so 2 were merged in Politics and eventually the one on the main board will join them.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

There were 3 topics on the same subject in three different forums so 2 were merged in Politics and eventually the one on the main board will join them.

I made an observation and answered the posters question not a criticism.

I originally placed it in off topic as it is clearly not HPC or economy related. You as one of the moderators are free to send it wherever you like.

As you say eventually all threads will be merged.

HOLA4416

Shame he didn't beat Clegg in the leadership contest.

Coalition party leader, deputy PM going down would have been far more fun.

Now we get another 2 years of this lot. Grim.

Suspect Any charges would have mysteriously disappeared if he was deputy pm.

Seem to recall he was leaking unflattering material about Clegg to the press which is presumably why the charges aren't disappearing and may be why they appeared in the first place. Probably didn't understand that Clegg is a carefully constructed safety pressure valve and hate figure for both stupid Tory and Lib Dem voting believers in the system who might query why nothing they voted for is actually happening.

HOLA4417

I made an observation and answered the posters question not a criticism.

I originally placed it in off topic as it is clearly not HPC or economy related. You as one of the moderators are free to send it wherever you like.

As you say eventually all threads will be merged.

Sorry I thought I had replied to the other poster's question. It was kind of you to advise him what had happened.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Huhne is a quintessential figure for our time. Overweening self-confidence; endless ambition; the belief that the rules don't apply to him; a smooth duplicity and above all, the lust for money and property, property, property...

The consequence? Disgrace; shattered career, prison bars and children who hate him...

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

A bit of perspective please.

He lied about a speeding ticket.

He'll be punished a lot more than most people who lie about their speeding ticket.

There are lots of threads here discussing tactics for lying about TV licenses for example...

So you think that an MP in a position of public trust perverting the course of justice is on a level with someone who refuses to pay an unfair TV tax for a service they do not want, I'm not sure what point you are making.

He should be made an example of, it's because of our reluctance to hold people who wish to govern to book over illegal activity that corruption in the UK is rife, I have to wonder why you are downplaying it, when is corruption OK, how do you quantify acceptable corruption?. :rolleyes:

Edited by JustAnotherProle

HOLA4422

Huhne is not all out of friends though- this hagiography appears in the paper no thinking adult is seen with, the Indy:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/if-only-chris-huhne-were-remembered-for-his-public-achievements-not-his-private-sins-fat-chance-8480607.html

If only Chris Huhne were remembered for his public achievements, not his private sins. Fat chance

Notorious now as a father who fell out with his son, he was once a brilliant journalist, MEP, MP, and Cabinet Minister who probably ought to have been Lib Dem leader

Naturally it already seems that, if Chris Huhne were run over by a bus tomorrow, the obituaries would focus on his extraordinary fall from grace in public. They’d presumably make passing reference to the unbearable text message exchange he seems to have had with his traumatised son. It is hard to imagine the pain it must have caused him to type: “I have no intention of sending Mum to Holloway Prison for three months. Dad”.

But Huhne, who must feel like he’s in something like a living hell, ought in the end to be remembered for his public achievements rather than private sins. Exceptionally bright, he took a strong first from Oxford. He was then an acclaimed Business Editor of The Independent, a brilliant entrepreneur in the City, a brave and principled MEP, a diligent and popular MP, and universally recognised as one of the most effective ministers in government.

where does this guy get off. Traumatised son, sure, but it's a bit of strecth to imply it's the son with the problem, not his old man. Despicable toadying.

For anyone who can take it, more at the link.

Edited by cheeznbreed

HOLA4423

I've made no suggestions regarding what may or may not be an appropriate sentence.

I don't regard the fact that politicians in other parts of the world get away with x, y or z as a decent reason to suppose that a particular offence should attract a lesser sentence than it otherwise might in the UK.

Laugh away if you like.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425