House Price Crash Forum

May 2012 Uk Trade Balance

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Anyone else think that the UK economy has gone off the cliff and is accelerating rapidly downwards?

As late as 2000/2001 it was possible for UK to turn the ship around and become a strong economy and start paying off the debt.

It is impossible now , default is the inevitable outcome, the only question is when?

HOLA445

As late as 2000/2001 it was possible for UK to turn the ship around and become a strong economy and start paying off the debt.

It is impossible now , default is the inevitable outcome, the only question is when?

Agreed. The tories were simply taking over an oil tanker 10 foot from the rocks. Turn the wheel if you like - it's going to make no difference.

Let's hope this utterly screws people who have smugly been living off the debt of the next generation. Most will be too old to work, employment prospects will be dire. Sorry pops, I don't want a big issue.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Any link to the fact that it's the worst on record?

Looks like only FX news feeds onto it at the moment, the main stream media will most likely just ignore it, I thought this was good

http://www.forexpros.com/news/economic-indicators/u.k.-trade-balance-falls-more-than-expected-234871

Forexpros - The U.K.’s trade balance fell more-than-expected last month, official data showed on Friday.

FX Pros? WTF

Strangely Sterling rallied on the back of this news, so maybe it doesn't matter :huh:

Edited by neil324

HOLA448
HOLA449

Couldn't find any reference in there to these being the worst figures on record???

Some of the FX feeds state it as a record.

Anyway looks a mute point, Sterling rallied when it printed at 9.30am. Maybe some more experienced can comment on that though.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The debt is manageable. It would be a good idea to stop borrowing more right now, but the £1 trillion we owe can be coped with - it would be like someone having a mortgage of less than one year's salary.

HOLA4415

But, but We've been persuing a low value pound strategy! It can't be this way!

Ah, you see clearly we're not doing enough printing and 0.5% base rates are simply punishingly high!

Let's monetise another few hundred billion quid of our debt and cut rates to zero. When something isn't working, it always makes sense to do more of it, after all ... :lol:

In view of the rather obvious fact that the British economy is totally shagged, I wonder how long before markets twig that the UK is not some sort of safe haven just because it's superficially less ugly that the neighbouring Eurozone thanks to the authorities willingness to monetise debt to paper over the cracks in the short term?

HOLA4416

I don't think the debt or the economy is the real problem. I think the real problem is the fact that we have corrupt idiot politicians, who are controlled by banking elite psychopaths, and a moronic mainstream media. Plus the majority of the population is ignorant, selfish and stupid.

However, there is enough talent and drive in the rest of the population to sort this out, given a chance.

HOLA4417

Clearly, the notion of exporting our way to success is little more than a pipedream.

I don't think you can say that based on one month's figures.

Growth by exporting is a 10-20 year game. China and Germany didn't spring up their manufacturing bases overnight.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Growth by exporting is a 10-20 year game. China and Germany didn't spring up their manufacturing bases overnight.

True enough. But I was reminded of something Kyle Bass said when he approched the 'macro guys' at the Fed and pointed out that US sovereign debt was going to blow up unless they changed course.

"We'll export our way out, like Japan."

Bass expressed incredulity. Everybody in the world is in the same game, there's simply not enough demand to go round.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

No, but there is going in the right direction, and going in the wrong direction...

Stimulating debt-consumption, which labour want to do, and now Osbourne seems to have capitulated into doing is the one way not to rectify the trade imbalance.

HOLA4422

No, but there is going in the right direction, and going in the wrong direction...

Stimulating debt-consumption, which labour want to do, and now Osbourne seems to have capitulated into doing is the one way not to rectify the trade imbalance.

People have human rights you know. And debt based consumption is one of those rights

HOLA4423

The debt is manageable. It would be a good idea to stop borrowing more right now, but the £1 trillion we owe can be coped with - it would be like someone having a mortgage of less than one year's salary.

Spain's debt was a whole lot less than that. Indeed, very comfortably manageable on the 'salary' it used to have when GDP was inflated by HPI.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425