House Price Crash Forum

Anecdotal (mew)

Bear Goggles

HOLA441

Meet up with a business acquaintence yesterday. He's just managed to sell his house in West London. He's not a happy bunny!

He has had to move because his wife is expecting a baby they're in a 1 bed flat and they want more space. He's found a new house and they expect to be moving before the end of the month. They've had their present house on the market for 9 months and have had to reduce the price twice and accept a 'low ball offer' just to get moving (I didn't find out what it's been reduced from or to unfortuately)

Anyway, he said 'This one's going to cost us big'. I asked why, they bought the house 4 years ago and must have 'made' loads from it. It turns out that they MEWed 40k from it and now they can't afford to trade up. They've had to buy way out of town in an area they don't like just to get the space.

I asked him what he'd spent the 40k on. "dunno!". he said. (I notced that he arrived to the meeting in a nearly new top of the range BMW 3 series). Oh well should help with the long commute to work I suppose.

This guy is 37 years old and runs his own business. "Struggling to pay for a 2 bed house with a baby on the way wasn't part of the game plan" apparently.

It's funny, when I last saw him he was thinking about getting his new car and said something like this to me: "You know, when I look at people driving around in the lastest BMWs I think to myself - w4nker! But then in my bussiness you can't afford not to look like a w4nker!" (He works in PR) ;)

HOLA442
HOLA443

Get a 'good' job with a good salary and then you realise the salary ain't so good as you have to pay a great deal of it just to have the right image for the job. Nuts!

I always arrive at work dressed in my 'dirty biker' gear. Not sure what that says about my image! :rolleyes:

Nomadd

HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest Charlie The Tramp
This guy is 37 years old and runs his own business. "Struggling to pay for a 2 bed house with a baby on the way wasn't part of the game plan" apparently.

I would think in the coming recession there will not be much PR work available, surely PR is for boom times.

HOLA446

I would think in the coming recession there will not be much PR work available, surely PR is for boom times.

I dunno... there'll be plenty of opportunities to do the following:

a ) deny a recession is happening

b ) insist that a recovery is on the way

c ) the recession is not out fault

HOLA447

You KNOW the property boom has gone out of control when someone approaching 40 who owns his own business is struggling to afford anything better than a poky 1-bed flat. God help all the twenty- and thirty-somethings trapped in minimum- or slave wage jobs.

HOLA448

You KNOW the property boom has gone out of control when someone approaching 40 who owns his own business is struggling to afford anything better than a poky 1-bed flat. God help all the twenty- and thirty-somethings trapped in minimum- or slave wage jobs.

They're already helping themselves, a record number (>380k) left the country last year, as much as we love the expats remember that the greedy folks hoping to cash out of their house and move to Spain only form a part of those leaving.

The Aussies are coming the other way

HOLA449

It's funny, when I last saw him he was thinking about getting his new car and said something like this to me: "You know, when I look at people driving around in the lastest BMWs I think to myself - w4nker! But then in my bussiness you can't afford not to look like a w4nker!" (He works in PR) ;)

Wonder whether they are all secretly thinking that, but they are all too busy containing information to be brave enough to say it first? :lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4410

Well we are talking about London here where prices really are outrageous.

I never thought I'd see the day when you'd need to be on a £60k salary (assuming minimal deposit) to get a mortgage on a 1 bed flat in a dump like Newham or Hackney!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I never thought I'd see the day when you'd need to be on a £60k salary (assuming minimal deposit) to get a mortgage on a 1 bed flat in a dump like Newham or Hackney!

I agree to an extent.

Take a one bed flat in Worthing, about £130k. Average wage? F'All, it's full of pensioners.

London will get hit hard, but there are plenty of small towns that are going to be devastated.

HOLA4413

Of cause, we're talking about a 1 bed flat in Notting Hill here so I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. However the very fact that you have to MEW to the tune of 40k to sustain the lifestyle that comes with the job shows that the sums probably don't add up for a lot of people.

You don't need to be on 60k though, that's the point. You just have to be willing to lie to buy.

The banks have a lot to answer for, but so do the idiots that have borrowed / mewed and screwed it up for the rest of us.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Meet up with a business acquaintence yesterday. He's just managed to sell his house in West London. He's not a happy bunny!

He has had to move because his wife is expecting a baby they're in a 1 bed flat and they want more space. He's found a new house and they expect to be moving before the end of the month. They've had their present house on the market for 9 months and have had to reduce the price twice and accept a 'low ball offer' just to get moving (I didn't find out what it's been reduced from or to unfortuately)

Anyway, he said 'This one's going to cost us big'. I asked why, they bought the house 4 years ago and must have 'made' loads from it. It turns out that they MEWed 40k from it and now they can't afford to trade up. They've had to buy way out of town in an area they don't like just to get the space.

I asked him what he'd spent the 40k on. "dunno!". he said. (I notced that he arrived to the meeting in a nearly new top of the range BMW 3 series). Oh well should help with the long commute to work I suppose.

i don't want to start a sh!t fight here, but, your post just doesn't ring as very true for reasons including those by the other posters on here - not least shaker baby, and charlie (PR :lol::lol::lol: )

he's 37.

that's old to be living in a one-bed flat with a woman. it's even older still to be having a first (or any) baby.

you say he runs his own business in a manner that suggests he's a succesful man (this is where charlie dug his knife into very exposed flesh)

mew'd 40k!!!!, what kind of a 'business man' would use his own money in this way when he has perfectly legitimate means of robbing his shareholders and gordon brown instead via percs and write offs?

AWOOGA. we don't like it from the bulls, and we don't like it from the bears either.

HOLA4416

i don't want to start a sh!t fight here, but, your post just doesn't ring as very true for reasons including those by the other posters on here - not least shaker baby, and charlie (PR :lol::lol::lol: )

he's 37.

that's old to be living in a one-bed flat with a woman. it's even older still to be having a first (or any) baby.

you say he runs his own business in a manner that suggests he's a succesful man (this is where charlie dug his knife into very exposed flesh)

mew'd 40k!!!!, what kind of a 'business man' would use his own money in this way when he has perfectly legitimate means of robbing his shareholders and gordon brown instead via percs and write offs?

AWOOGA. we don't like it from the bulls, and we don't like it from the bears either.

There are a lot of assumptions in there about what people do and don't do at what ages. Personally I think Freud had it right - define normality by abnormality rather than assuming what is normal to start. eg. since when is it normal that two people should have two bedrooms. This is a very modern assumption. Success is also a very relative thing. For a lot of small successful consultant professionals 40K is still a lot of money. And a successful businessman in that field might have no staff, and be very sensitive to economic downturns.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
this top job he has cant be that good,

since he cant house his small family in a simple 2 bed house.

a muppet.

Or alternatively, this housing market must be insanely overpriced, for someone on decent wedge not to be able to house his small family in a simple 2-bed house. You, my friend, are the muppet in this scenario.

he's 37.

For a man that is not old at all. Remember that Des O'Connor fathered a child at the ripe old age of 72, almost TWICE the age that you mention. In fact I would consider that any man who has a child before he is in his late thirties will probably not be financially comfortable enough to give a child a stable upbringing.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

he's 37.

Oh dear, oh dear. I don't really care if you believe me - in fact for all I know it may be BS, he may have been lying to me, he may really have 16 kids 18 BMWs all paid for. It's just an anecdote.

As for robbing shareholders, I'll have to mention that to him next time I see him. But with only 4 people in the company (one of whom is his wife) I'm not sure who that leaves to rob!

So - AWOOGA back at ya matey :P

HOLA4421
Guest The Dude

he's 37.

"he's 37.

that's old to be living in a one-bed flat with a woman. it's even older still to be having a first (or any) baby"

Losing faith.....you're spouting complete shite once again with your sterotyping of people. AGE DON'T MATTER....I'm not defending this plonker by the way, but s'pose his age was 36...is he too old then?.....or what about 21....too old?..ok..5 years old?....still too old? Get rid of your prejudices LF.....

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

he has put chasing the GBP above life, love and family and it is clearly paying dividends (of the fcuked negative kind)

it's very simple, if you wanna have lots of money then you have to work very, very hard with ever diminishing returns and at the detriment to life.

if you want life then forget that cr@p, stay out of debt, live by your means and find a soul mate..... and for god's sake, leave home NOW! i visit my parents regularly and it's lovely to see them but jesus christ, anyone who is living at home at > 24 needs putting down.

HOLA4425
Or alternatively, this housing market must be insanely overpriced, for someone on decent wedge not to be able to house his small family in a simple 2-bed house. You, my friend, are the muppet in this scenario.

anyway, hes a muppet for trying, therefore allowing this situation to be seen as acceptable.

also a muppet for lending like an idiot and a total muppet for working PR.

Archived