House Price Crash Forum

Will The Temptation To Privatise The Nhs Become Too Strong?

Trampa501

HOLA441

So you'd prefer Zambian or Somalian "health care", then?

Moronic comment. Presumably from a Moron.

Of course free marketeers do not want to copy a 3rd world countries healthcare anymore than we want to copy 3rd world restaurants. Its just an absurd point to make.

But of course it is impossible to ever converse with a leftie on these matters, as all they can do is dream up far-fetched and ludicrous straw-man arguments.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Oh sorry I didn't realise the NHS was having to compete with a theoretical system that doesn't, and never could, exist.

In that case you win - your imaginary system would be better than my real life, backed with evidence, system.

What a ****. This is typical of discussing this subject with lefties, all they ever do is tell you what they have decided you believe in, which is some ludicrous straw-man and then attack that ludicrous position .

Well if you want an example start with what Switzerland use.

HOLA443

Moronic comment. Presumably from a Moron.

Of course free marketeers do not want to copy a 3rd world countries healthcare anymore than we want to copy 3rd world restaurants. Its just an absurd point to make.

But of course it is impossible to ever converse with a leftie on these matters, as all they can do is dream up far-fetched and ludicrous straw-man arguments.

The poster suggetsed the NHS be scrapped & that in its place we copy "any other bloody system".

But of course it is impossible to ever converse with a moron on these matters, as they are unable to recognise irony.

HOLA444

What a ****. This is typical of discussing this subject with lefties, all they ever do is tell you what they have decided you believe in, which is some ludicrous straw-man and then attack that ludicrous position .

A more expensive system with similar outcomes.

Costs 10.6% of their GDP compared to ours at 8.6%

How is it better?

HOLA445
HOLA446

The NHS is a failure.

- It does not make efficient, or even slightly efficient, use of the resources thrown at it.

- It's not been copied as it is crap. Some other Countries may have a similar scheme, but none has anything as inefficient and monolithic as the NHS.

- It consistently provides healthcare results lower than that of other European Nations.

- It is ruled by massive vested interests (Trade Union's of the Doctors and Nurses for a start).

- It has a management system from Hell.

It's crap. Scrap it, copy the French, or German, or Australian, or Irish, or any other bloody system. The NHS is causing unnecessary suffering and premature death for thousands of people each year - It's time for reform, we can't continue to chuck money at it in the hope it will improve, history tells us it will not.

I've read some utter utter cr4p on here, but this takes the pi$$.

You'll be trying to convince us all there's no M in Moron next.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I don't think it is fair to compare Singapore - it is a city state of 5m people and has central planning that would drive people mad here.

OK if you really think it is unfair to include Singapore..

Actually UK spends 9.3% (2009 Data) of GDP on healthcare.. (expectancy M/F : 78/82)

South Korea on 6.5% (77 / 83 )

Japan 8.3% (80/86)

And just found out for those who live Cuba, Cuba spends 11.8% on health care, with a 76/80 expectancy.

The other unique feature of NHS is that is is mostly funded by general taxation - which is a source of resentment, of course for those who are not using it very much (younger population).

HOLA4411

Anyone know why when we travel overseas we buy travel insurance and if we unfortunately have to use the medical part of it the first thing the hospitals of that particular country ask for are your insurance details to recover the costs.....why afaiaa in this country we treat all and sundry from anywhere for free without taking or claiming on their insurance.....my experience but correct me if I am wrong...that could save a fair sum.

HOLA4412

The Swiss are 'freemarketeers'?

#fantasist

HOLA4413

A more expensive system with similar outcomes.

Costs 10.6% of their GDP compared to ours at 8.6%

How is it better?

It's private sector see.

In KingBingo's world -

Government run = evil, devil worshiping, satanic.

Private sector = good, holy, angelic.

Therefore private sector health service must always be better. Inconvenient truths such as provided by real world studies should be ignored

HOLA4414

If you say so dear.

No, plenty of studies have shown it to be so.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2011/08/08/surprise-report-nhs-most-efficient-healthcare.

The NHS is one of the most efficient healthcare system in the world, according to a surprising new report.

In a development which will complicate the government's arguments for healthcare reform, a Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine report found only Ireland's heathcare system saved more lives per pound spent.

"The government proposals to change the NHS are largely based on the idea that the NHS is less efficient and effective than other countries, especially the US," said Professor Colin Pritchard, the Bournemouth University academic who analysed post-1980 data for the report.

"The results question why we need a big set of health reform proposals.

"The system works well. Look at the US and you can see where choice and competition gets you - pretty dismal results."

The US performed particularly badly, as did Switzerland and Portugal.

http://www.oecd.org/document/47/0,3343,en_2649_37407_37562223_1_1_1_37407,00.html

The Swiss healthcare system compares well with other OECD countries. It has universal health-insurance coverage, permitting access to a broad range of modern medical services, and patients are largely satisfied with the health care they receive. However, spending on health as a share of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is the second highest (after the U.S.) in the OECD area, while other OECD countries perform equally well, or even better, at lower cost.

etc, etc. But don't let the truth spoil your worldview.

Edited by alexw

HOLA4415

It's private sector see.

In KingBingo's world -

Therefore private sector health service must always be better. Inconvenient truths such as provided by real world studies should be ignored

Oh thanks for the heads up.

I ran out of redbull, and fell asleep halfway through his first sentence.

HOLA4416

Its an irrelevance.

I used to castigate the NHS for its unsustainable growth between 1997-2010 (its budget more than tripled, while personal incomes rose under 50%) but have noticed its the same the world over. In the US, france, germany. All heatlh expenditures, regardless of private or public ownership are unsustainable, and will cripple national economies within the decade.

Fearmongering over private ownership is a diversion from the fact that healthcare is just another Ponzi whichever way you cut it.

Edited by Executive Sadman

HOLA4417

No, plenty of studies have shown it to be so.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2011/08/08/surprise-report-nhs-most-efficient-healthcare.

The NHS is one of the most efficient healthcare system in the world, according to a surprising new report.

In a development which will complicate the government's arguments for healthcare reform, a Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine report found only Ireland's heathcare system saved more lives per pound spent.

"The government proposals to change the NHS are largely based on the idea that the NHS is less efficient and effective than other countries, especially the US," said Professor Colin Pritchard, the Bournemouth University academic who analysed post-1980 data for the report.

"The results question why we need a big set of health reform proposals.

"The system works well. Look at the US and you can see where choice and competition gets you - pretty dismal results."

The US performed particularly badly, as did Switzerland and Portugal.

any report that has the audacity and sheer front to mention the US as specifically more efficient is quite clearly a report specifically made to give a certain answer, its the equivalent of the Daily Mail generalising HB with a somali family in Mayfair, a bit embarrassing youd even post it. Not that i live in the uk but i dont think ive ever seen an article with the tories eulogising the US system of healthcare.

As for the NHS, i'll always like it as a concept, can it survive the next couple of decades, with the popn demographic? whether people want it or not id guess it has bugger all chance under any govt of seeing out this cycle and whilst the service in Switzerland is no better from experience, it undoubtedly has the huge advantage of timing on non serious issues because thats what you pay for specifically, i cant see why the actual service and results of being seen would be much different, the NHS isnt the best or worst in the world but theres alot of sh!t in the UK that needs to be addressed before the NHS which gives a pretty good tangible return for what it is unlike nearly all of the rest of govt spending

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

HOLA4418

Its also about leadership. In France their public system works great and is sustainable. In France they have a different mindset for running the government than in Britain. For example in France the brightest students in the nation hope to get into the elite universities which feed into the national bureaucracy. They also have a different ideological basis in their national bureaucracy.

In Britain the best and brightest head into the private sector. Literally no one I know who had serious brains and ambitions when young, decided to choose a career in the NHS administration or any other government bureaucracy.

HOLA4419

Its also about leadership. In France their public system works great and is sustainable. In France they have a different mindset for running the government than in Britain. For example in France the brightest students in the nation hope to get into the elite universities which feed into the national bureaucracy. They also have a different ideological basis in their national bureaucracy.

In Britain the best and brightest head into the private sector. Literally no one I know who had serious brains and ambitions when young, decided to choose a career in the NHS administration or any other government bureaucracy.

Err no

France is very much like the UK, their public system is sustainable as long as they can keep expanding debt and promises, as for your assertation on universities, what planet did you make that up on, École Paris, Oxford and Cambridge serve identical purposes, they arent so much establishments of education as establishments of Networking and those with the best networks from those days go into govt or a neat path to directorship be it in a CAC or FTSE company, if noone you knew went into govt id humbly suggest they werent in the circles you are commenting on

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

It's private sector see.

In KingBingo's world -

To be fair, the public sector funds is expenditure through stealing and threatening violence... even from the unborn.

The private, on the other hand, offers its services for which you can decline, without any theft or violence involved.

So, if KingBingo did think that, he may have a point.

HOLA4422
Will The Temptation To Privatise The Nhs Become Too Strong

November 2010 NHS sent me to a private hospital for a carpel tunnel problem. August 2011 the NHS sent me to a private hospital to remove 3 polyps. December 2011 the NHS sent me again to a private hospital for the removal of 2 very large polyps one measuring 3 CM across and the other 5 CM across. Many of my friends also have been sent to private hospitals for extensive surgery. All of us are pensioners.

It appears it is already partly privatised especially for us twirlies. :D

HOLA4423

The NHS is a failure.

- It does not make efficient, or even slightly efficient, use of the resources thrown at it.

- It's not been copied as it is crap. Some other Countries may have a similar scheme, but none has anything as inefficient and monolithic as the NHS.

- It consistently provides healthcare results lower than that of other European Nations.

- It is ruled by massive vested interests (Trade Union's of the Doctors and Nurses for a start).

- It has a management system from Hell.

It's crap. Scrap it, copy the French, or German, or Australian, or Irish, or any other bloody system. The NHS is causing unnecessary suffering and premature death for thousands of people each year - It's time for reform, we can't continue to chuck money at it in the hope it will improve, history tells us it will not.

Hilarious!

Best troll of the year.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

And this is why Britain is doomed. No-one wants to fix the problems even when they're clearly explained.

There were no facts in the that post, only opinions. Wrong opinions.

It's always pointless to debate with someone who has made their mind up already. I would never take the contrarian view that all is perfect, but to come at the discussion from the other absolute position renders further debate pointless.

Which makes it a troll.