House Price Crash Forum

Boycott Workfare---merged threads

ska_mna

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/feb/16/tesco-unpaid-work-experience-scheme?newsfeed=true

The Guardian has uncovered other adverts for similar unpaid Tesco roles posted this month in Clevedon and in Dinnington. Britain's largest private employer, which made over £3.5bn in profit last April, said that it had taken on 1,400 such claimants in the last four months. This amounts to 168,000 hours of unpaid work if all participants in the scheme work for 30 hours a week.

http://www.facebook.com/tesco?sk=wall&filter=12

The best part of a million quids worth of tax-payer subsidised labour over the last four months... The bad press this is getting, I can''t imagine Tesco sticking with this for too long...

Edited by Dave Beans

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443

Or Asda

Or Boots

etc. etc.

Need to use Twitter and Facebook to get the message out as all these big chains monitor those particualr social media channels...

I can understand placements with companies where there is a real possibility of getting a "proper" job at the end of it (such as with a small Engineering firm), but it definitely shouldn't be used to benefit the largest private companies...

Edited by Dave Beans

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Of course, if they weren't using slave labour, there would be REAL jobs available to do the work. You can even envisiage people being fired and then 'hired' back as slaves.

If I worked at Tesco under such circumstances there would be a lot of 'accidental' breakages, stuff mispriced (I'd price beef steaks at 20 pence) and if I was made to work on the deli counter I'd hand customers food and say "enjoy. I just gobbed on it".

Any Health & Safety or Fire Safety breach or any other malpractice would be reported to the appropriate authorities at lightning speed.

Edit to add: I'm disgusted that so many charity shops are involved. I was considering doing some voluntary work in a charity shop but I certainly won't now.

Edit 2: - Wow, even Oxfam are involved. Blows their anti-slavery 'Fair Trade' stance out of the water. Why does someone need work experience to work in an Oxfam shop? A 5-minute interview would be enough to tell if the person is up to scratch. And if they take the view that they are just providing 'work experience' for someone who may find the experience useful elsewhere, it means they have no intention of taking these people on themselves.

Edited by happy_renting

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Worryingly, public sector jobs at Medway Council are also being filled with workfare placements

If they are to be made to work the council should be the first on the list surely

In 2009 this council had plans to cut 2 thirds of it's employees (I lived in the area at that time), looks like they have found a way to fill the vacuum made by the layoffs.

Most of the planned layoffs were in areas like litter clearance and street cleaning, and of course the libraries, the first 2 are a gift, get their former employees back on benefits, so much cheaper, and the desperation will keep them in line

Edited by madpenguin

HOLA4411

What a massive c0ck-up we've made of things, eh.

I believe in conspracy rather than c0ck up.

You can bet that the people who actually get trafficked on to these schemes are the genuine jobseekers who will return good profits for Tesco rather than the feckless workshy chavs who would cost Tescos money to keep them 'entertained' during the night shift.

On a wider note, I think that a national strike should be organised for all workers to demand that they are paid gross to a 'personal services company' as this now appears to be completely legal and aspirational.

HOLA4412
If I worked at Tesco under such circumstances there would be a lot of 'accidental' breakages, stuff mispriced (I'd price beef steaks at 20 pence) and if I was made to work on the deli counter I'd hand customers food and say "enjoy. I just gobbed on it".

Rotten fish placed in hard to find locations on a regular basis would help clear out those food buyers and have a real impact on profits.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

It now explains why there's such a turnover of people at these places.

You get used to an assistant and all of a sudden they've gone and lo and behold there's a new one - and the vast majority of these people are very good at the job but even so they clearly don't get a job offer as a result of their placement.

It's a less than satisfactory experience for the customer as well because you just get used to one person and then they've gone.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

http://jobcentreplus...FT-id-BSD-27442

Fancy a night shift at Tesco.

Used to pay £10 an hour.

Now pays JSA+expenses.

Tesco have had £10m worth of free labour (7000 workfare placements) and have taken on 4% of the people they've had in.

Still Tesco got a bit richer so all is well.

I cannot believe that. Mind Boggling. How do they get away with it? Why doesnt anyone do anything about it?

Tesco, Government supported Slave Labour.

Why hasnt some organisation dragged Tesco into court and made them pay their workers a wage?

Surely it is a breach of Human Rights? Get them in front of the European Court, and charge them billions in punitive damages.

Edited by Milton

HOLA4422

Untitled-1_2140616c.jpg

Has benefits but not the kind you thought off

http://www.guardian....esco-job-advert

So now we know. Back in August last year, I wrote a comment piece for the Guardian, focusing on the increasing noise about people being forced to work in return for their jobseeker's allowance – an idea whose roots extend well into Labour's time in government. It focused on two things: so-called mandatory work activity (MWA), whereby people are forced – via the threat of their jobseeker's allowance being suspended – to put in 30 hours a week doing work "of benefit to the community"; and other "work experience" schemes, in which people do up to eight weeks of unpaid labour, with one proviso: they can refuse to take part or pull out during the first seven days, but thereafter the work becomes compulsory, under pain of their benefit being withdrawn.

Edited by Milton

HOLA4423

I cannot believe that. Mind Boggling. How do they get away with it? Why doesnt anyone do anything about it?

Tesco, Government supported Slave Labour.

Why hasnt some organisation dragged Tesco into court and made them pay their workers a wage?

Surely it is a breach of Human Rights? Get them in front of the European Court, and charge them billions in punitive damages.

Why? Who would do that? Who is there to protect the people of this country of this country from the government? Actually the Facebook page for Tesco is rammed just now, they are blocking users left and right and still the protest posts keep coming. Apparently there is a protest outside the Tesco in Westminster tomorrow (I didn't know there was a Tesco there), of course the police will be there to protect Tesco.

I kind of agree in principal that people should do something worthwhile with their time when on benefits, but to make them work for preferred private corporations is scandalous. The government and any employer using the workfare scheme has wildely misread public opinion on this....

HOLA4424

Why? Who would do that? Who is there to protect the people of this country of this country from the government? Actually the Facebook page for Tesco is rammed just now, they are blocking users left and right and still the protest posts keep coming. Apparently there is a protest outside the Tesco in Westminster tomorrow (I didn't know there was a Tesco there), of course the police will be there to protect Tesco.

I kind of agree in principal that people should do something worthwhile with their time when on benefits, but to make them work for preferred private corporations is scandalous. The government and any employer using the workfare scheme has wildely misread public opinion on this....

Its right opposite Big Ben. Not a big store, probably a Tesco metro.

Edited by "Steed"

HOLA4425