House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441

warping makes a sensible post about being mature about it and you two jump at the chance to explain how bitcoiners are idiots. Nice one

I was a gold bug. Hasn’t served me as well as I’d hoped but that’s life, I still hold. I’m also a bitcoin fanatic (not crypto) on the fundamentals and that’s served me well so far. But I’m not going to try to convince anyone because it’s all been said before and you either agree or disagree and that’s fine

HOLA442
11 hours ago, nero120 said:

It's not about picking sides, it's about calling out the ABSOLUTE BOLLO* that crypto snake oil scumbags scream continuously in order to scam people into buying them.

As I've already said, no one can declare what money is, least of all crypto shills. Gold is money because it has 4000 years of being money-good, not because someone had to say "gold is money", people just used it and it worked. This is an indisputable fact and something that crypto shills lose their minds about because they cannot counter it no matter how many pictures of gold "bitcoins" they thrust in our faces.

No one actually wants to use bitcoin as money, why can't crypto shills just admit this? Why can't they just say "it's a speculative asset in a huge bubble fueled by zero interest rates and trades like a risk asset and does not correlate to gold at all"? I'd have more respect for crypto shills if they were just honest, rather than desperately crying out "BITCOIN IS DIGITAL GOLD!!!" despite all the evidence against that claim.

In fact I know why they make this claim, because they use it to justify another claim that bitcoins market cap could reach golds market cap (paper gold at least - no one accounts for all the physical gold held in private hands).

Again, I would have no problem with bitcoin if people didn't try so hard to sell it as a better alternative to gold using pathetic vacuous arguments. If it were a better form of gold it wouldn't need people to make that claim, goldbugs and central banks would happily dump gold for it! But they're not, and they never will. 

If you know it's not true, then don't get riled about it. The only advantage BTC has over physical gold is it's transportable over borders. The primary benefit physical gold has over BTC is gold has intrinsic value. Place your bets...

HOLA443
23 hours ago, nero120 said:

Indeed. All they have to do is shut down the exchanges because let's face it, the only reason anyone buys bitcoin is to convert it back to fiat since they can't actually spend it anywhere!! And the few places they can spend it use bitpay or some other service that converts it to fiat during the transaction.

Cryptos are nothing more than a symptom of the perverse period of zero interest rates and the financial speculation that ensued. So sick of hearing the ignorant comparing it to gold, desperate to give it some legitimacy; sick of seeing all the stupid articles with pictures of physical gold "bitcoins"; sick of people thinking they can simply "declare" it to be "money" doing the exact same thing that the governments they claim to be providing a valid alternative to.

Why can't they just be happy with the fact that it is an empty, vapid, speculative "asset" they they can still make money on rather than making claims it is something it is not? At this point, all of the sheep that are going to be suckered into crypto are already in, so would be nice if they'd give it a rest. Or at the very least, not bring that sh*t to our doorstep here, there is already a thread for shilling cryptos.

Two days ago I took another £100,000 off the crypto table.

Cope.

HOLA444
On 12/20/2023 at 7:26 AM, stud said:

Even MORE 'JIBBERISH '.

BITB*LLOX is more in prison than any other currency ever devised by the scheming CABAL ...it's in a maximum security prison with ELECTRICITY AND THE INTERNET .,it can never be FREE without the cabal controlled /operated /devised systems .WAKE UP .!!

Your so desperate to GET RICH quick that your MIND is so open your BRAIN has fallen out.

Yes the markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent as the bankrupt gambler Mr Keynes found out.

Anyone who UNDERSTANDS MONEY should know that GOLD IS MONEY & EVERYTHING ELSE IS CREDIT ,Mr Morgan knew and warned you.

Gold is doing is accounting for inflation very nicely and I wouldn't TOUCH anything else at this juncture ....TICK TOCK .!!

So sad and such an ill-education to read. You dn't need the internet to transact Bitcoin. This must come as such a shock to you I feel sad for your fckin ignorance. 

Keep on coping I guess. 😆

HOLA445
6 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Two days ago I took another £100,000 off the crypto table.

Cope.

Fair play monsieur. Proof that some crypto bros have a brain. All the ones I know who bought in at the height of the covid bubble are still underwater. Fyi, I just sold some au off with 70% gain on my original purchase. Not the dizzying heights of bitcoin gains of course but I prefer to play it safe old bean. Profit is profit. Bon chance luv.

HOLA446
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA447
On 22/12/2023 at 09:09, Blobsy said:

Fair play monsieur. Proof that some crypto bros have a brain. All the ones I know who bought in at the height of the covid bubble are still underwater. Fyi, I just sold some au off with 70% gain on my original purchase. Not the dizzying heights of bitcoin gains of course but I prefer to play it safe old bean. Profit is profit. Bon chance luv.

Thinking of doing the same, but it will all go into crypto. 
I need to get a hurry on ASAP

HOLA448
HOLA449
On 12/22/2023 at 9:09 AM, Blobsy said:

Thank you and well done. Profit is profit when you dollar cost average out a I’m slowly doing in my case after a decade of holding. But it’s still pre ETF and halvening  to buy bitcoin or Ethereum. It still early. Good luck anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4410

Back to precious metals:

I wonder if the new eBay reporting sales over £1700 will have any effect on second hand coin and bar eBay sales?

I guess quite a few folk don't want the tax man knowing about their sales and had kept those details secret.

Easy enough to explain away as inherited/ sale of a collection, but it does make you think

HOLA4411
4 hours ago, Wurzel Of Highbridge said:

Back to precious metals:

I wonder if the new eBay reporting sales over £1700 will have any effect on second hand coin and bar eBay sales?

I guess quite a few folk don't want the tax man knowing about their sales and had kept those details secret.

Easy enough to explain away as inherited/ sale of a collection, but it does make you think

Hmm I wouldn’t sell any au on ebay personally. 
‘The buyer informed us they received the package but it was empty’ 🤷🏻

HOLA4412
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4413
On 11/02/2013 at 11:39, Errol said:

At least Putin's 'Gold strategy in the current economy' is reasonably clear!

Putin Turns Black Gold to Bullion as Russia Outbuys World

When Vladimir Putin says the U.S. is endangering the global economy by abusing its dollar monopoly, he’s not just talking. He’s betting on it.

Not only has Putin made Russia the world’s largest oil producer, he’s also made it the biggest gold buyer. His central bank has added 570 metric tons of the metal in the past decade, a quarter more than runner-up China, according to IMF data compiled by Bloomberg. The added gold is also almost triple the weight of the Statue of Liberty.

During a tour that November of the Magadan region in the Far East, where Polyus Gold International Ltd. and Polymetal International Plc have operations, Putin told Bank Rossii not to “shy away” from the metal. “After all, they’re called gold and currency reserves for a reason,” Putin said, according to a Kremlin transcript.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-10/putin-turns-black-gold-into-bullion-as-russia-out-buys-world.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/image/iE7fKtHzY8sU.jpg

Did anyone else buy Polyus and Polymetal?  I wish I'd shied away!

HOLA4414
Guest Stud
On 22/12/2023 at 02:16, warpig said:

If you know it's not true, then don't get riled about it. The only advantage BTC has over physical gold is it's transportable over borders. The primary benefit physical gold has over BTC is gold has intrinsic value. Place your bets...

What a load of utter nonsense .Why is Gold not transportable over a physical border .🙄🤷

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
7 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

This is incredible…

Yes, incredible that anyone still believes bitcoin is anything other than a purely speculative asset, as demonstrated here. Yet the price of a bitcoin still languishes well under all time highs?

Meanwhile, gold ETFs are selling off yet the price of gold sits above or near all time highs in all currencies! Basically, anyone who wants a true store of value is shunning the corrupt western financial system and returning to a more reliable asset:

GOLD.

HOLA4417
8 hours ago, nero120 said:

Yes, incredible that anyone still believes bitcoin is anything other than a purely speculative asset, as demonstrated here. Yet the price of a bitcoin still languishes well under all time highs?

Meanwhile, gold ETFs are selling off yet the price of gold sits above or near all time highs in all currencies! Basically, anyone who wants a true store of value is shunning the corrupt western financial system and returning to a more reliable asset:

GOLD.

Ignoring the fact that the all time high for gold is barely above where it was in 2011.

And adjusted for inflation is below where it was in the 80s.

HOLA4418
16 minutes ago, dannyf said:

Ignoring the fact that the all time high for gold is barely above where it was in 2011.

You another troll? If you don't like gold, keep out of the thread.

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, smuf-ww said:

You another troll? If you don't like gold, keep out of the thread.

I do like gold and I own gold and miner stocks.

But I own it mainly as a hedge for any future financial crisis (though I’ve done very well from HMY, EGO, KGC and SBSW) and I don’t think boasting about gold being above its all time high was a particularly good argument. Is that trolling?

Show me some all time high comparisons of various assets then explain why that’s a good argument for gold

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest Stud
On 03/02/2024 at 17:03, dannyf said:

What Data sets and/or historical charts are you perusing to make that TOTALLY incorrect statement .

I would say a 50% increase in GBP is VERY significant .🙄🤷

IMG-20240205-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20240205-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20240205-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20240205-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20240205-WA0004.jpg

Edited by stud

HOLA4424
HOLA4425