HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I think the death of the bookstore is very sad. I HATE the Kindle!!

Mrs Pyracantha works there. They've been on efficiency drives for months now. Hard to see how the new owner can wring more value out of the business without closing many of the stores or by changing how they do business. I sincerely hope they manage to do something with the business as I'd hate to see Tescos being the only place selling books in the future.

Waterstones staff are expected/encouraged to join book clubs, write book reviews and be aware of trends/new authors/release dates etc and all for not much more than minimum wage. Many are part-time lecturers, published authors, English graduates or have a years of experience in the publishing industry. All very sad.

I guess this is how the monks felt when Caxton got busy.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Mrs Pyracantha works there. They've been on efficiency drives for months now. Hard to see how the new owner can wring more value out of the business without closing many of the stores or by changing how they do business. I sincerely hope they manage to do something with the business as I'd hate to see Tescos being the only place selling books in the future.

Waterstones staff are expected/encouraged to join book clubs, write book reviews and be aware of trends/new authors/release dates etc and all for not much more than minimum wage. Many are part-time lecturers, published authors, English graduates or have a years of experience in the publishing industry. All very sad.

I guess this is how the monks felt when Caxton got busy.

Did you see the segment last night on Channel 4 news about the rise and rise of the British supermarket chains? Pretty soon all high streets will just be a collection of Tescos, Sainsbury's and Waitrose.

How depressing.

HOLA4416

Did you see the segment last night on Channel 4 news about the rise and rise of the British supermarket chains? Pretty soon all high streets will just be a collection of Tescos, Sainsbury's and Waitrose.

How depressing.

"But they give people what they want." Presumably what most people want is a dull, depressing, identical country where at least everything is convenient and you can get everything cheap, providing you're happy with never having quality. As you say, how depressing.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Peston has 'HMV thrown lifeline by banks' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13467846

Its banks, led by Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds, have decided in principle to back the plan of Simon Fox, HMV's chief executive, to revive HMV stores by switching more of their stock into electronic goods, especially tablets (see my note, "Can HMV reinvents itself", for more on this).

The sales declines in the trading update are massive.

Oh the £53m seems a bit cheap if as Peston says there are no liabilities.?

HOLA4421

Peston has 'HMV thrown lifeline by banks' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13467846

The sales declines in the trading update are massive.

Oh the £53m seems a bit cheap if as Peston says there are no liabilities.?

Do HMV seriously think selling tablets will save them? Maybe they should ask PC World/Currys how it's working out for them first. :rolleyes:

Push the internet shop more (it's actually not bad now and the prices are competitive with Amazon, Play etc.) and concentrate on music more. (Didn't HMV use to sell gig tickets in-store?)

Leave low-margin electronics to some other mug.

HOLA4422

Do HMV seriously think selling tablets will save them? Maybe they should ask PC World/Currys how it's working out for them first. :rolleyes:

Push the internet shop more (it's actually not bad now and the prices are competitive with Amazon, Play etc.) and concentrate on music more. (Didn't HMV use to sell gig tickets in-store?)

Leave low-margin electronics to some other mug.

Well they are low margin as the electronics is the only thing not being discounted with their 20% off voucher (this weekend).

As the last chain doing this sort of deal was Woolworth's I think HMV are on their very last legs.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

The retailer has been struggling to cope with declining sales in the face of increasingly fierce competition from supermarkets and online retailers such as Amazon and iTunes.

It wouldn't be a total surprise if quite soon the malls and the high street start to look like ghost towns - renamed as The Ghost Mall, The Tumbleweed Centre, The Dusty Mall and so on.

From converstion I've noticed that internet purchasing has started to become quite widespread and who can blame people the price differentials are so massive these days. Another consequence of land and property prices etc as well as the taxes to support council ventures such as council estate agencies. The oil price has a significant impact as well as general inflation.

Like so many things in the UK the whole thing is so unbalanced and out of kilter mainly to suit various VIs.

The Tumbeleweed Centre won't happen yet or at least not "tomorrow" of course

Edited by billybong

HOLA4425