House Price Crash Forum

Wine Inflation

fluffy666

HOLA441

OK, so we are preparing to visit some friends and relatives over Easter, and in preparation I have to get some booze in..

I apply the standard rules any normal connoisseur would for selecting the wine - namely two lots of 3-for-a-tenner, to get the 6-bottle discount.. except (and this is the shock horror bit) there is no 3-for-a-tenner in Sainsburys. Everything seems to be £4.50 or more for a bottle now. The horror.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

OK, so we are preparing to visit some friends and relatives over Easter, and in preparation I have to get some booze in..

I apply the standard rules any normal connoisseur would for selecting the wine - namely two lots of 3-for-a-tenner, to get the 6-bottle discount.. except (and this is the shock horror bit) there is no 3-for-a-tenner in Sainsburys. Everything seems to be £4.50 or more for a bottle now. The horror.

Buy a crate of lager instead :)

HOLA443
HOLA444

Sainsburys own red plonk is reasonable, and less than £4 a bottle. even co=op are doing their version at a respectable £3.79 - quite palatable too.

HOLA445

Happened quite some time ago in Asda, its the exchange rate.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

6 bottles for £20. That's just over £3 a bottle.

Do you hate your "friends" that much? :D

Sainsburys always seem to have a few half price £10 bottles, so four nice ones for £20 is easy. 6 would be er stretching it a bit I admit.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

sounds promising....

maybe it's the conical flasks that puts them off?!

Actually it was the raspberry beer that you had to pour through a sieve before drinking. Quite palatable, as long as you didn't look at what you were drinking. Homebrew wine does give me bad flashbacks though.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Sainsburys always seem to have a few half price £10 bottles, so four nice ones for £20 is easy. 6 would be er stretching it a bit I admit.

A lot of these "£10" bottles are sold at full price about as much as DFS sell full price sofas.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

We are spoiled in this country. I lived in New Zealand 15 years ago and a decent bottle of the local plonk was minimum NDZ$30 (about a tenner at the time, when £3 a bottle was normal in the UK).

Since then wine has hardly gone up here. Until lately.

It's good in a way that the £3 barrier has been breached because most of the stuff sold (lately at least) at that price has been total sh**t.

I don't mind paying £7-10 for a half-decent bottle but it does make experimentation expensive.

HOLA4420

6 bottles for £20. That's just over £3 a bottle.

Do you hate your "friends" that much? :D

The tax on a bottle of wine like that is about £2.30, so you're really paying about £1.00 for the wine itself. A bottle of imported French mineral water normally retails for a pound, so that's probably a good estimate of the costs of packaging and shipping. It's hard to imagine how any wine grower can produce anything that's at all drinkable for

exactly £0.00 per bottle.

Maybe they'd like a box of chocolates instead?

HOLA4421

It's rip-off Britain . . . plus the Chancellor.

There is no reason why wine should be this price.

You can get a litre box of perfectly OK plonk in Germany for E1,50.

You can buy foreign wine in Russia for under 200 roubles a bottle . . . despite the tariffs, vast distances and distribution costs.

And what's wrong with a box. Now even expensive wines in UK come with a screw-top.

It's scandalous. The ferry to Calais can save you a fortune.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

The tax on a bottle of wine like that is about £2.30, so you're really paying about £1.00 for the wine itself. A bottle of imported French mineral water normally retails for a pound, so that's probably a good estimate of the costs of packaging and shipping. It's hard to imagine how any wine grower can produce anything that's at all drinkable for

exactly £0.00 per bottle.

Maybe they'd like a box of chocolates instead?

Auchan do 12 bottles for 23 €......the boxes can be good value also. ;)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Join Laithwaites, they'll send you a mixed crate of excellent wine at a good price if you tell them what type you want. They usually have an introductory offer for new members so most or all of the first crate will be free.

Laithwaites is a rip-off -- their wine is cr_p. They go to the southwest of France, or Spain, or Chile, buy wine for 50p a bottle and then sell it back in the UK for £6.00 a bottle.

I ordered a case from them and there wasn't anything in there that I couldn't get the same quality for half the price from any of the supermarkets. They have a shop near to my house and I stopped by there afterwards to see their full range to see if they had better bargains. They didn't. They did have an industrial size call centre in the back with about 200 tele-sales staff cold calling to sell over-priced wine to people who know nothing about wine. That's where they make their money -- it has nothing to do with finding and selling good value wine.

Archived