House Price Crash Forum

Andrew Marr On £27K Per Month (Net)

newbonic

HOLA441

Just thought I'd add another Andrew Marr thread!

In today's Sunday Times: Marr's payslip was left in the wrong pidgeon hole apparantly, and a colleague opened it by mistake. His take home is £27k per month, equivalent to around £600k per annum. He also has 'considerable' extra income from books and tie ins with his TV documentaries like 'The Making of Modern Britain'.

It also said that Paxman took a 20% pay-cut to £800k pa for Newsnight and University Challenge, and John Humphreys gets £575k pa for Today on R4 and Mastermind.

Most are on freelance deals rather than being PAYE employees of the BBC, i.e. 'the taxpayer'.

(Edit for typo)

Edited by newbonic

HOLA442
HOLA443

In today's Sunday Times: Marr's payslip was left in the wrong pidgeon hole apparantly, and a colleague opened it by mistake. His take home is £27k per month, equivalent to around £600k per annum. He also has 'considerable' extra income from books and tie ins with his TV documentaries like 'The Making of Modern Britain'.

It also said that Paxman took a 20% pay-cut to £800k pa for Newsnight and University Challenge, and John Humphreys gets £575k pa for Today on R4 and Mastermind.

Most are on freelance deals rather than being PAYE employees of the BBC, i.e. 'the taxpayer'.

(Edit for typo)

Don't forget Mrs Marr (a.k.a. Jackie Ashley) who also pops up on Radio 4 from time to time.

Just stop watching live TV and use the iPlayer. You don't need to pay the licence for this, it is perfectly legitimate. There's no reason why us lot should be paying those sums to individuals involved in public broadcasting. Personally speaking, it induces karma knowing that one source of public-sector largesse has had its hand removed from your pocket.

Edited by cheeznbreed

HOLA444

(Edit for typo)

Good post.

'Freelance' deals though are often viewed as employees by HMRC, hence the recent case of BBC ageism where the court viewed her as an employee given the long term employment nature. He is most likely PAYE if the £600K per annum becomes £27K per month takehome automatically and its a payslip.

HOLA445
HOLA446

In today's Sunday Times: Marr's payslip was left in the wrong pidgeon hole apparantly, and a colleague opened it by mistake. His take home is £27k per month, equivalent to around £600k per annum.

Excuse my Maths, but isn't 12 x 27K equal to 324K...?

Self-correcting edit: of course 600K would be the gross figure...

Edited by neon tetra

HOLA447

Don't forget Mrs Marr (a.k.a. Jackie Ashley) who also pops up on Radio 4 from time to time.

Just stop watching live TV and use the iPlayer. You don't need to pay the licence for this, it is perfectly legitimate. There's no reason why us lot should be paying those sums to individuals involved in public broadcasting. Personally speaking, it induces karma knowing that one source of public-sector largesse has had its hand removed from your pocket.

Nicely put B)

I fielded an enquiry on a football forum the other day about off-grid living, people are beginning to see how they are being robbed day-in-day out and every step you can take away from that is worth doing, however small that step may be.

HOLA448

Good post.

'Freelance' deals though are often viewed as employees by HMRC, hence the recent case of BBC ageism where the court viewed her as an employee given the long term employment nature. He is most likely PAYE if the £600K per annum becomes £27K per month takehome automatically and its a payslip.

I'm not really one to knock high earners and people who minimise their taxes, but to claim he isn't an 'employee' of the BBC is taking the proverbial.

I certainly hope thats PAYE.

Edited by Kyoto

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I'm not really one to knock high earners and people who minimise their taxes, but to claim he isn't an 'employee' of the BBC is taking the proverbial.

I certainly hope thats PAYE.

I think you can be within IR35 and thus pay income tax and NI, but still be self employed and a director of your own Ltd co. I think there are tax advantages to this re pension contributions - maybe that's why his net is so 'low' despite their 600k estimate. He could also claim other expenses that pure PAYE employees can't. Although if I were on over £50k per month I don't think I'd be piddling around bothering to claim 40p per mile for the drive to work!

HOLA4413

Marr's payslip was left in the wrong pidgeon hole apparantly,

:lol:

and a colleague opened it by mistake.

:lol::lol:

His take home is £27k per month, equivalent to around £600k per annum. (...) Paxman took a 20% pay-cut to £800k pa for Newsnight and University Challenge, and John Humphreys gets £575k pa for Today on R4 and Mastermind. (...)

Thanks Newbonic. That may help explain why the BBC didn't warn the population about the credit bubble, or the bubble economy actually. They were enjoying it too much. We mentioned BBC incompetence many times in another thread ( http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=159795 ), but I think it was more complicity than incompetence.

The fecking b@strds.

HOLA4414

I just don't get this... It's ok for such obscene pay if it is a private company who generate their own revenue and answer only to their shareholders, but this is tax-funded. Is he really of more value to the nation than 4 prime ministers?!

There are probably dozens of people out there who would do his job for 50k and who would be almost as good. If he can get paid more in commercial TV, for god's sake just let him go! We could save ourselves the license fees for 2500 households.

Don't even get me started on film funding either. It's so corrupt. The king's speech was lauded as a film, but financially it was largely a way of diverting tax money into colin firth's pay packet.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Aint being a lefty do gooder a profitable occupation.

No wonder they don't want cuts.

Paxman a sh*te interviewr he is so biased i find him utterly repulsive.

I watched him interview some kid from Luton who has started a political party. The guy was trying to tell him the parties aims and Paxman kept insinuating he was racist inspite of the fact that the party had a number of black members.

He sneered down his nose at this guy but when he was asked if he had ever lived in Luton or experienced the sorts of situations Paxman just cut him off.

Paxman £800,000 p.a. has is a*se kicked by some kid off the streets.

It was nauseating - I can't tell you if I agree of disagree with the guys politics because Paxman decided to not ask him about his politics. Apauling interview from an apauling interviewer that left me none the wiser.

HOLA4417

Sack the lot of them.

There's no need to pay anyone on TV more than £50k a year.

There will still be queues around the block.

Quality? Well let sky/itv pay the big wages and see who gets the best presenters.

I don't think big pay = good

I'm sure some other people could do it just as well.

We should stop making celebs of people who read words out on the magic box.

HOLA4418

Sack the lot of them.

There's no need to pay anyone on TV more than £50k a year.

There will still be queues around the block.

Quality? Well let sky/itv pay the big wages and see who gets the best presenters.

I don't think big pay = good

I'm sure some other people could do it just as well.

We should stop making celebs of people who read words out on the magic box.

Same for soccer commentators

Your average fan could do as well

HOLA4419

Nicely put B)

I fielded an enquiry on a football forum the other day about off-grid living, people are beginning to see how they are being robbed day-in-day out and every step you can take away from that is worth doing, however small that step may be.

Why thank you. BBC is one of the worst, massive pensions etc. Just glad not to be funding it.

HOLA4420

Yeap, all the BBC loveies are screwing over the public purse just as badly, if not more, than some of the bankers!

I suspect though the hypocrisy of the parallel situation would be lost on a lot of them. <_<

Although I get the feeling Paxo would take the criticism on the chin as I've picked up remarks before on Newsnight that he knows the score.

Marr even by BBC standards openly sponsors and gives an easy ride to Liebour in all he does. Part of the deal was he got to make himself rich in the process.

The attitude and behaviour of the BBC elite is as disgusting in greed terms if not actual numbers as the bankers, but much worse in terms of the disgusting hypocrisy that sits with it.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

My own view is....I am bored seeing the same old faces on the BBC I would like to see more talented newsreaders...new faces. I am fed up seeing the same old knees and ties.

The BBC should give the better talent out there some better airing.....out with the old in with the new. ;)

HOLA4423

Its shocking that he "earns" that much.

On occasion that I have caught his show on Sunday mornings (cannot imagine that to be a high rating programme) he is so brown nosey it makes you feel nauseous and yet in the opening sequence with his little green car he is so disdainful of the various small people featured - the security guard, newsroom lackeys etc.

Also I know its only a title sequence but it would be far more realistic if it showed the bbc funded driver picking him up from his door.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425