House Price Crash Forum

Gambling: The National Lottery

Jason

HOLA441

I had a go on the National Lottery this evening and lost - no surprise there!

Do you gamble? Why? If you look at the probabilities, its not worth while - you'd be better off keeping your pound coin.

What do you think about gambling? Your thoughts...

HOLA442

Do you gamble? Why? If you look at the probabilities, its not worth while - you'd be better off keeping your pound coin.

You have a much better chance of becoming a millionaire by starting your own business. But that takes time and hard work and who in their right minds wants to do that. <_<

It is not called the "idiot tax" for nothing.

HOLA443

I I once put a £1 bet on the grand national, my horse fell over at the first fence, and I have a feeling it might of died. So bugger that i am too unlucky (and too tight)

The lottery can be worth a quid. My brain does not cope well with big numbers (low probabilities), so it is fooled into thinking there is a better chance than really exists. So I get all excited and start thinking how I could spend my winnings. The 5 minute dream occasionally is worth £1.

HOLA444

Funnily enough I played cards on friday night with some mates in the pub, I lasted 3 games lost 3 quid and felt like it had been stolen off me. Gambling gives me no pleasure what so ever.

When I gamble I fully expect to will and hate it when I dont, so I just dont do it.

Aparently your supposed to expect to lose..... er whats the point of losing money.... go and buy something instead.

HOLA445

I work for camelot. Could be one of those recession proof jobs?

Anyway. The odds of winning lotto are 14mil to 1. Long? Sure. However, day in day out people arrive to collect their millions. People do win, good causes win, the treasury wins.

You may get better odds elsewhere but where else for just £1 can you have a chance of winning big and small and know that you are being given a fair chance.

I have played online roulette etc. Try telling me that those programs aren't fixed!!

I am not allowed to play the NL but if i was i would.

HOLA446

The National Lottery is an aneasthetic to the financial realities that face most people in this country. For a pound a week they buy themselves a false dream that allows a part of them to believe that next week they will walking into their boss' office and telling him to stick his job up his ****, and then jumping on a first class flight to the Caribean. I stopped doing the lottery because I realised that if I ruled out the chance of winning it from my life, I was more likely to be successful as the only way I was going to make it was to work my tits off...I could no longer say to myself "There's always the lottery". Besides, I don't think winning it would do many people that much good. They'd squander it on rubbish or invest in BTLs! Only people who are very wise would actually benefit from such a huge change in their personal finances.

HOLA447

I don't miss the £2 a week I put on it, however I would notice a million if I do win.

Ok chances are I won't win, but that £2 a week isn't going to make me a million either (not even in property), especially as it would just end up in the landlards cash till.

HOLA448
HOLA449
The National Lottery is an aneasthetic to the financial realities that face most people in this country. For a pound a week they buy themselves a false dream that allows a part of them to believe that next week they will walking into their boss' office and telling him to stick his job up his ****, and then jumping on a first class flight to the Caribean. I stopped doing the lottery because I realised that if I ruled out the chance of winning it from my life, I was more likely to be successful as the only way I was going to make it was to work my tits off...I could no longer say to myself "There's always the lottery". Besides, I don't think winning it would do many people that much good. They'd squander it on rubbish or invest in BTLs! Only people who are very wise would actually benefit from such a huge change in their personal finances.

Absolutely right! People who can't handle money and spend it on crap wouldn't be better off after winning a million because it would fritter away slowly on 'essential purchases'. I did play the scratchcards for a time once, always made back what I had spent on them, then one day I won £20 so I stopped playing it and kept my winnings.

IMHO you've got to use your head and work to get rich. Winning it, stealing it, or inheriting it just aint gonna happen.

I know someones gonna win it, but at a 14 million to 1 chance, it sure as hell aint gonna be you.

(Excuse the bad grammer... like!)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
The National Lottery is an aneasthetic to the financial realities that face most people in this country. For a pound a week they buy themselves a false dream that allows a part of them to believe that next week they will walking into their boss' office and telling him to stick his job up his ****, and then jumping on a first class flight to the Caribean.

come on thats got to be worth a quid of anybodies money :D besides its not the winning that matters, its the taking part :rolleyes:

Edited by Catch22

HOLA4412

yes I'm a gambler.

I invest in shares/commodities

property speculation is also gambling.(most of the sheeple don't realise)

the trick is to minimise your risks and have a cover if things go tits-up.....unfortunately there is always the risk of the unforseen,but that's life.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest The dude

To a whole generation, the only way of having a hope of buying a house now is through winning the National Lottery. Either that or they'll just have to rob a bank or deal in drugs. Buying a house through legit means?....Forget it...Another way of rapidly moving up the housing ladder is to, if you're a married woman, then quite simply get a divorce.....this seems to have worked out extremely well for a lot of my female friends.....and good luck to them.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest The dude
The parents of my best mate's fiance won £4 million on the lottery a few months back ( I know it sounds urban-mythy, but its true). The probabilities are miniscule, but just enough fun to keep me playing - only £1 after all.

I won a tenner last night..that's enough to keep me going!!