James Dyson's Crass Hypocricy

HOLA441
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

http://www.telegraph...ing-vacuum.html

The guy that outsourced production of his overpriced vacuum cleaners now has all the answers to the woes of the UK's engineers.

Sir James said change had to start from school. "There is a serious shortage of science teachers," he said.

Mwuahahahahaaha ha ha ! How many times have we had that argument? Not least on here?

James, science can be a tough discipline. There is little money and few jobs in it - one or two exceptions, perhaps.

NPML. :lol::lol:

HOLA443
HOLA444

Sir James said change had to start from school. "There is a serious shortage of science teachers," he said.

Mwuahahahahaaha ha ha ! How many times have we had that argument? Not least on here?

James, science can be a tough discipline. There is little money and few jobs in it - one or two exceptions, perhaps.

NPML. :lol::lol:

They are also harder than media studies so do not look so good on those all important school league tables.

HOLA445

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/7400742/Sir-James-Dyson-plan-to-fill-UKs-engineering-vacuum.html

The guy that outsourced production of his overpriced vacuum cleaners now has all the answers to the woes of the UK's engineers.

I think labelling him a crass hypocrite is a bit rich... he runs a business, why should he keep all those staff in the UK when the work could be done more cheaply abroad... he has I believe kept the higher end research jobs in the UK and his company is I think domiciled in the UK.

Looking through his proposals I thought they made a good deal of sense. I particularly thought he had a point regarding the allocation of R and D budget abd govt support for new businesses.

I do think his business presents a decent way forward whereby the high end work is kept in the UK while the basic work is outsourced to wherever its best suited.... he'd pretty soon not be employing any engineers in the UK afterall if he couldn't drive his cost of production down.

HOLA446

Perhaps Dyson can recommend a firm that the graduate engineers can get a job with, say, manufacturing vaccum cleaners for example - oh dear Dyson doesn't make them here anymore ... and yet he is going to save UK manufacturing?

Just a free advert for Dyson. The DT should be ashamed of themselves.

At my last rented house my landlord left behind a Dyson. Went back to using my Hoover. The main gubbings would fall away from the handle with the slightest knock. Then there is no bag and you have to dispose of all the waste (a bag seems far cleaner to me) plus it looks crap as you can see all the dust in the drum as its transparent (tells you when its full I suppose).

Really couldn't see the point. A really hyped product.

HOLA447

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/7400742/Sir-James-Dyson-plan-to-fill-UKs-engineering-vacuum.html

Didn't he outsource production after he was refused planning permission to extend his factory in the UK?

No idea whether this was a factor, or just an excuse. :unsure:

HOLA448

Didn't he outsource production after he was refused planning permission to extend his factory in the UK?

No, he refused to manufacture in the UK unless we joined the Euro, the promptly moved production to Asia!

HOLA449
HOLA4410

how much money will he pay these engineers when they are ready. as an engineer, you cant earn much even with a lot of experience unless you move into management roles. you have all these managers who will expect you to come up with solutions as though it is the most trivial thing to do like placing a sales order.

anyway, we recently replaced our dyson with a miele and what a difference. i mistakenly bought a dyson a few years ago and my OH complained every time he had to empty the cylinder with all the dust flying around. it is the biggest load of hype. the miele i bought was cheaper (on sale) and is more effective in vacuuming and more silent. i bought the dyson thinking it would be nice to save on buying bags, but that is a fallacy.

HOLA4411

only British buy vacuum cleaners for £200 .... anybody else for £50 ....... :lol:

Gotta hand it to Dyson Inc. though.

His expensive goods do sell. And have brand loyalty.

You can get a vacuum cleaner at Asda for £15 or £20 - and we've got the Dyson XL Turbo DOHC here. what £250 or so ?

HOLA4412

That certainly rings a bell.

If you want a decent hoover buy a, still british made, Henry hoover.

HOLA4413

how much money will he pay these engineers when they are ready. as an engineer, you cant earn much even with a lot of experience unless you move into management roles. you have all these managers who will expect you to come up with solutions as though it is the most trivial thing to do like placing a sales order.

anyway, we recently replaced our dyson with a miele and what a difference. i mistakenly bought a dyson a few years ago and my OH complained every time he had to empty the cylinder with all the dust flying around. it is the biggest load of hype. the miele i bought was cheaper (on sale) and is more effective in vacuuming and more silent. i bought the dyson thinking it would be nice to save on buying bags, but that is a fallacy.

Wise choice. Coming up to ten years with one, runs and works like new. Not a split in the hose, stainless steel attachments look like new. Keep the bags emptied/replaced regularly the good quality motor insode will probably only give up if it gets severely overheated.

HOLA4414

Crass hypocrisy? That would be if he'd left while saying, "the UK rocks" or if he'd stayed while saying, "the UK sucks".

What he's actually done is to leave, and then to make some suggestions (having been asked to do so) about how to make the UK more welcoming for similar wealth creators in future.

Seems reasonable to me. Exactly the sort of things we need to be thinking about.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The only vacuum we have is my girlfriend's Dyson. My god, what a piece of ugly, over-designed crap. The bit at the top of the handle the design affords you to hold falls off at random, it is ergonomically appalling, and it couldn't suck a feather off a glass top table even when empty. A classic example of marketing-over-function, 'aspirational' b*llshite.

I had a £50 Panasonic pull-along thing a couple of years ago, which on full power could lift the carpet clear of the floor in the middle of the room. I managed to leave it at my old place though, doh. Plus the bags were really sturdy so if you had run out you could just empty the contents into the bin and re-use them.

The idea of buying a trendy product to use for something as banal as get crap off the floor is bizarre.

HOLA4419
Guest eight

That certainly rings a bell.

If you want a decent hoover buy a, still british made, Henry hoover.

Couldn't agree more. I melted the hose on mine so rang the number, got through to a lady with a nice west country accent (I believe Henrys are made in Chard?) who knew exactly what I was talking about - no part numbers, serial numbers. etc. required - and sent one out for me on next day delivery. It was like being transported back to my idea of what life in the fifties must have been like.....

eight

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Another member of the Henry fanclub here.

The missus went a bought a Dyson and it hasn't seen the light of day after a couple of months use.

The Henry has better suction, is more versatile and has a bag to keep all the crap in one place.

How annoying is it to have to empty a Dyson into a bag? If you don't and just empty it into the wheelie bin, the next person to throw a bin bag in there gets covered in clouds of dust.

The Dyson is an over designed, over advertised, overpriced piece of foreign made tat.