House Price Crash Forum

Hotel Nightmare - Collapse Of Hospitality Sector

HOLA441

Its very much the middle-range hotels reliant on business trade that are on their last legs at the moment. Top end and bottom end doing OK. If you're anywhere in between - yikes... Tough times. Really stressful trying to save these people from the administrators.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA442
HOLA443
Its very much the middle-range hotels reliant on business trade that are on their last legs at the moment. Top end and bottom end doing OK. If you're anywhere in between - yikes... Tough times. Really stressful trying to save these people from the administrators.

Agreed -

Premier Inn and Travelodge, are doing better than norm.

Big chains are cutting their rates and squeezing the middle independents.

1 star and no star section are getting desperate.

Weekends are still selling out, but mid week days are really down.

HOLA444

What about all those West Wales B&Bs on the Gower and in Pembs - surely they must be doing nicely?

Same for B&Bs across the tourist places such as Cornwall, etc?

HOLA445

Just booked to come back to the UK for 2 weeks over Christmas. Will be staying with the out-laws for most of it but am looking to go to Yorkshire for 3 nights in between Christmas and New Year.

Every hotel we are looking at is available and are offering small discounts at the moment. Not sure if there is no issues with booking as we are (i) booking relatively early, (ii) it is Christmas, or (iii) the economy is going down the shitter.

Anyhow, they will need to offer pretty big discounts to get a booking out of me the prices are scandalous. :o

HOLA446
Saltash Travelodge

from £55.00

per room per night

That much! We use that one when we use the Plymouth-Roscoff ferry.

Got one of the nights for £29 (midweek). There's a Waitrose on the other side of the roundabout , which is an excellent substitute for a minibar.

The rooms are looking a bit tired, but that can be said of a lot of more expensive hotels I've stopped in, and at least we can sleep a family of four in one room instead of paying for two.

We always call Travelodges the McDonalds of the hotel world, cheap, bland, but at least you know what you are getting and you don't feel ripped off.

We've all but given up stopping in proper hotels. We've found some lovely B&B's that we would recommend to complete strangers, but we've not found a hotel that justified that sort of recommendation because of the prices.

HOLA447
Thought the background to your avatar looked familiar.

p-o-p

I once picked my wife up from a flight at heathrow, it was arriving at some stupid time of night so i got a hotel for us, checked in with no luggage on my own and felt i should double check at the desk that it was a double. She gave me a look that said quite plainly "Oh you'll be bringing a prostitute in later then will you, that's nice, I expect your wife will be glad of the syphilis."

Later on wife and luggage in tow, she gave me another look that plainly said "well what do you expect when you do something so unusual as actually bring your wife here"

So i wonder how much prostituting is propping up the hotel economy?

HOLA448
I once picked my wife up from a flight at heathrow, it was arriving at some stupid time of night so i got a hotel for us, checked in with no luggage on my own and felt i should double check at the desk that it was a double. She gave me a look that said quite plainly "Oh you'll be bringing a prostitute in later then will you, that's nice, I expect your wife will be glad of the syphilis."

Later on wife and luggage in tow, she gave me another look that plainly said "well what do you expect when you do something so unusual as actually bring your wife here"

There's role play opportunity there.

HOLA449

sounds like the Russ Hill Hotel....what a dump. 4 stars.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Don't be paranoid. The first wierd look you got was because she was thinking: "of course the room I am allocating you is a double you numbty, what a stupid question, we only ever allocate twin single beds when requested otherwise every hotel gives a double or queen bed (often 2 queens) to single guests, because all guests in business/airport/branded chain hotels expect large beds these days, alone or not"

The second wierd look she gave you and your wife next day, she was thinking: "how on earth did that numbty who asks daft questions about hotel rooms find a woman to marry him?"

HOLA4412
Don't be paranoid. The first wierd look you got was because she was thinking: "of course the room I am allocating you is a double you numbty, what a stupid question, we only ever allocate twin single beds when requested otherwise every hotel gives a double or queen bed (often 2 queens) to single guests, because all guests in business/airport/branded chain hotels expect large beds these days, alone or not"

The second wierd look she gave you and your wife next day, she was thinking: "how on earth did that numbty who asks daft questions about hotel rooms find a woman to marry him?"

I take your point, but i'm sure i saw the word syphilis cross behind her eyes.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Hotel rooms are still too over-priced for single people to just book and go. £50-60/room is £50-60/person for a single ... more than a whole day's gross earnings for most.

I'd love to just feel free to pop away for a weekend, but at £40/weekend, not £60/night... and not just the cheap deals, I want to choose where I go as I'd go somewhere for a reason not just because it was a cheap night.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest Parry aka GOD

Stayed in a hotel recently, $500 a night . . . ludicrous. Even the cockroach in the bathroom was wearing Christian Lacroix and had eight tiny Gucci boots on.

HOLA4420

Company I'm currently at have imposed a spending squeeze on stuff like travel and accommodation. For example, one of the directors needs to stay in a nice bit of central London and there were no rooms in the sub £120 pn range left. Only some upmarket places at £240+. This time last year they would have stumped up through gritted teeth. This year he's staying further out for less dosh and taking the tube in.

They've also got all employees to use Skype whenever possible to cut down the phone bills between their offices, and office and home workers.

Personally I think many hotels and B&Bs in the UK are part of rip-off britain.

HOLA4421

At least you didn't ask for an "extra pillow" - see http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/ne...icle3681312.ece

HOLA4422

I stayed at the new Staybridge Suites hotel in Liverpool last week for a work meeting - their first in the UK - and frankly once they expand around the country they will wipe the floor with the other chains and the independent hotels. For GBP60 you essentially get your own apartment with kitchen, large sofa, work desk, free wifi, lovely bathroom, large plasma screen, free breakfast and nice bed.

Only downside was that it was in Liverpool :(