House Price Crash Forum

The Classic Demise Of A "property Developer"

HOLA441

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle6627011.ece

........The message is clear: change is hard, but change can be good. And what you had before wasn’t necessarily so great. The most dramatic reversals in fortune can serve to highlight what really matters to you. Take Fran Murphy, 29, a chartered surveyor who, with her then partner, set up a property business in 2003, doing up properties and selling them on. Two years ago she was living in a £1m mansion in Yorkshire, splashing out on an £80,000 Porsche and thinking nothing of splurging £3,000 in Selfridges. “We were earning more money than we’d ever dreamt of,†she recalls. “We were making 50 to 60K a month. And spending it just as quick.â€

Then the house market crashed and business dried up overnight. In denial, Fran carried on spending like before. Finally, when she had racked up £100,000 worth of debt on credit cards, she was forced to confront her new reality. She sold the car and all her expensive clothes and jewellery and has managed to reduce her debt level to £25,000. “I got arrogant,†she says. “It made me a bit of a bitch. There’s a cockiness that comes out in you and you start looking down on people. I never want to be that person again!â€

Now Fran volunteers at the Citizens Advice Bureau and is a single mum to Olivia, 3. “We’re so happy. I feel really lucky I’ve got the chance to spend time with my daughter. It’s been hell — I’ve been stood in Tesco counting out 2p pieces to buy bread and milk, and gone from driving around in a top-of-the-range Range Rover to scrabbling around for the bus fare. But now I see what’s important. I’ve found out who I am. You can have all the money in the world, but the things that make you happy, you can’t buy.â€

Redemption of the magnitude of Annakin Skywalker. Shows how quickly the wheels come off of "the dream". Also, demonstrates how long it takes for your average Joe / Joanne to twig that the party is over. I can just picture Fran racking up the credit in the vain belief that "it would all be ok in a few months" and that the market would return to peak 2007.

Sadly, the entire experience seems to have cost these "property experts" their relationship, and therefore denying poor Olivia her father on a daily basis.

Decent article, BTW. People are realising working 8-8pm, 6 days a week and spending 110% of what you earn does not make for a happy and balanced existence.

Monty

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I wish it were 'classic'

Unfortunately most habitual failures seem to do a Bovey and wreck havoc again and again.

Its the typical problem of too much confidence and no enough talent. Im sure the two are related. Lots of talented people have no confidence. Those overconfident people need to be bought back down to earth. Hard.

HOLA445
HOLA446
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle6627011.ece

........The message is clear: change is hard, but change can be good. And what you had before wasn’t necessarily so great. The most dramatic reversals in fortune can serve to highlight what really matters to you. Take Fran Murphy, 29, a chartered surveyor who, with her then partner, set up a property business in 2003, doing up properties and selling them on. Two years ago she was living in a £1m mansion in Yorkshire, splashing out on an £80,000 Porsche and thinking nothing of splurging £3,000 in Selfridges. “We were earning more money than we’d ever dreamt of,†she recalls. “We were making 50 to 60K a month. And spending it just as quick.â€

Then the house market crashed and business dried up overnight. In denial, Fran carried on spending like before. Finally, when she had racked up £100,000 worth of debt on credit cards, she was forced to confront her new reality. She sold the car and all her expensive clothes and jewellery and has managed to reduce her debt level to £25,000. “I got arrogant,†she says. “It made me a bit of a bitch. There’s a cockiness that comes out in you and you start looking down on people. I never want to be that person again!â€

Now Fran volunteers at the Citizens Advice Bureau and is a single mum to Olivia, 3. “We’re so happy. I feel really lucky I’ve got the chance to spend time with my daughter. It’s been hell — I’ve been stood in Tesco counting out 2p pieces to buy bread and milk, and gone from driving around in a top-of-the-range Range Rover to scrabbling around for the bus fare. But now I see what’s important. I’ve found out who I am. You can have all the money in the world, but the things that make you happy, you can’t buy.â€

Redemption of the magnitude of Annakin Skywalker. Shows how quickly the wheels come off of "the dream". Also, demonstrates how long it takes for your average Joe / Joanne to twig that the party is over. I can just picture Fran racking up the credit in the vain belief that "it would all be ok in a few months" and that the market would return to peak 2007.

Sadly, the entire experience seems to have cost these "property experts" their relationship, and therefore denying poor Olivia her father on a daily basis.

Decent article, BTW. People are realising working 8-8pm, 6 days a week and spending 110% of what you earn does not make for a happy and balanced existence.

Monty

Now that she's been humbled she wants our tea and sympathy. Tea and sympathy she never afforded anyone else when she looked down her nose. :rolleyes:

HOLA447
“We were making 50 to 60K a month. And spending it just as quick......“It made me a bit of a bitch. There’s a cockiness that comes out in you and you start looking down on people.

One immediately thinks of logins here such as "MercSL" and "BTLBitch"

:lol::lol::lol:

Squeal piggies

HOLA448
HOLA449

Monty

The media have played a major role in pushing this VI-backed view of the way of the world... Just switch the tv on in the morning - and it's wall to wall bulls1t about "property investment" - with morons walking into rooms/properties that have been done up/"developed", and having orgasms - oooing and cooing about the f*cking colour of the shower curtain/sofa/toilet seat......... F*CKING PATHETIC.... :angry:

Edited by eric pebble

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I wish it were 'classic'

Its the typical problem of too much confidence and no enough talent. Im sure the two are related. Lots of talented people have no confidence.

Middle-management in British industry is bedevilled by this - the looks nice in a suit , style over substance school of management ...

When I had dealings with Scandanavian business several years ago it was noticeable how thir executives took pride in stating their experience when doing initial introductions - the British equivalent were snake oil salesman by comparison - strange ...

HOLA4416
Middle-management in British industry is bedevilled by this - the looks nice in a suit , style over substance school of management ...

When I had dealings with Scandanavian business several years ago it was noticeable how thir executives took pride in stating their experience when doing initial introductions - the British equivalent were snake oil salesman by comparison - strange ...

It's the "British culture".... :rolleyes:

HOLA4417

Oh god yes !! I start explaining how something works to a British client and there is a sort of "I'm a manager I don't need to understand what I'm managing" With the Scandanavian's they already know how it works ..

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Anna Martin, 37, mother to a two-year-old daughter, tells me. But it didn’t feel like that at first, when she was made redundant from the role she had held at an events-management company for six years. “It was a bit like a firing squad. Two hundred of us were all put into redundancy at the same time, my whole department. I was seven months pregnant when I was told, eight months when I left. It was very traumatic. But the package they offered was really good, so I decided to take the money.â€

The payoff enabled her to give herself nine months “maternity leaveâ€, then she went into business with her twin sister. “I’d gone to the job centre but there were very few jobs, and I wanted something with flexible hours so I could enjoy my daughter, Elena, as well as work.†What they came up with was Molliemoo, an online business selling organic, ecofriendly baby gift boxes.

They'll do really well in the current climate. Great place to spunk the redundancy money.

HOLA4420

I'm thinking " unpaid tax bills".
I was thinking that she just got dumped and he made sure she did not take his money (even with a child) ..... - other than that, it's simply an egotistical thing to have in the papers about you - plus these people are also complete Billy BSers - they weren't making 60K a month, they were pretending they were to sound good. lots of businesses may TURN OVER 60K a month, but that does not mean they were making it.... - I suppose that might explain part of the problems she's in if she can't get that...

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest KingCharles1st
The media have played a major role in pushing this VI-backed view of the way of the world... Just switch the tv on in the morning - and it's wall to wall bulls1t about "property investment" - with morons walking into rooms/properties that have been done up/"developed", and having orgasms - oooing and cooing about the f*cking colour of the shower curtain/sofa/toilet seat......... F*CKING PATHETIC.... :angry:

Good point Eric- maybe it's time for the worker orientated "Engineering to beat China" or "Sweat Shop Sunday." But maybe more like "You've been dumped" a homogenous guide to ferreting through waste bins in search of food and clothing

HOLA4424
Guest KingCharles1st
They'll do really well in the current climate. Great place to spunk the redundancy money.

I had a quick squint

http://www.molliemoo.co.uk/

However , it has encouraged me to start my own on line gift company- www.Chavichoo.co.uk

Chav friendly packs include-

4 x pack of commemorative date stamped wifebeater

"Insta-pizza"- A instantly heated pizza for when one needs home comfort after those "special moments."

Personalised copy of either the Sun or Daily Star- linked to birth date- with your football team on the front

Babyflik- a small knife that has quite a few uses- indispensible

A book of emergency taxi tickets- pre paid- only for use after 3am

I'm sure there's more- but I couldn't be arsed

HOLA4425
I wish it were 'classic'

Unfortunately most habitual failures seem to do a Bovey and wreck havoc again and again.

Its the typical problem of too much confidence and no enough talent. Im sure the two are related. Lots of talented people have no confidence. Those overconfident people need to be bought back down to earth. Hard.

this drives me insane - see it first hand every day - typically toffs who believe they have a divine right to work 'in finance' - always ****ing things up...