House Price Crash Forum

Mandy To Save Vauxhall?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Mandy is going to have to spend a lot of time on his knees sucking lots of pen1s to pay for that bailout, because my taxes are not going to fvcking support friggin failed EuroGM! FFS this tax ass rape is endless!

Obama is considering the same deal in America.

It's a mad world.

Stalin is beginning to look like a saint.

HOLA445
I've scoured the world financial papers for mention of Vauxhall - but outside the UK it's just Opel, Opel, Opel.

Because the Uk is GM euopes largest market in terms of sales. All Opel cars are branded Vauxhall to preserve these sales as the UK consumer still equates Vauxhall as a UK based car brand and Opel as German. Rebrand as Opel in the UK and sales would collapese.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Because the Uk is GM euopes largest market in terms of sales. All Opel cars are branded Vauxhall to preserve these sales as the UK consumer still equates Vauxhall as a UK based car brand and Opel as German. Rebrand as Opel in the UK and sales would collapese.

That might be the received wisdom but I think it's wrong-headed. People associate German cars with quality so rebranding them as Opel would give people who can't afford it a reason not to buy a BMW.

Edited by thecrashingisles

HOLA448
That might be the received wisdom but I think it's wrong-headed. People associate German cars with quality so rebranding them as Opel would give people who can't afford it a reason not to buy a BMW.

In this environment people associate German with expensive, that is why Mercedes, BMW etc sales down 40%plus whilst sales of ford, Vauxhall, Nissa, Honda, down between 10% to 20%.

HOLA449
In this environment people associate German with expensive, that is why Mercedes, BMW etc sales down 40%plus whilst sales of ford, Vauxhall, Nissa, Honda, down between 10% to 20%.

Which underlines my point. People still want prestige so give them a cheaper way to 'buy expensive' and they will be more likely to take it.

HOLA4410

If people are not going to buy cars, then simply let the company go under.

There are many companies making cars in the world, the current market in car manufacture is far too big and needs pruning anyway. The fewer manufacturers there are, the cheaper cars will become as smaller manufacturers will step up production and have the economies of scale on their side.

Same goes with the Banks and many other companies that are looking for taxpayers money to pay them to live a life they would like to become accustomed to.

HOLA4411

There are many companies making cars in the world, the current market in car manufacture is far too big and needs pruning anyway. The fewer manufacturers there are, the cheaper cars will become as smaller manufacturers will step up production and have the economies of scale on their side.

Same goes with the Banks and many other companies that are looking for taxpayers money to pay them to live a life they would like to become accustomed to.

What! Let the slave labour of China have it all then. Nuts.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The only thing the bloke on the radio could muster was giving the example of 10% of US employment is related to the car industry.

Nowt to do with the UK where I suspect it actaully grows higher each day as other employment fails.

We shouldn't be saving car companies.

We shouldn't have "saved" the banks.

They should stop spending our money on tat.

HOLA4415

How likely is the German government to offer big financial help to Opel? Germany, unlike UK, has a large home-owned motor industry consisting of VW-Audi group, Daimler-Benz and BMW. Ford also has a major manufacturing presence there. So there's no national pride at stake over Opel.

The fact that a Belgian group is in the running for taking on Vauxhall but no British interest has come forward to rescue them is quite telling.

Edited by blankster

HOLA4416
How likely is the German government to offer big financial help to Opel?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8069680.stm

German Chancellor Angela Merkel will be meeting GM representatives, US government officials and domestic regional leaders.

Her government is being asked to put up hefty loan guarantees for the winning bidder for GM Europe, so its backing could sway US parent GM's ultimate decision on who to sell to.

This is because Opel has its headquarters in Germany, and 25,000 of the firm's 50,000 workers are employed in the country.

The four bidders for GM Europe are Italy's Fiat, Canada's Magna, Belgium's RHJ and China's Beijing Automotive Industry Corporation (BAIC).

With an election looming, Berlin does not want to see too many job losses arising from the takeover.

Magna says it will lay off 2,500 workers in Germany, while Fiat says it will cut 2,000 jobs.

BAIC, however, says it will not cut any jobs for at least two years.

But the takeover will also affect 5,000 Vauxhall workers at plants at Ellesmere Port and Luton in the UK.

The UK government has said it might consider making a financial contribution to help secure the future of Vauxhall.

it looks like Angela Merkel "could" stuff the UK's 5000 employees to stave off redundancies in Germany to save face for the Election

HOLA4417

The only thing that will save vauxhall is the possibility of a sales collapse if it is sold down the river. Although i think their cars are good i wont buy another if the UK plants close down. Unless they are very very cheap.

HOLA4418
The only thing that will save vauxhall is the possibility of a sales collapse if it is sold down the river. Although i think their cars are good i wont buy another if the UK plants close down. Unless they are very very cheap.

They won't be cheap with the £ where it is.

HOLA4419

Totally agree, there is too much capacity.

And what these governments are going to do is to get into an auction of subsidies to keep whatever jobs can be saved in their countries. They would be far better off looking at the situation like over fishing, in the event that had to come down to co-operation through quotas.

That should be what the EU is for.

HOLA4420

"Motability".

This isn't a disabled-bashing post, and I'll leave consideration of proportion of those claiming disability benefits truthfully aside, but how important is this scheme to the UK car industry?

It certainly sounds large...

Who runs the Motability Scheme?

The Motability Scheme has supplied over 2 million cars and powered wheelchairs to disabled

customers since it was set up by the Government in 1978. The Scheme is directed and overseen by

Motability, a national charity that also raises funds from voluntary sources to provide financial assistance

to people who would otherwise be unable to join the Scheme.

...but what proportion of funding is from voluntary donations?

...and what proportion involuntary taxation?

...what is the future for this scheme given the claimed crackdowns on benefits from both political parties?

...is it shoring up the UK car industry, if so will it be kicked away or enhanced to continue the shadow support?

Just some thoughts...

http://www.motabilitycarscheme.co.uk/docum...%20-%201007.pdf

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
You've got to ask yourself whether the world needs anymore Corsa's and Astra's?

I don't think so myself. :unsure:

I agree its old technology. Love the way the Chinese are piling into this old industry.

Quick update. On the BBC local news, "outrage" over plans to build a super prison on the former Ford works at Dagenham. I have to ask why thats so offensive. Its not known as an area of outstanding natural beauty!