House Price Crash Forum

Qe Explaind By Dumb People, For Dumb People.

HOLA441

I cannot believe how pathetic this BBC video at describing how quantitative easing is supposed to work.

It features a reporter with a presenting style usually reserved for pre-school children television.

He is dressed as a mechanic, leaning over the the engine of a car, as if somehow QE and economics is related to how a car engine works. I am all for simplifying complex economic ideas by using analogies to get across the concept, but I just don't see the connection.

His manner of communication, seems to portray QE as a common economic tool that is used to fix economic problems, like a pump being used to inflate a deflated tyre, and that those who use such tools know precisely what they are doing. There are no ill consequences and no moral hazards to consider "its like filling up a petrol tank with imaginary petrol" Yes he actually said that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/the_...ics/7925669.stm

HOLA442

It's more like pissing in the tank.

There is more liquid, but the same embedded energy.

Do it too much and the engine will stall. Do it really to much and you'll break the engine.

HOLA443

Are you surprised?

This is just an example of inept propaganda. The Treasury and BoE desperately want people to believe that QE will cause run-away inflation... because that will lead them to spend their savings... which, in turn, will support the economy. This acts against the emerging risk-adverse popular behaviour where asset prices are seen to be falling and are expected to continue to fall. QE will be inflationary if:

1. People fundamentally believe it will be and act accordingly.

2. The assets that are bought are bad assets where default is a foregone conclusion... landing the taxpayer with a significant loss.

HOLA444
HOLA445
It's more like pissing in the tank.

There is more liquid, but the same embedded energy.

Do it too much and the engine will stall. Do it really to much and you'll break the engine.

+1

Spot on. I will be telling friends I thought of that.

HOLA446
"its like filling up a petrol tank with imaginary petrol" Yes he actually said that.

This is so you can imagine you are going to work, to the job you no longer have.

Then you can imagine you are coming home to the house you have been evicted from.

Seems sensible to me.

HOLA447

Why didn't they just show a clip of a printing press churning out vast quantities of crisp new twenties, interspersed with the occasional Weimar photo of notes in barrows/furnaces etc ?

Can only assume that they are trying to confuse people so that they don't understand what is actually happening.

Edit: Surplus word removed.

Edited by narrowescape

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Hopefully people will realise the fatal flaw with trying to get anywhere on "imaginary petrol".

Lets hope in 6 months time they are not telling us how we can fill our stomachs on "imaginary food"...

I cannot believe how pathetic this BBC video at describing how quantitative easing is supposed to work.

It features a reporter with a presenting style usually reserved for pre-school children television.

He is dressed as a mechanic, leaning over the the engine of a car, as if somehow QE and economics is related to how a car engine works. I am all for simplifying complex economic ideas by using analogies to get across the concept, but I just don't see the connection.

His manner of communication, seems to portray QE as a common economic tool that is used to fix economic problems, like a pump being used to inflate a deflated tyre, and that those who use such tools know precisely what they are doing. There are no ill consequences and no moral hazards to consider "its like filling up a petrol tank with imaginary petrol" Yes he actually said that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/the_...ics/7925669.stm

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

if he wanted ot use car analogy or petrol he should have used the difference between 100ron and 95ron fuel

ie

it would only really work with a turbo charged car running higher than stock boost to get more BHP and torque

we have been running on 100ron fuel for 10 years and the ECU has been mapped to suit, the boost has been raised by 50% and the car is running smooth and fast.

then we start using 95ron with out de-tuning the engine, this causes detonation and a hole begins to appear in the piston, but as the pistons in locked away inside you cant see it, but you can feel it, you keep driving, heat uilds up in that piston which starts to burn the head gasket away, oil mixes with the water, and that mixes with the petrol, then the piston gives away, whist your driving at 100mph 200 miles from home.

you

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
A 2009 version of this 1930s short film!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Dzdc1H0wM

:lol: I spat my tea out at 4:25 :P

Great footage from the 30s though - shows how nothing has changed. The people are thick and can be told anything. And if you tell them stuff in a dumbed down way they somehow give up trying to understand the issue further and give in to the supposedly more intelligent authorities.

As for the BBC clip - I saw it this morning. Staggering. The dumbing down of Britain in action.

Edited by Mr Deflation

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Liked it a lot. If we do run a repeat here, I'm not sure how the retired residents 'down south' are going to take to the underemployed inner city residents descending on them in search of cotton pickin' jobs!

p-o-p

Good old black Joe.

Liked how he perved over Ophelia the farmers teenage daughter

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Rule 96: You can explain anything with a car analogy.

An analogy is like a car..... which is similar to another car.

There you go.

HOLA4424
jeeze did you see in that video: wheat at $0.43 a bushel! it's $517.00 now!

I gues the "inflation plan" worked :lol:

You're kidding.

They still have bushels ?

I seem to remember (vaguely - I did this not long after potty training) that there

are a certain number of pecks in a bushel.

HOLA4425