House Price Crash Forum

Suggest A Degree

rw42

HOLA441

Thanks for the Teaching Company link. It wasn't till I left education that I realised learning could be fun, have been a butterfly scholar ever since and I've no interest in certificates.

I know a guy that has just finished his Phd in philosophy as a mature student. He was full of it before but now is insufferable. Trying to have a conversation with him in the room is a nightmare. Say that black is the opposite of white and out he'll come with all kinds of ******** trying to proove that nothing is what it seems. Can't they make the buggers do an A level in pragmatism first?

What about a skill rather than a degree? Furniture restoration or something equally satisfying maybe.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Do economics, stay on and do a PhD then move into academia and spend your life lecturing future generations about the faults in the system.

You don't even need to do that.

Just find out what everyone else is saying and make sure you are in the middle somewhere.

Then you can say "Well nobody saw it coming" when asked why you are such a ******wit.

HOLA445

Don't do it. Degrees are just "I am this_____ clever" badges. You already have one. Honestly, what does one actually learn at Uni? You would be far better off spending the three years doing something you are truly interested in or starting a business.

If you are certain a second degree would help you get the job then fine but since you haven't even selected a field let alone a subject and are resorting to asking on an Internet forum the writing is already on the wall.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Surfing studies - 3 years full time at the university of plymouth.

Year 1

You are introduced to basic concepts including ocean science, materials technology and business studies

The history and development of surf recreation is outlined

Modules in scientific techniques prepare you for practical work in subsequent years

Year 2

Ocean science is developed through the study of marine meteorology, waves, tides & beaches

Earlier studies of materials and design are applied to surf equipment, and human biology and performance is linked with surfing performance and its enhancement

More involved management and financial study occurs, including event management

Year 3

Modules include advanced surf zone dynamics, environmental issues for marine sports, advanced physiology for surfing, trade and international commerce

You complete a scientific research project in a surf-related discipline

You may take part in an overseas residential field trip

*hangs ten*

This is for real? A degree course? :blink:

You actually drove me to Google to check.

I'm lost for words.

Why don't they offer a degree in dogwalking? It's complicated - lead technology, breed analysis, navigational techniques, owner management, park interaction, fecal recovery etiquette - you could easily fill 3 years....

HOLA448
HOLA449

Go and do a practical design degree or something. Maybe woodwork, furniture design, 3d design, product design or apply to do some volunteer work doing woodland management, maybe through the NT or BTCV.

I'd really be trying to learn practical skills at the moment, you could even do a VSO thing, go abroad maybe teaching I.T. and get your TEFL before you go.

With the IT thing you'll already prove useful to those who might be a bit I.T. shy or inexperienced, in exchange get some practical skills that will in extreme EOTWAWKI circumstances be vital, and more likely will make you more useful and independent anyway, especially if you decide to buy a doer upper eventually.

A few years ago one way of doing all this might be to volunteer for the T.A. but I'd keep well away from that at the moment.

If you want to keep the IT thing going I'd recommend trying to get on the SAP/Microsoft Developer/Professional gravy train, and learning German or Chinese

HOLA4410
Say for example someone was looking at getting made redundant very shortly.

They have a reasonable amount saved up.

They took a degree in computer science which was not especially enjoyable or useful.

They believe the job market at the moment is not looking especially tempting right now.

Would they be forgiven in thinking that sponging more money in student loans, going to live somewhere cheap and getting drunk/laid frequently would be an enjoyable way to spend the next few years of the brownturn?

I was thinking of something like a philosophy degree - something just for me to make me think, without any regard to it affecting my employability and giving maximal time to out of hours studies.

Suggest a cheap town to live, a nice university to go to, and a fun/interesting course that you'd actually want to do just for the knowledge, instead of the job it'd get you at the end of it?

Go to Japan and teach English. Learn Japanese while you're there.

You'll get laid (a lot, or so I'm told), because you're a Brit you'll be expected to get drunk, you'll encounter a different culture and you'll be more employable afterwards.

HOLA4411
I've just got no need to look for a job right now if nothing comes up, and could live for a few years on my savings. What i'm looking for is an enjoyable way to spend the next few years if i don't end up walking into another job that takes more of my waking hours than i really want to give.

A foreign language does appeal, always wanted to learn german..

Why not scan around Jobserve for a contract position in Germany. Nothing to be lost on a short 3 month contract. To be honest, I think the only way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in it. Most Germans - or at least the ones I've worked with over the years in IT - have excellent English. You'd probably have no issues finding a contract on an English speaking project in Germany. That's what one of my mates from Uni. did, with a short course in German before he went. He got married out there to a local girl and never came back!

Cheers,

Nomadd.

HOLA4412
The Teaching Company are even cheaper if you use torrents.

Definitely took me reaching adult hood to realise learning could be fun. Luckily I got decent enough grades at school anyway even though I didn't put any effort in back then.

Actually I first discovered TTC by downloading a course from thepiratebay, I was so impressed I've since purchased half a dozen courses from them. (wouldn't recommend the economics one though, I think it needs a lot of rewriting given recent history)

They do very good quality stuff for a very cheap price, why nick it?

HOLA4413
+100

Must have watched about 20 of these so far. Many of them multiple times over.

The only problem is, they prove to you how utterly craap everything else is on TV. Once you've watched a few TTC courses, the rest of the world of television seems very dumb.

Nomadd

+200

I have loads of these downloaded as MP3's.

I listen to them while out running, hill walking, walking to work, on the tube, etc.

They are fantastic.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

They took a degree in computer science which was not especially enjoyable or useful.

They believe the job market at the moment is not looking especially tempting right now.

Would they be forgiven in thinking that sponging more money in student loans, going to live somewhere cheap and getting drunk/laid frequently would be an enjoyable way to spend the next few years of the brownturn?

I was thinking of something like a philosophy degree - something just for me to make me think, without any regard to it affecting my employability and giving maximal time to out of hours studies.

Suggest a cheap town to live, a nice university to go to, and a fun/interesting course that you'd actually want to do just for the knowledge, instead of the job it'd get you at the end of it?

How about someone was to do a distance learning course with the open university.

As it is distance learning, that someone would have the flexability to live anywhere they wanted.

The social element would be lacking, BUT if unemployed the courses are free.

This means another degree WITHOUT the hideous price tag.

Also, free time would be maximised as you can work at your own pace, creating your own structure.

Shag the local girls at the bakery counter, iceland, etc...

:P

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Gonna cost ya

If you already have a degree, 2nd time round it's down to you my friend.

Lampeter is cheap. Or Lancaster

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

do your own homework you lazy f.ckwit

Edited by contractor

HOLA4421
Gonna cost ya

If you already have a degree, 2nd time round it's down to you my friend.

Lampeter is cheap. Or Lancaster

The EPSRC paid for my 2nd taught degree.

IIRC all places on the course were paid for by them.

It was 13 years ago so it could well have changed.

HOLA4422

Go to Stockholm and do a masters in something useful. All the Indians are doing it because university is free in Sweden. What you lose in a higher cost of living you will gain by not having to pay fees. They also have some pretty high powered courses.

I thought this one looked fun myself

http://www.kth.se/studies/master/programmes/csc/2.1729?l=en

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Thanks for the most well thought out reply, and i guess i can quite safely ignore anything you have to say in the future. Who would have thought to ask on the internet for advice :/

Yeah, you can killfile me and I won't give a sh!t one way or the other. Why you would base the rest of your life on an anon internet forum is beyond me.

A question to you: What do you enjoy doing? Do that, and plan to do it for 10 years. In 10+ you might have had enough but if you enjoy it then hopefully you can excel in it and either contribute back to society or earn sh!tloads. If it's not for you then change and apply what ou have learned to another area; what you have learned won't be a waste.

I'm lucky, I knew what I wanted to do from school and I still love it now.

HOLA4425