House Price Crash Forum

mumsnet: millennials and housing

Loui

HOLA441
10 hours ago, mrtickle said:

Charming, aren't they:

Presumably that means "give one of the children away"?!

The Fookwits

Thats the whole point. £45-50k should be more than enough for a decent starter home or a do it upper if you need something bigger. The fact is you’re looking at  three times that amount to make that big starter milestone in life, a privilege these mental degenerates took advantage off.

Ah but double digit interest rates, rations, out door cr4pers etc.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
12 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

I'm not at all convinced it was hard to buy a house in the 70s and 80s. It was a time of increasing homeownership rates, increasing real wages and a mass council house sell-off with juicy discounts. The average FTB was in their early 20s.

Easy to do the sums.

If you have ~10% inflation and ~10% wage inflation then you only need to slum the first 3-5 years and you are sorted.

MIRAS took a bite out of the higher interest.

Buying a house at 4x earnings, with 10% price inflation and 11% wage inflation is easy.

Buying a house at 8x wages, with 5% price inflation and 0% wage inflation is impossible.

HOLA443
4 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Easy to do the sums.

If you have ~10% inflation and ~10% wage inflation then you only need to slum the first 3-5 years and you are sorted.

MIRAS took a bite out of the higher interest.

Buying a house at 4x earnings, with 10% price inflation and 11% wage inflation is easy.

Buying a house at 8x wages, with 5% price inflation and 0% wage inflation is impossible.

Plus just look at the outcomes: 80% of over 65s own property, almost all of the rest don't need to as they have a secure council tenancy. Running a mile in under 4 minutes is difficult, not many people can do it. If 80% of an age cohort managed to do something that means it wasn't difficult.

HOLA444
HOLA445
8 hours ago, winkie said:

Not that long ago anything was possible or achieveable, kids had freedom, they didn't need a degree, they could walk from one job to the next learning as they go......obtaining a secure home that one wage could pay for was possible, children had more siblings, nobody coveted the latest trainers, kids had fun and freedoms, they could fall down and hurt themselves.....no mobile phones, little TV.......they played together, lots of youth clubs and activities available for little or no cost, important life and social skills mastered, fewer stresses and pressures.......all kids had the capability to succeed if they wanted to, far more opportunities for everyone then imo.;)

I was one of those, born in the 50s left (grammar) school at 16 as I was bored and went to do an engineering apprenticeship. Bought my first house age 22 etc etc. I was never particularly interested in money but somehow I have always found jobs that paid well. It was easier for us, there's no doubt about it, things now are totally out of hand and can't possibly be sustainable.

I sold up and rented because it gives me the freedom to work where I like, I just rent locally but one day I suppose I will have to retire and will need somewhere to live hence my interest in HPC. Until I found this site I didn't notice how blinkered and naive most of my generation are, it seems blindingly obvious that things can't go on as they are now, I think their cosy little worlds might be heading into an ice age soon.

HOLA446
9 hours ago, durhamborn said:

Exactly.Its pretty simple for me.If someone works full time they should be able to afford to buy a house.The only affect how good the job is should be the size of the house etc.If someone who works full time cant buy a two bed terrace then the government has failed.

This completely. Why is this so hard for people to understand?

It’s not just Mumsnet. It seems every comment section/thread regarding housing affordability has over the last few weeks been overrun with pro HPI anti Young trolling. Why have they suddenly all come out of the woodwork (again)? Are they scared sentiment is turning? Has Fergus Wilson enlisted a Russian Troll factory? 

Completely overrun with the same tired old platitudes and arguments.

Edited by PopGun

HOLA447
HOLA448

It seems everyone on that site thinks they have had it hard, I suppose if some of them have lived through previous crashes and huge interest rates they may have a point.  Still I’m surprised by the lack of basic empathy.  They sound like a bunch of callous older women.  Could it be that most people once they personally are sorted just don’t care, nor interested in or have any real understanding of economics....

HOLA449
1 hour ago, happily renting said:

check out OH with unrealistic expectations, in which (and I can’t believe I’m not making this up) the other half “is the one being greedy when you think about it, wanting to pay a lot less for a house that is worth a lot more.”

First reply on that thread: "supply and demand". I feel like this phrase could be substituted with "suck it up youngsters" in almost all contexts.

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, happily renting said:

As long as you’re over on mumsdebt,

SeAcGbU.jpg

check out OH with unrealistic expectations, in which (and I can’t believe I’m not making this up) the other half “is the one being greedy when you think about it, wanting to pay a lot less for a house that is worth a lot more.”

Stay strong, OH (and PIL). You are a bold soldier.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
24 minutes ago, Yvonne said:

It seems everyone on that site thinks they have had it hard, I suppose if some of them have lived through previous crashes and huge interest rates they may have a point.  Still I’m surprised by the lack of basic empathy.  They sound like a bunch of callous older women.  Could it be that most people once they personally are sorted just don’t care, nor interested in or have any real understanding of economics....

I think a lot of it is people only have housing equity so its the thing that makes them feel smug.Others have a big mortgage and would be stuffed when interest rates increase a lot.

A woman i know is about to lose her smug outlook.Her husband has a good job and they MEWed over the years,new cars,holidays a new sofa every couple of years,house moves etc.He told her yesterday hes leaving her for some woman he has met while working away.There will be hardly any equity in the big house.He will pay the mortgage for another 3 years because his youngest is 15,but then the house will be sold.They might get £10k each.She will be 47 with a part time job in Asda.She wont be able to buy anything on her wage.The years of spending everything including what the house went up are about to catch up and it will be a huge shock to the system.

High house prices are a poison on society for many reasons and not just on people buying now or priced out.

Edited by durhamborn

HOLA4413
3 minutes ago, Lavalas said:

Stay strong, OH (and PIL). You are a bold soldier.

OH has already lost, his partner has no clue about the value of money e.g. how much work it takes to hold £20k in your hand. Financially clueless people should shack up together, they can bond over puzzlement at why they don't have a pot to urinate in after decades of mindlessly copying what everybody else was doing.

HOLA4414
2 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Plus just look at the outcomes: 80% of over 65s own property, almost all of the rest don't need to as they have a secure council tenancy. Running a mile in under 4 minutes is difficult, not many people can do it. If 80% of an age cohort managed to do something that means it wasn't difficult.

Very Good and well put. 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
4 minutes ago, Slimline said:

Spoke to a guy i used to know recently who has mortgaged himself to the hilt for his place. His answer when pressed about how he'll afford it long term... "I'll release equity in a few years when it's gone up".

The solution to debt is debt, didn't you know?!

HOLA4417
16 minutes ago, Yvonne said:

I think its worse than that.

The majority of mumsnets poster are very much debtmonkey/BTL loons. borrow more + more + more.

The reality that anyone owning a property is that, bar the last 15 years of IO BTL loons, post-MMR houses will ltransact at 20% deposit, 4x house income - net of any other debt and recurring spend.

Idiots borrowing 100ks to build up an IO BTL chain and idiots taking out IO OO mortgages have driven the housing market from 2002ish.

Both these are dead.

Going forward, the UK housing is driven by much lower credit. At the moment, this is showing up in much lower transactions. One of the side effects of QE is that people feel hey can hold their position. They really cannot as IR turn up - not to 10+, just 4-5, and with a spread of BoE rates of 3-4, mortgages will become very expensive.

If you know what the housing market of the next 10 years will look like just checkout how much people i ntheir 20s + 30s are earning today and times it by 4.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
3 hours ago, happily renting said:

As long as you’re over on mumsdebt,

bnh.PNG.8e9b1fe5e24b15e73fc07806dbdb8be7.PNG

She sounds like a barrel of laughs. I wonder what motives she may have regarding house price sentiment?

This is a sick joke.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
6 minutes ago, Locke said:

bnh.PNG.8e9b1fe5e24b15e73fc07806dbdb8be7.PNG

She sounds like a barrel of laughs. I wonder what motives she may have regarding house price sentiment?

This is a sick joke.

Or waiting until prices suit you. 

Which given how the market is going to play out over the next few years means it makes sense to only bid what you can afford.

HOLA4422

Children are involved - don't have kids if you can't afford them, so they lose a little bit of sympathy there from me, although only a little since there's not more than two, and someone in their position should be able to afford to support their children and have a home. So I pretty much agree with the sentiments on this thread.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425