Make Wiseguy Tenants Disappear

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I've heard the advert on bbc radio quite a few times over the past few months and thought it to be well dodgy, very unpleasant and rather nasty - a sort of intolerance all under the guise of humour.

There's no need to advertise using that sort of message to sell a product and it does Direct Line no service. Even so rather than portraying tenants badly it does nothing for landlords' image and one questions why - in the broader scheme of things.

I switch over whenever it starts now.

Edited by billybong

HOLA448

That is it, the sinister message I mention. Advertising probably created by landlords for landlords looking upon themselves as elitist and giving off the same vibes as the Irish hating British feeling of the 1950's and 1960's where they really do look down on tenants as just failed scum who they feed off. I have been in the company of a number of LL's after a few drinks too many, and though there is part of me which does understand whether we like it or not that there is a law of the juggle mentality in even the most civilised countries, these people are not anywhere what you would call Alpha males, far from it.

Do you know the type of 50 year old plus unfit fat slob that cycles on a Sunday in lycra and wears the SKY team kit and thinks he looks good

Alpha Whales.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

On behalf of all my fellow renters I would like to apologise for being subhuman scum.

Given that renters these days are often well paid professionals, and quite a lot of those are IT whizzes, why don't some of them get their heads together and set up a mainstream website which rates LLs and exposes those who routinely and deliberately ignore the rules and the generally crap ones.

Renters are a growing proportion of the housed population, there must be considerable market power there.

HOLA4412

My view is young professionals are taken by surprise by the real world. They however have been fed the mantra by parents of get a degree, get a job and your on your way.

The parents as a rule are living in cloud cuckoo land.

So the young professionals either leave the country or rent a room in a shared house for hundreds of pounds.

Mind you I lived in bedsits for a year or two, they've never had it so good.

HOLA4413

Mostly, it isn't the landlords that need protecting but the tenants.

These 'wiseguy tenants' are merely people who are using the law laid down to protect their interests. It is the landlords who ignore these rules and depend on ignorance on the part of the tenant that are the problem.

And even after all that, over the last 30 years (and particularly the last 20) tenant rights have been eroded, landlord rights strengthened. This should be reversed.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

My view is young professionals are taken by surprise by the real world. They however have been fed the mantra by parents of get a degree, get a job and your on your way.

So the young professionals either leave the country or rent a room in a shared house for hundreds of pounds.

Worth a couple of years living in a shithole, to be able to spend the last 40 years of your life going on about how easy the youth of today have it.

HOLA4416

Do you know what, that really is quite sinister and there is a real underlying message there or the joke just would not work, just like all the innuendo you might have seen about blacks and gays on 1970's British TV that would not be tolerated today.

Put a complaint to the ASA

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Given that renters these days are often well paid professionals, and quite a lot of those are IT whizzes, why don't some of them get their heads together and set up a mainstream website which rates LLs and exposes those who routinely and deliberately ignore the rules and the generally crap ones.

Renters are a growing proportion of the housed population, there must be considerable market power there.

I have often thought this would be great but I imagine there would be problems with libel and it would need managing full time. You could probably monetise it with advertising though.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Actually I have my landlord by the ******ing balls. leveraged to ****** he needs me to keep paying that rent. IF I decided to not pay and get evicted it would effectively bankrupt him. How many are in that position? I expect most of them could barely cover one months void.

He was lording it over me one day too and had assumed that we were scum. Until of course i mentioned the problems with being in the higher tax bracket. You should have seen his face. hilarious. I am not one to gloat but the mischievous part of me cant help my self with *****.

HOLA4421

I think someone could easily create a bot similar to the one that handles parking appeals to do renter deposit appeals...

HOLA4422

Actually I have my landlord by the ******ing balls. leveraged to ****** he needs me to keep paying that rent. IF I decided to not pay and get evicted it would effectively bankrupt him. How many are in that position? I expect most of them could barely cover one months void.

He was lording it over me one day too and had assumed that we were scum. Until of course i mentioned the problems with being in the higher tax bracket. You should have seen his face. hilarious. I am not one to gloat but the mischievous part of me cant help my self with *****.

Give in your notice for a laugh next time he lords it over you, I dare you :). Let him sweat for a day or 2 and then say you were only joking :D

HOLA4423

This is spot-on. I work with a lot of young people of graduate age and life stage. Many enter postgraduate studies to keep the dream alive but the reality is that there are a limited number of genuine workplace opportunities for graduate skills and many of those that exist are within closed-shop working environments where your background determines your eligibility. It's all quite depressing, really.

HOLA4424

This strikes a chord with me. 35 now, did many of the 'right things', but without a wealthy background the best thing I could ever have done would have been to max out on buying a house within months of getting a job after graduating (early 2000s). Made the mistake of trying to enjoy adulthood for a bit...

I always knew life was intrinsically unfair, but nobody every prepared me for how much it could take the piff.

HOLA4425

I have often thought this would be great but I imagine there would be problems with libel and it would need managing full time. You could probably monetise it with advertising though.

Yes ... but then there's this: OK, so that's the US ... but seriously, the market has got so anti-tenant that people can see a market in the tenant's data ... and find *another* way of squeezing more out of the hapless folks who make the mistake of filling in a form for this sort of tracker site.

Except, if this takes off, then the tenant won't have a choice but to sign up to such invasion(s) of their privacy.

Just because I rent my home I then have to give up more of my privacy to some unknown organisation who might not even bother securing my data properly ...

And what happens to the hapless now-single person when their significant other trashes the place as they leave?

And what happens when a rogue landlord decides to trash someone's "tenant profile" -> what will the person moving out be able to do about it?

Having bought recently -> I can confirm - that in my case at the very least - the inspection of me and my life is far less invasive when buying than when changing where I rent.

Disclosure: I no longer rent. But you really couldn't make it up ... I genuinely believed the crash was going to happen within days of me buying ... but I really couldn't conceive of the depths of TPTB's commitment to endless HPI and the social misery for renters ... and for my children who are really going to face the pain of this.

Edited by Aidan Ap Word