Badger

HOLA441
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
People in queue with me this morning were under misunderstanding that all was half price, I told them it wasn't, it's the SAME PRICE AS THE OTHER DAY - ie 20 to 50% off. Most items were not cheap even with 20% off.

I was in the q just for a price check, I bought zilch.

edit - some items only 10% off - the confectionery looked pricey even if 20% off

And we expect these same people to have read the small print on their mortgage and bank loans etc. They can't even be bothered to read a sign with about 10 words on it.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Absolutely jam-packed in the Ilford branch today... It amazed me on a weekday so many seemingly able-bodied folk were spending the day stampeding woolies (I was on a legit day off btw).

Walked away with a pair of slippers for £3 (which were NOT reduced!!) and a bathroom bin for £4 reduced from £5. Most of the items seemed to be at 20% or 30% off with media as mentioned by other posters at 10%.

HOLA446
HOLA447
I joined a crowd of bargain hunters today outside woolies on the way to work, just to see if xbox games had been reduced further.. no such luck but the general mood was of end of an institution but no-one was surprised at their downfall. The manager appreciated me wishing him luck as he gestured to the crowd stating that most people couldn't give a toss outside getting some tat for even less than the day before.

No loss.

HOLA448

Woolies was the talk of the office today - and everyone wanted to help out by buying stuff they wouldn't normally do just to help woolies out.

However, they went in - along with massive crowds and discovered that there was no 50% off - 10-20% on stuff that they could never return.

Since tonight was late night shopping - and all other shops had 20% off - they all gave up with the big check-out queues and went elsewhere.

A big shame - it seems that we all wanted to help them out and do our bit - but the managers/administrators of woolies felt that they could still make a killing by advertising something they weren't offering.

Rather odd about Woolies - I've never known so much sentiment - even amongst the young - towards buying out their stock just to help them out.

It would only have worked if they realised - and capitalised on the good will and offered real bargains.

After lunch - everyone concluded that whilst upset that the staff have no jobs - the managers have misread the situation.

What happens to woolies stock when they close the doors on Saturday night - will it then go on ebay?

HOLA449
Colleague just bumped into someone in the cafe carrying a woolies bag.

Asked her about what it was like down there and she said it was carnage. People Q'ing out the door, for the same reductions on the same tat that they were selling yesterday.

I'm expecting a woolies spokemen to issue a statement after the new year saying "only joking" :ph34r:

Until I can get xbox games dirt cheap in there, I'm not touching it.

My wife went down there this morning. The 'Closing Down Sale' was the same sale as the '50% Off Sale' from yesterday where hardly anything worth buying had 50% off. <_<

It was just a publicity stunt serving two purposes. The first was to con more people into going there today and the second was to kid potential buyers (of the company) that they will close it down if nobody makes an acceptable offer.

HOLA4410

The downfall of this shop has been coming for years, they knew it and I honestly think most people expected it. They failed to modernise and this is what you get for staying in 1970.

I feel for the people losing their jobs but I'm they won't be the last as losts of big companies are shedding thousands of jobs at the moment. 3 million + unemployed by the summer.

HOLA4411
The downfall of this shop has been coming for years, they knew it and I honestly think most people expected it. They failed to modernise and this is what you get for staying in 1970.

I feel for the people losing their jobs but I'm they won't be the last as losts of big companies are shedding thousands of jobs at the moment. 3 million + unemployed by the summer.

I worked at their Swindon distribution centre for a company that had a contract there. That was in the early 90's and all the talk then was about them going down the pan. They were all expecting mass redundancies. I don't know what happened in the end to those guys but I have seen Woolies as a lame duck ever since those days.

HOLA4412

I think the problem is more like they've not stayed in the 1970's. From what I remember (I was a kid though) Woolies sold really quite decent stuff, and stocked the things people wanted and needed; they seemed to know their market a lot more. All I've seen for the last 10 years is cheap foreign tat that you expect to break soon after it's first use, ie: it became a shop that palmed off a lot of cr@p onto people.

Might be a little rose tinted on my part, but I think there's a shred of truth in what I remember and I'm genuinely very sad to see it go.

TFH

Edited by Tin Foil Hat

HOLA4413
A big shame - it seems that we all wanted to help them out and do our bit - but the managers/administrators of woolies felt that they could still make a killing by advertising something they weren't offering.

If they did that, they broke the law and should be roundly sued. My wife and I were there today and neither of us saw a single piece of tat no matter how tacky that was 50% off.

Did anyone?

HOLA4414
If they did that, they broke the law and should be roundly sued. My wife and I were there today and neither of us saw a single piece of tat no matter how tacky that was 50% off.

I think it was a case of 50% of people took one quick look round and said "sod this, I'm off".

Selective editing at it's best.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Looks like Zavvi's on the way out as a knock on from Woolies. They owe their EUK arm £100m+. Did a tour of about half a dozen shopping centres across the SE today Zavvi would have won the prize for most customers in the shop whilst least spending at the till. Game seemed the most buoyant by a long chalk, big queues and all tills open. Lots of queues at some places simply because not enough tills open.

If Zavvi go down the bearded wonder will probably get the lease back anf take a hammering for their debts. At least he's got the air travel businesses to prop him up.

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

HOLA4417
Looks like Zavvi's on the way out as a knock on from Woolies. They owe their EUK arm £100m+. Did a tour of about half a dozen shopping centres across the SE today Zavvi would have won the prize for most customers in the shop whilst least spending at the till. Game seemed the most buoyant by a long chalk, big queues and all tills open. Lots of queues at some places simply because not enough tills open.

If Zavvi go down the bearded wonder will probably get the lease back anf take a hammering for their debts. At least he's got the air travel businesses to prop him up.

Zaavi seemed to be a strange offering; a thoroughly familiar shop but without the brand name to back it up. The cutting of their internet offering was the first sign of trouble, even if it was Woolies-related.

Can HMV buck the trend?

Edited by cheeznbreed

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Zaavi seemed to be a strange offering; a thoroughly familiar shop but without the brand name to back it up. The cutting of their internet offering was the first sign of trouble, even if it was Woolies-related.

Can HMV buck the trend?

I do rate Simon Fox who runs HMV. They may see a bit of uplift with Woolies and Zavvi out of the picture, but I think they have far too many Waterstones stores. Buying up Ottakars was probably a huge mistake. Anything with a product range that can be digitised has got to ultimately be heading for disaster including Game, which is doing well at the moment. Music Zone, MVC and Fopp already gone, shame about Fopp was a good business, combination of getting a twit former MD of HMV in and buying Musiczone out of admin.

HOLA4420

Can HMV buck the trend?

Exactly - what a stupid name Zavvi. Why not retain the Virgin brand - after all many of their shops have Virgin mobile stores inside.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Did anyone?

Or is it simply the case that all the 50% off stuff was whipped off the shelves like lightning before any of us got to the stores?