House Price Crash Forum

Waste Not Want Not...

HOLA441

Not that he'd criticise or fine the real culprits of waste - the major supermarkets, who waste 40% of produce before it's even displayed and another 20% before its actually sold....Why oh why are these ridiculous news stories never directed on the real cause of the problems? Tons of tomatoes chucked 'cos they're not red or round enough, not the right size/weight to darken the shelves of Tesco. Yep if we guilty consumers all waste less and save that £8 a week we'll avoid the 'nasty' results of the record breaking recession that's on the way. Hopefully Gordo will choke on his sushi this evening whilst ensuring there's no waste at the banquet held in his honour... Rant over... <_<

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Just like the useless media don't report the real reason why biofuels are bonkers. Not that it drives up the price of food, athough it does, but because it takes more than a gallon of oil to produce a gallon of biofuel. So why does it get produced? Ans. because the government pays our tax money to make it profitable. As usual the government are the problem - not the solution, and their friends in the media let them get away with it.

HOLA446

So basically what Brown is saying to the public is "Stop wasting your food, work harder, and if you're sick stop clogging up our shiny new PFI hospitals...... and dont even think about asking for a payrise! They're for MPs only!"

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Consumerism is based on waste, so what is he suggesting, an end to consumerism? I don't think the corporations that keep him in power will be too pleased.

precisely, take away the 'W' factor overnight and we'd also lose an extra million jobs in a heartbeat...less pickers, lorry drivers, shelf stackers, check out staff, security guards.....retailers would lay of how many, 500K?.... then there's the package designers, the carboard box manufacturers, the plastic bag manufacturers, the refuse collectors, oh and the tax revenues....

Edited by Converted Lurker

HOLA4410
Guest happy?
precisely, take away the 'W' factor overnight and we'd also lose an extra million jobs in a heartbeat...less pickers, lorry drivers, shelf stackers, check out staff, security guards.....retailers would lay of how many, 500K?.... then there's the package designers, the carboard box manufacturers, the plastic bag manufacturers, the refuse collectors, oh and the tax revenues....

Paradoxically, if people stopped wasting food there may be much lower incidence of obesity.

HOLA4411

I looked into the report, it's completely insane and the media haven't read it. The BBC just vomit up taglines like a bulimic pavlovian dog. :huh:

It measures the weight of waste,

" Most of the food we throw away (4.1 million tonnes or 61%) is avoidable and could have been eaten if it had

been managed better. Truly unavoidable food waste, like vegetable peelings, meat carcasses and teabags,

accounts for 1.3 million tonnes a year or 19% of the total, with the remainder being ‘possibly avoidable’ food

waste – items such as bread crusts that some people choose not to eat and potato skins which can be eaten

when food is prepared in certain ways but not in others. "

" 27% thrown away having been cooked or prepared in some way "

There is always waste when preparing cooking and eating food. And the elderly waste just as much if not more than the young'uns, so no old wives tales please.

"Contrary to accepted wisdom, older people waste as much avoidable food as younger people (1.2kg per

person per week); "

I imagine the media got confused as usual. We waste very little food, mainly potatoes and apples going off which weigh a lot.

The average person is one 50 liter wastebin per year, the catering industry waste masses more.

I honestly think the media has gone mad and the general public are the sane ones.

http://www.wrap.org.uk/track.rm?url=%2Fdoc...&from=21644

HOLA4412

Our great leader:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...07/g8.economics

Gordon Brown is like one of those giant supertankers that takes for ever to turn round. In the midst of a severe financial crisis caused by blind obeisance to market forces, the prime minister retains an almost messianic belief in the price mechanism to solve the world's problems.

Take oil. Whereas the right-of-centre politicians in Europe rail against the hedge funds for driving up the price of crude, Brown will have none of it. The answer is to break up the oil cartel Opec, abolish fuel subsidies and invest in long-term alternatives such as nuclear and wind.

Or food. Brown has a bit more of a collectivist bent here, urging the G8 to pony up the cash promised at Gleneagles three years ago, but believes the challenge for the summit is to get progress on a global trade deal, already deep into its seventh year.

The prime minister believes that times have changed since the 1970s and 80s when the west's leading developed countries favoured interventionist solutions to the world's problems. In Brown's mindset, there is no room for coordinated action to support the dollar, or for the US and Europe to flood in the commodity markets with crude from their strategic reserves in an attempt to best the speculators.

Apart from anything else, the prime minister seems to be suffering from short-term memory loss. It was only a few months ago that his government gave strong backing to the Bank of England when it joined the Federal Reserve, the European Central Bank and other central banks to provide liquidity to the creaking global financial system. With the threat of complete paralysis, a united show of strength was seen as vital — and what's more it did help to ease the pressure.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Anyone else think Brown's on a kamikaze run now? He knows he's screwed, so he's trying to twist the screw on the voters.

I supported Blair, but Brown is just starting to piss me off. Taxing the poorest, financing broken banks, and now telling us we all waste too f***ing much.

He's the biggest waster I can see.

HOLA4420

Its all getting very reminiscent of Thatchers hey day

when Edwina would come on and advise the elderly to avoid hypothermia by

putting on that extra wooly jumper ,wear a hat and carry a hot water bottle

He'll be advising us to "get on your bike " next

HOLA4421

Well, I made my (in)famous Dustbin Soup tonight, cleared out half the fridge in the process; one solitary carrot, some leftover noodles, a morsel of ham, two floppy sticks of celery, etc.

And very nice it was too, on a bl**dy freezing summer evening.

Do I get any Gordon-Brownie points?

HOLA4422

I have to admit that since frequenting this esteemed site, I have been switching to lower priced stuff and making an effort to only buy what we will eat. I used to be waste masses of food (well over 50%) but since reaquainting myself with old-school student frugality we have cut our food bill in half.

TFH

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Well I guess that means we won't be getting any pudding then?

How stupid does he look shouting about Britons wasting food to the rest of the G8, while bailing out a bank, losing documents left right and center messing up taxation and presiding over the stab capital.

It's embarrasing.