House Price Crash Forum

Black Monday?

HOLA441
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I wonder how many Black Monday threads there are in existence. well its one more now.

I think that FTSE will pick up tomorrow. Seems to be happening all the time at the moment - up one day down the next. plus its still meant to be good value, apparently :blink:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Huge amount of commercial paper to roll over this week.

And no money in the market to buy it.

Now i just read this...

http://trentland.com/strats/djia0907.pdf

Interesting. The 1987 chart is almost identical to the current one - looks about to go off a cliff, but as they say in the article, DON'T PANIC!!!

One thing I would add, though, is that when the DJIA closed on Friday, it held the largest backlog of unfilled sell orders since ... 1987. I guess those will hit on Monday, no?

HOLA446
Huge amount of commercial paper to roll over this week.

And no money in the market to buy it.

Now i just read this...

http://trentland.com/strats/djia0907.pdf

This is from Citigroup

Have you checked their exposure to credit derivatives? These guys have one hell of a VI!

Bit of a desperate plea for a rate cut!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

One of the main drivers of the FTSE has been big M&A deals.

They may soon be a thing of the past:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...09/cnrbs109.xml

RBS scrambles to refinance ABN bid
By Iain Dey, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 12:47am BST 09/09/2007
The global credit crunch is forcing the Royal Bank of Scotland-led consortium bidding for ABN Amro to scramble for new sources of finance to back the €71bn (£48bn) deal.
RBS, Santander and Fortis need to raise the money to finance their offer for the Dutch bank within the next three weeks - likely to be the most volatile period for global credit markets in recent history.
Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4410
Guest wrongmove
If the day has a "black" thread on here, then thats one hell of a buy signal :lol:

DOW and FTSE futures are both up on Friday's close, and IG Index are offering 4/1 on a drop in the FTSE on Monday.....

HOLA4411

I think that FTSE will pick up tomorrow. Seems to be happening all the time at the moment - up one day down the next. plus its still meant to be good value, apparently :blink:

yes, a dead cat bounce as buyer see the drop as an opportunity to come into the market..... but what "if" more unexpected bad news lands? will the cat be still bouncing???

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

well i think the FTSE will go up, down, up down next week but if you are looking for a sign look for 6% +/- in any direction and then wake me up but if you are thinking it's to the plus then please provide data as to when that has ever happend to the FTSE.

Why watch the FTSE when in 2001 it hit 3500 but that did nothing to house prices and if money is taken from the FTSE then guess where it could be spent !

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Couldn't agree more. Please let's not have everyone wetting themselves in excitement if we go down 1-2% on Monday.

Shares go up, shares go down.

It's a well recognised fact. :rolleyes:

true, but to correct justice, people will not be taking money out of shares and buying property this time around.....there are much safer alternatives !

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
One thing I would add, though, is that when the DJIA closed on Friday, it held the largest backlog of unfilled sell orders since ... 1987. I guess those will hit on Monday, no?

It was the largest backlog of 'black monday' threads since 2004 trying to be posted, that crashed the hpc servers.

:P

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4420
Black Tuesday, massive bounce on Monday predicted.

No Massive bounce today, large falls are in the offing today and this week that will pass the lows of the last plunge. Japanese Economy contracting, US heading for recession and financials globally probably about to expose their first victim of the credit crunch. Be prepared for a stellar attempt to manage the DOWS falls this week to prevent a complete global meltdown but I still believe the direction will be down.

This is an interesting read on how they manage the DOW in troubled times. http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article1771.html

HOLA4421
One of the main drivers of the FTSE has been big M&A deals.

They may soon be a thing of the past:

I disagree, I think in the financial sector M&A may be about to take off big time. :o

Not quite sure why Barclays want to honor a price at the peak though, but hey maybe this is why they are not very good with money! :rolleyes:

HOLA4422

I am desperate for some bad news in the UK. I have a lot of NZ dollars I need to transfer back to the UK and the NZ dollar has dropped about 15% to the pound in the last month! Why the fxxk is the pound so strong?

Surely a pound as strong as it is now cannot be a good thing overall?

HOLA4423

I read a piece on Black Monday (1987) yesterday that claimed the main factor for the crash of 22% was because of all the computer programs that were programmed to sell at certain prices, this then triggered a domino effect that eventually crashed the market. Nowadays, these computer programs have been built with a 'trip' switch so it shouldn't happen again?

Should it?

HOLA4424
I read a piece on Black Monday (1987) yesterday that claimed the main factor for the crash of 22% was because of all the computer programs that were programmed to sell at certain prices, this then triggered a domino effect that eventually crashed the market. Nowadays, these computer programs have been built with a 'trip' switch so it shouldn't happen again?

Should it?

I am don't think we will ever see much more than 5% fall on the DOW of FTSE in a session these days. The market is so sophisticated and well managed that even if it’s direction is down it will be so over weeks and months not days as seen in the 1987 crash. But as we everything the new level of sophistication may have an Achilles heal somewhere that has not been tested yet!

HOLA4425

FTSE 100 (FSI:^FTSE)

Index Value: 6,220.30

Trade Time: 8:04AM

Change: 29.10 (0.47%)

Prev Close: 6,313.30

Open: 6,191.20

Day's Range: 6,191.20 - 6,229.60

52wk Range: 5,774.50 - 6,754.10

With all those banks saying its the biggest crisis in 20 years the markets are faring okay. We may be in the contrarian stage that preceded the dot.com bust. Good news bad, bad news good.

However, tweedle dee (DOW) will determine the direction of tweedle dum (FTSE) so we may have to wait until the US open and I am not sure there is anything positive happening there at present. Hmm, might see a 300 point uptick then?

Asia not so good though:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...bcnjapan110.xml

Asian stock markets fall on US fears
By Richard "Dick" Blackden
Last Updated: 7:29am BST 10/09/2007
Stock markets in Asia fell heavily on Monday as traders and investors faced up to the prospect that US economic growth is likely to slow in the second half of the year.
Fed faces growing pressure for rate cut
Will Japan be next to feel the US crisis fallout?
In Tokyo, the Nikkei 225 Index was down more than 2pc while equities in Australia, Hong Kong and India were also out of favour as investors took the chance to buy safer assets such as government bonds.
Edited by Realistbear