House Price Crash Forum

Aberdeen, Aspc Stats

HOLA441

Yes rentals certainly dont stack up to a good yield just now in Aberdeen. Most properties have both rental and sale prices on ASPC.

but looked at a 2 bed flat in Aberdeen.. council tax band E .. my god .. the council must be awash with money if a pokey 2 bed flat probably about 40m2 is band E!

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
4 hours ago, cashinmattress said:

The report shows the average rent for a 2bh in Aberdeen to be £726. I think in the current climate a decent 2 bed flat in the city centre is £650 and falling every month.

What skews this though is the the City Council is willing to pay north of £700 to rent a 2 bed flat which artificially helps the landlords!

HOLA443

Exactly Shortbread..

I would agree 2 bed - £650 or even less .. statistics might be skewed by rental price of properties being listed vs property prices reduced to rent.

The council itself is propping up the market with council tax payers money.

Complete joke.. Is there no-one we can write to at the Council to make them aware of their folly and frivolousness?

HOLA444
8 hours ago, delboypass said:

Exactly Shortbread..

I would agree 2 bed - £650 or even less .. statistics might be skewed by rental price of properties being listed vs property prices reduced to rent.

True.... the advertised rental prices nowadays in Aberdeen are like a used car dealers forecourt. It's been priced leaving enough room to haggle later. Literally every landlord or letting agency are willing to take a chunk of the advertised cost as soon as negotiations start. I think this will be the style of business going forward.

The council itself is propping up the market with council tax payers money.

Complete joke.. Is there no-one we can write to at the Council to make them aware of their folly and frivolousness?

It's either incompetency or vested interests intentionally propping up the market. It will be interesting to find out how many properties the Aberdeen City Council rent in order to fulfill their 'Housing commitments'?!

Had this been an efficient organisation such a finding and the resulting cost cuts would have led to a promotion of some sort. The ACC on the other hand might brush this under the carpet and ask not to be bothered about it!

HOLA445
HOLA446

As a direct result of reading this thread, I have decided to visit Aberdeen on my recent trip to Scotland.  Not impressed to be honest.  Everything except for the main shopping centre looked very grey and empty. Some nice university buildings (also grey), but can't see myself coming back again. Guess the prices are driven mainly by oil, can't see much else going for it.

HOLA447
On 11/1/2016 at 6:27 AM, shortbread said:

It's either incompetency or vested interests intentionally propping up the market. It will be interesting to find out how many properties the Aberdeen City Council rent in order to fulfill their 'Housing commitments'?!

Had this been an efficient organisation such a finding and the resulting cost cuts would have led to a promotion of some sort. The ACC on the other hand might brush this under the carpet and ask not to be bothered about it!

You can see what each councillor has reported on their register of interests here

http://committees.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/Committees.aspx?councillors=1

HOLA448

Local shed builder 'sheds' jobs.

https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/123219/oil-gas-downturn-blamed-stewart-milne-job-losses/

Stewart Milne Group (SMG) has blamed the oil and gas downturn for the loss of 33 north-east construction jobs. The north-east builder only confirmed the redundancies yesterday, although the positions were axed during the third quarter of 2016.

But no shortage of money somehow?

http://www.scottishhousingnews.com/12185/aberdeen-city-council-launches-feasibility-study-on-2000-new-houses/

Aberdeen City Council has agreed to take forward a feasibility study to build 2,000 new council houses in the city by 2022.

Psst. Hey Jenny.... there's thousands sitting empty and the population is shrinking. Drop the HB as noted and get real.

Victims of oil price and M&A activity... and profit over staff...chapter 11 weaseling out of obligation. What a world we live in!

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/angus-mearns/307535/ge-oil-gas-workers-montrose-risk-redundancy/

It is understood less than 50 of the 400 staff employed at GE Oil and Gas are involved in the consultation although it is not known how many of them will be made redundant.

https://www.ft.com/content/e1168d52-9c53-11e6-a6e4-8b8e77dd083a

Amec Foster Wheeler expects further decline in oil and gas Shares drop 20% as new chief postpones outline of turnround plan

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/105-Oil-Gas-Bankruptcies-But-Production-Isnt-Shrinking.html

105 Oil & Gas Bankruptcies: But Production Isn’t Shrinking

Many of them are using Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection filings to restructure debts and slash costs, while keeping production levels almost unchanged.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/business/14837010.Shell_profits_from_North_Sea_job_cuts/

Shell profits from North Sea job cuts

ROYAL Dutch Shell’s finance chief, Simon Henry, has hailed a big improvement in its performance in the North Sea which he noted had followed 1000 job losses in Aberdeen but said the firm could not rule out further cuts in staff numbers.

HOLA449

So if one wanted to buy a home from the Aberdeen City council-Cala homes alliance's affordable housing scheme, one should already be living in a council funded ghetto!!

I mean no offence but any middle income family that can afford to live outside a council estate will do so. Why would anyone what to experience the 'perks' of a council building if they afford not to.

But why does that mean they are not eligible for the scheme, irrespective of the fact whether its a good deal or not?! Any permanent Aberdeen resident who rents a flat is because he could not afford to buy an 'affordable house'. 

This stipulation is ludicrous since why would a person benefiting form the Council's largesse and living in one of their accommodations while having their lives funded by the taxpayer chose to do otherwise, let alone cough up the cash required to get a mortgage!! 

This is a bloody scam!

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.asp?lID=73334&sID=17201

HOLA4410

As we've been hearing for so long. Is still alive and well. The expected return of the Boom...

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/north-of-scotland/1072942/ryden-says-new-aberdeen-offices-will-be-in-demand/

Aberdeen’s office market is suffering a timing mismatch as high quality new space becomes available in advance of an expected pick-up in the oil and gas industry, a property expert said yesterday. Bill Duguid, the Granite City-based managing partner at Ryden

HOLA4411
3 hours ago, sfr said:

As we've been hearing for so long. Is still alive and well. The expected return of the Boom...

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/north-of-scotland/1072942/ryden-says-new-aberdeen-offices-will-be-in-demand/

Aberdeen’s office market is suffering a timing mismatch as high quality new space becomes available in advance of an expected pick-up in the oil and gas industry, a property expert said yesterday. Bill Duguid, the Granite City-based managing partner at Ryden

So he says office space uptake is up by 47% in the last 6 months, generally smaller lets? So does that mean there are another 47% of buildings not on the report that these people have vacated and are now lying empty?

Round at a pals halloween do on Saturday.

Young couple both 24 looking to buy.

Another young guy 26 bought 2 years ago.

They were not happy at my analysis!

The young couple have been looking for a grand total of a year.... really? Neither are in dire needs to move out.

I said we are due a mass realisation that the market is fecked at the mo. To wait before they buy.

But was met with venom quite honestly! House prices can't go much lower they cried. Obviously not been looking at the prices going down every month then??! 

And approaching winter too, property slow down time, seriously!? And you want to jump in now right before the SHTF?  

People are bonkers.

HOLA4412
On Wednesday, November 02, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Bear Hug said:

As a direct result of reading this thread, I have decided to visit Aberdeen on my recent trip to Scotland.  Not impressed to be honest.  Everything except for the main shopping centre looked very grey and empty. Some nice university buildings (also grey), but can't see myself coming back again. Guess the prices are driven mainly by oil, can't see much else going for it.

As an Aberdonian I think that is a fair assessment.

I do quite like Royal Deeside in the Shire. Perhaps one of Aberdeens only redeeming features s that we are not far from nice green areas.

Gordon Highlander museum is worth a shout too.

Apart from that, I think my home town is shite and full of w4nkers, me included.

HOLA4413
7 hours ago, babo456 said:

I do quite like Royal Deeside in the Shire. Perhaps one of Aberdeens only redeeming features s that we are not far from nice green areas.

Apart from that, I think my home town is shite and full of w4nkers, me included.

The beech is nice from what I remember & the fish and chips.

The only other thing I remember is greyness and sheep.

HOLA4414

I'm a bit of a fan of the development of Chapeton, apart from it being on an exposed windy site not far from the coast. The original plan was to build a village of around 10,000 houses but to date only a fraction of that total have been finished. I received an email today saying that one I was watching on the ASPC website is now under offer:

"Address: Plot 9, 133 Greenlaw Road, Chapelton, AB39 3AB

This 4 bedroom detached house of 1765 sqft (164m2) is currently under construction by ZeroC at Chapelton, a new town being created 10 minutes south of Aberdeen, next to Newtonhill. Entry is expected June 2015."

In other words it's taken 16 months post-completion to get an offer. I can't see much further building if that's representative of the selling timescale.  A pity in a way as the development is much more attractive and imaginative than your standard row of Stewarty Milne executive pig pens.

HOLA4415
11 hours ago, babo456 said:

Totally agree with this and my wife would certainly agree that I'm a total w4nker.

I went in town recently for the first time in months (to get some M&S boxers - my old ones were a friggin disgrace). I was quite shocked at how drab and depressing Union Street is looking nowadays.

The old Bruce Miller shop still stands empty in an area that used to be a prime Union Street location with plenty of non-betting shop/charity shop action. It does make you wonder about what the future holds in the post-oil era :wacko:

HOLA4416
12 hours ago, babo456 said:

Just about all of the countryside outwith Aberdeen City is desirable, provided you are independently wealthy... with Deeside near the top. Same with most of Scotland.

Future of Aberdeen City/Shire isn't looking great however.

Long term outlook.. Aberdeen/s geographic location will be a millstone. It was perfect for the oil boom, not for any other industry... perhaps prisons or waste disposal?

This inept council is in process of running up massive debts and will eventually bust. Give it time.

Sadly, a lot of Scotland and the UK will be up for sale in time. Individuals and the state spending way over our means... which can only end badly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-37847671

http://www.scotsman.com/news/dane-set-to-become-scotland-s-biggest-landowner-1-4273535

Edited by cashinmattress

HOLA4417
13 hours ago, babo456 said:

So he says office space uptake is up by 47% in the last 6 months, generally smaller lets? So does that mean there are another 47% of buildings not on the report that these people have vacated and are now lying empty?

Round at a pals halloween do on Saturday.

The young couple have been looking for a grand total of a year.... really? Neither are in dire needs to move out.

I said we are due a mass realisation that the market is fecked at the mo. To wait before they buy.

But was met with venom quite honestly! House prices can't go much lower they cried. Obviously not been looking at the prices going down every month then??! 

And approaching winter too, property slow down time, seriously!? And you want to jump in now right before the SHTF?  

People are bonkers.

I've given up discussing it with other people as they simply look at you like you're a depressive idit and say "it'll come back". Mind you one local businessman who told me a couple of years ago not to worry as 'oil will still be here in 50 years' recently changed his tune to 'it's finished, Aberdeen's finished. 

If you start with the premise that the majority of people are feckin idiots it all makes a bit more sense. I fully accept I could be completely wrong but I don't think so, only time will tell.

HOLA4418
15 minutes ago, Oily said:

I fully accept I could be completely wrong but I don't think so, only time will tell.

Oil price can (and will ) stay a low a lot longer than Aberdeen and it's hopeful O&G employed residents remain solvent.

So... you're not wrong. Just more informed and breaking the mould as it were.

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, Oily said:

I've given up discussing it with other people as they simply look at you like you're a depressive idit and say "it'll come back". Mind you one local businessman who told me a couple of years ago not to worry as 'oil will still be here in 50 years' recently changed his tune to 'it's finished, Aberdeen's finished. 

If you start with the premise that the majority of people are feckin idiots it all makes a bit more sense. I fully accept I could be completely wrong but I don't think so, only time will tell.

15 hours ago, babo456 said:

People are bonkers.

I get the same reaction. Other evening with friends many of whom owning property advised this is the right time to buy. I had a couple by then, so I laugh and say you're kidding right, its all about to crash and you want me to board the sinking ship now!

Ooohhh....it wasn't nice after that. Soon a few days later, plenty of them send links on common wattsap groups about OPEC deals, oil price rises and oil going above $50, general local press nonsense about recovery...etc......well for the past couple of days its gone quiet again.

I wonder how long will it take for the sentiment to change? Or maybe it never will, it is so difficult for people to accept their house value is falling, so so difficult.

HOLA4420

All this belief that other market participants have got it wrong, are victims/innocents (etc) has gone on and on an on for years, during 50% more HPI mad-gainz.

It's a market.  Individuals make their own market decisions.

HOLA4421

Exciting news......

0101291.jpg

Grandhome is a proposed new community in the Bridge of Don, Aberdeen that aims to set new standards for development in Scotland. Over the long term, Grandhome will include:

- Up to 7,000 houses, located within a network of walkable neighbourhoods
- Retail centres in each neighbourhood, likely to include shops, small offices and community buildings
- A business park
- Up to three primary schools and one secondary school, and associated recreational facilities
- A health centre
- A network of parks and green spaces for recreational use, including natural woodlands, formal parks, neighbourhood squares and sports pitches
- A vibrant high street with shops, cafes and restaurants, intended to support the wider Bridge of Don area.

http://grandhome.co.uk/

This is no joke as the first phase has actually started. 

Grandhome’s first phase will include around 600 homes along with parks, some retail and community space, together forming part of the settlement’s first neighbourhood. A project  has been given a multi-million pound loan boost. The Scottish Government has pledged £7.9 million to the scheme in Grandhome.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/7-9m-government-loan-boost-for-scheme-to-build-600-homes-in-city/

I think the foresight shown by the Scottish government to encourage the housing industry keeping in line with Aberdeen's burgeoning population and rapidly growing economy is worth a standing ovation. This city desperately needs more fancy townships!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Savills giving their interpretation of the market. Brexit and oil blamed for weakness.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/scotland-business/1076609/brexit-and-north-east-downturn-hurting-scottish-house-prices/

Scottish house prices will fall next year due to Brexit uncertainty and as the market continues to be held back by the north-east economic downturn, a report says.

Property firm Savills expects average prices to rise by 9% north of the border over the next five years, compared with 13% across the UK as a whole.

A year-by-year breakdown shows prices falling by 2.5% and rising by just 1.5% in 2017 and 2018 respectively.

HOLA4425