House Price Crash Forum

Kirstie And Phil: Where Best To Invest

HOLA441

I've emailed them too. Got a bounce back saying it can take up to four weeks for a response.

Well, the clock is now ticking and I'll be chinning them for a response in 4 weeks time.

NDL

I emailed about an earlier ramping programms they did, The 10 Best and Worst places to live, or something. The finished each slot by saying "blah, blah blah....prices to rise by 50% in 5 years."

I emailed a complaint about this pointless and needless talking up of prices. Needless to say they wrote back telling me it was all a bit of harmless fun that was in no way intended as a serious predictor of property prices.

They will do the same this time, but I look forward to reading their response if you care to post it.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

In fairness to the programme (let's not forget it's CH4 not Bloomberg) it was better than I'd think it would be.

I didn't expect them to point out areas which had fallen in value and admit the oversupply of flats.

They made claims of 30-40% increases in certain areas over a 10yr period - that's doesn't seem too exaggerated given you can get a better rate from the banks (gearing issue aside).

Edited by godsakes

HOLA444

I emailed them too, it will probably do **** all but I enjoyed writing it :) :

Dear Channel4,

I would like to make a complaint about your programme "Kirstie and Phil: Where Best to Invest" Tues 25 April 2006.

I cannot believe the extent to which Channel4 seems to be ramping the property market via the comical and dubious, 'professional' advice of Kirstie and Phil.

Vague assertions without factual basis are waved about as some sort of enticement for the gullible to jump into property investment. Any intelligent person would consider their advice a joke and switch over. I'm more concerned about less questioning people; who on the encouragement of these so called professionals, throw borrowed money into a dying market and get stung, along with the ordinary home owner and in particular first time buyers.

Channel4, through such programs seem set on perpetuating the myth that house price rises are good for the nation. I'm sure I don't need to patronise you with the following explanation, but I will for clarity:-

To the average home owner (with one house), increases in equity cannot be realised as they cannot "cash in", unless they withdraw equity which is to increase the size of their mortgage(debt), but that is a whole different story. Price rises only make climbing the ladder more expensive in fees, tax and the extra money that needs to be borrowed to make the next leap up despite record equity gains, it's all relative.

The point is, the only people to benefit are the mortgage lenders and established owners of multiple properties i.e. property investors and developers, who can cash in by selling part or all of their portfolio and realise the gains in the market. It seems blindingly obvious that these are the people that Phil and Kirsty represent.

To me Channel4 are silently complying with these commercial interests at the expense of the general public, who have to compete in this speculative bubble. I doubt if professional property investors or developers (the strong holders currently with huge profits) will be nursing large negative equity come the next down turn in property prices. The program almost seems to be an invitation to your own personal debt crisis and obscenely provides an opportunity for the true professionals to exit the market.

I have to question the motives of such a program, if Phil and Kirsty were financial players in any other market it would be seen as ramping and no doubt the Financial Services Authority would be investigating them.

I'm not impressed by the program in fact quite concerned at the long term situation such foolhardy advice will precipitate.

Please ditch this rubbish along with the associated home improvement programs that grow like fungus throughout the television schedules. These programs only serve to isolate and exclude the large body of young adult viewers to which property owning is a serious financial risk or for many a fantasy.

It detracts from the other excellent programs on Channel4 which I applaud: I am a great fan of the Channel4 News and comedy programs such as Green Wing which are truly the level of programming I've come to expect and enjoy.

Yours faithfully,

EDIT: Oh and I've copied the complaint to Ofcom as property ramping.

Edited by Foobar

HOLA445
HOLA446

OMG I nearly puked watching that, I get really wound up about these types of things lately, in the last few weeks I have decided to be very outspoken about the housing market, here is an excerpt of the e-mail I sent to Channel 4 about this:

"Southampton came in at number 5, here are the stats for the average house price in Southampton as on the BBC website from Land Registry figures:

.................... Last Quarter ....... Annual

Detached ......... -14.8% .......-5.5%

Flat ................ -2.7% ......... -0.5%

Semi ............... 2% ......... -0.4%

Terraced ......... 2.9% ......... 0.2%

Overall ......... -0.9% ......... 0.1%

You can see that buying a house in Southampton in the last year would not have been a good investment, even more so if you take inflation into account, I know your legal team looked at the program before it was aired etc etc but it is these types of program which causes the general public to become more and more deluded."

My mother said to me today "why don't you buy a house you would be better off etc etc", I explained how the media may have influenced why she may think that,

she said "but I don't read newspapers",

I said "so where do you get your opinions from then"

she said "your father"

I said "and where does he get his opinions from"

she said "the newspapers"

I said "Exactly my point" and explained to her what sheeple are :D

HOLA447

OMG I nearly puked watching that, I get really wound up about these types of things lately, in the last few weeks I have decided to be very outspoken about the housing market, here is an excerpt of the e-mail I sent to Channel 4 about this:

"Southampton came in at number 5, here are the stats for the average house price in Southampton as on the BBC website from Land Registry figures:

.................... Last Quarter ....... Annual

Detached ......... -14.8% .......-5.5%

Flat ................ -2.7% ......... -0.5%

Semi ............... 2% ......... -0.4%

Terraced ......... 2.9% ......... 0.2%

Overall ......... -0.9% ......... 0.1%

You can see that buying a house in Southampton in the last year would not have been a good investment, even more so if you take inflation into account, I know your legal team looked at the program before it was aired etc etc but it is these types of program which causes the general public to become more and more deluded."

My mother said to me today "why don't you buy a house you would be better off etc etc", I explained how the media may have influenced why she may think that,

she said "but I don't read newspapers",

I said "so where do you get your opinions from then"

she said "your father"

I said "and where does he get his opinions from"

she said "the newspapers"

I said "Exactly my point" and explained to her what sheeple are :D

Copy that in to Ofcom, they have to do something if they get loads of complaints...don't they? :huh:

It gave me a sad sense of satisfaction. :P

HOLA448

Copy that in to Ofcom, they have to do something if they get loads of complaints...don't they? :huh:

It gave me a sad sense of satisfaction. :P

I just complained to OFCOM too, I'm in that sort of mood today, luckily I'm off work this week so have a bit more time on my hands.

I have been reading their broadcasting code of conduct and it mentions about due impartiality, come on people what are you waiting for :)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

£378k average house price in Oxford within 5 years......

.... would require local earnings to rise by around 40% a year to be sustainable....

.... with inflation potencially running at around 40% to support this increase in the nominal volume of currency.....

........ base rates of interest would then rise to over 50%.....

....... and your £2500 a month mortgage would become£16,000 a month......

Sound inplausible, but just goes to show how crazy all the number look once you put proposed massive increase in property prices in the context of the economic environment they would need to exist in in order to happen.

More to the point, most parts of of Oxford are a dump and those that are not (Summertown) are already grossly overpriced (I know, lived there) and Oxford will crash like the rest.

HOLA4412

It was interesting that almost every hotspot they chose (I think) was a university loaction. They did not mention the impact of possible reductions in student numbers, or more likely, students chosing to go to uni near to home.

However, I don't think you can compalin about P&K as they did say "may", "mght" "could" which also means may not, might not and could not.

HOLA4413

£378k average house price in Oxford within 5 years......

I think that this was the biggest joke

Oxford - the number 1 property hotspot

Halifax reported that prices in Oxford fell 9% in 2005 - beaten only by Somereset where prices fell 10%!!!!!

If average London prices are below £300K then just what exactly is going to push Oxford prices 25% higher than London prices in just 5 years????

Edited by munimula

HOLA4414

I think that this was the biggest joke

Oxford - the number 1 property hotspot

Halifax reported that prices in Oxford fell 9% in 2005 - beaten only by Somereset where prices fell 9%!!!!!

If average London prices are below £300K then just what exactly is going to push Oxford prices 25% higher than London prices in just 5 years????

Indeed, completely bizzare.

Just a thought, if one incvests in Oxford and fails to make the suggested profit, could one sue Channel 4?

HOLA4415

More to the point, most parts of of Oxford are a dump and those that are not (Summertown) are already grossly overpriced (I know, lived there) and Oxford will crash like the rest.

I actually had a bet with my nan after the programme as she was taken in by it all.

£100 that property prices would be lower in Oxford in 5 years time. I would have bet more but wouldn't want to take anymore from her.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest Baffled_by_it_all

For most of the programme I just felt slightly queasy but certain part of it really gave me the creeps. Particularly if people are gullible enough out there to believe it.

Phil - We're a small island with an increasing population so property can only go up!

Kirsty - You only need you rent to cover your mortgage payment. [Ok, so no allowance for major maintenance or voids then]

Phil - I'm getting into property for the long term, it's for my kids' future.

HOLA4418

Television shows on "how to be an e-millionaire"? Does anyone remember any of these and can they tell us some details?

Billy Shears

meanmachine

EverSoRegular MoneySaver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by libitina

I posted a link to this thread on HPC and a member there asks

http://www.ukgameshows.com/index.ph...illionaire_Show

schoolsforschools.com was one of the winners.

And, yes, it's now defunct.

And like the new tech bubble, these dotcom shows didn't last long. Show Me the Money was another bandwagon jumper.

http://www.ukgameshows.com/index.php/Show_me_the_Money

The bloke in the street can't get their 'eads round stuff like shares, can they? Not like good old bricks and mortar.

Edited by libitina

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Found them, the elusive "independent" experts. Suppliers of fiction to Kirstie n Phil.

www.propertyforecasts.co.uk

As listed on the Channel 4 site..

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/where_..._suppliers.html

Start by searching for the free short-term forecast for your area in the box on the left. You can then opt to buy the full 3-5 year forecast for just £15!

Everyone join an orderly queue please

HOLA4421

"2 Cambridge

Students and commuters have led to a booming rental market"

"1 Oxford

Wealthy students, families and young professionals: a perfect mix"

I was under the impression most students lived in the colleges.. thats what they're there for? And are students really wealthy at oxford and not anywhere else?

Well it must be true. im off to get my lombard direct unsecured 100K personal loan for the deposit now to buy a gazillion flats in oxford for the new graduate intake in september. Got to rush everyone in the country will be doing it after last night tv!! :D

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I was under the impression most students lived in the colleges.. thats what they're there for? And are students really wealthy at oxford and not anywhere else?

Since Oxford rents were higher than everywhere else apart from London, we students felt relatively poor.

The problem was that the colleges kept expanding faster than their housing stock, so there was always huge student demand for private rentals. Of nine (9!) years I spent there, as undergrad thru to postdoc, I had only two years in college accommodation.

HOLA4424

Found them, the elusive "independent" experts. Suppliers of fiction to Kirstie n Phil.

Start by searching for the free short-term forecast for your area in the box on the left. You can then opt to buy the full 3-5 year forecast for just £15!

Great Find!!!!

I did a test on my area

Free_report.png

What I find LAUGHABLE :lol::lol:

Is the dotted line is of hard (FACT) LR Data. It quite clearly is TANKING and they say it will continue to rise!!!!

W@NKERS!!!!! :lol:

I could pay £15 to get a five year forcast but somehow I think I will give it a miss.

Book mark this site everyone and when it goes tits up see what their predictions are then? Should be fun!!! (Thats if its still around)

http://www.propertyforecasts.co.uk/

TB

post-2719-1146073533.png

Edited by teddyboy

HOLA4425

Well now this is interesting.

There is no Scottish data on this site at all as far as I can see. So how then were they able to provide predictions on Glasgow and Edinburgh?

This is very fishy.

NDL