House Price Crash Forum

Something going wrong... alarming signs of economic stress today

HOLA441
16 hours ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

Germans made really good cars until the lat 90s.

Those BMWs are very good cars.

Not like the cheap, tacky money pits they make today and charge a premium for.

Mercedes & BMW have been taking advantage of their brand awareness for well over 10 years now.

They are no better than a standard Korean or even Chinese made cars today.

I have a high end 3 series touring. It’s very well made. Has 370bhp yet I can get 45 mpg out of it. It does everything brilliantly.  it is most definitely much better to the Kia and other options i test drove. Both to drive, own.  Costs more, but but the competition cannot get close. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
1 minute ago, Johnno1167 said:

I have a high end 3 series touring. It’s very well made. Has 370bhp yet I can get 45 mpg out of it. It does everything brilliantly.  it is most definitely much better to the Kia and other options i test drove. Both to drive, own.  Costs more, but but the competition cannot get close. 

Whilst I have not driven a modern BMW I don't doubt that they are most likely fun to drive.

But build quality and reliability is a different matter.

If money is not an issue they probably make a lot of sense.

For cheap motoring they are not to be considered under any circumstances.

HOLA443
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Is that a fairly normal price for 1 person in Northants these days? Was it a more posh restaurant than average?

I ask because I used to live in Northampton.  I remember taking out the 4 of us (wife, 2 kids) to eat out at a restaurant for around £25 to £30 around 2012 to 2015 or so.  Talking about pub meals here, including soft drinks.  I spoke with a friend who lives on the outskirts of Cambridge.  He told me if he took his family of 4 out (wife, one teenage child, one 10 year old) these days, it would cost around £100 at a regular, non-posh chain restaurant.  It blew my mind. It surely can't be that expensive.  I imagine around £50 to feed a family of 4 at say...Nandos, right?

It was called Prezzo. Never heard of them before, but they're a chain selling Italian (couldn't complain either - it was pretty good). A few young couples on obvious first dates were sat on adjacent tables. I remember thinking their bill would probably be around £100. Mine was £39 and I was being conservative (I normally think nothing of a starter and a few drinks - this time I skipped the started and had one drink). 

EDIT: Went to 'Spoons on Sunday afternoon, and got a steak & kidney pudding with mash, peas, and gravy, and a soft drink, for £8.50 🤣

Edited by Orb

HOLA444
15 hours ago, 14stFlyer said:

At least he has not had to pay stamp duty on each purchase !

There is that, although a good few years older than me he's never been able to keep hold of anything he earns, it all goes on shiny objects, personally I think he's a deeply unhappy individual. I guess if he had to pad something akin to SD it may have mitigated the madness.

15 hours ago, DownwardSlopingPlateau said:

Ah, the old chain smoker who gets rid once the ashtrays are full.. 🚭

Na, he can't stop spending money, emotionally very immature despite being older than me, like a lot in my circle he's spent the last 20 years mew'ing his house to death to buy cars for him and horses and stabling for her.

He currently has a £300k mortgage on a house he paid £240k for in 2005, that's currently valued at £400k, plus personal loans, a wife that's never worked, two adult kids and a job in construction, the mind boggles...........

#clusterfuk

HOLA445
45 minutes ago, Orb said:

It was called Prezzo. Never heard of them before, but they're a chain selling Italian (couldn't complain either - it was pretty good). A few young couples on obvious first dates were sat on adjacent tables. I remember thinking their bill would probably be around £100. Mine was £39 and I was being conservative (I normally think nothing of a starter and a few drinks - this time I skipped the started and had one drink). 

EDIT: Went to 'Spoons on Sunday afternoon, and got a steak & kidney pudding with mash, peas, and gravy, and a soft drink, for £8.50 🤣

lol. Prezzo has been around for like decades and serves better than average italian food and wide. Not comparable to bottom tier like spoons food.

HOLA446
4 minutes ago, Lagarde's Drift said:

lol. Prezzo has been around for like decades and serves better than average italian food and wide. Not comparable to bottom tier like spoons food.

Never heard of them til last Saturday. And my steak and kidney pudding was equally as delicious to me. So I'll be using 'spoons a lot more from now. Pint of Sea Fury ale £2.50 too! 

HOLA447
1 hour ago, burk said:

He currently has a £300k mortgage on a house he paid £240k for in 2005, that's currently valued at £400k, plus personal loans, a wife that's never worked, two adult kids and a job in construction, the mind boggles...........

#clusterfuk

What's his retirement plan, and when ?

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I do some work in the wedding sector so it will be interesting to see how the bookings do from here (still very strong for 2024). That said, it does seem to be a bizarre anomaly due to the bridezilla/groomzilla effect.

The sheer extravagance shelled out for the 'special day' sometimes never ceases to amaze me. Maybe it's because I'm a tight arse but spending 5 figures on a day then lost in history on generally ungrateful people who will just pi$$ and sh1t it all out the next day is beyond me.

HOLA4411
3 hours ago, Blobsy said:

The sheer extravagance shelled out for the 'special day' sometimes never ceases to amaze me. Maybe it's because I'm a tight arse but spending 5 figures on a day then lost in history on generally ungrateful people who will just pi$$ and sh1t it all out the next day is beyond me.

Many, many weddings are 6 figures.  We felt quite smug keeping ours to 5!

The thing is it doesn't need to be EXTRAVAGENT to be fun, but equally even being fairly modest the hire of a big room all day plus food plus a registrar plus a DJ etc etc it all adds up.  But when all is said and done I don't think it's a waste of money to spend 5 figures on a wedding.  You'd spend 5 figures on a holiday, and many are far less memorable than your wedding.

HOLA4412
31 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

The thing is it doesn't need to be EXTRAVAGENT to be fun, but equally even being fairly modest the hire of a big room all day plus food plus a registrar plus a DJ etc etc it all adds up.  But when all is said and done I don't think it's a waste of money to spend 5 figures on a wedding.  You'd spend 5 figures on a holiday, and many are far less memorable than your wedding.

I'm not complaining if they want to spend! I earn more playing weddings these days than as a session player playing for a band that headlines festivals. YES, you read that right! 😂

HOLA4413
On 03/05/2024 at 16:54, Sackboii said:

What's his retirement plan, and when ?

Fuq knows, he was proudly boasting about what a 'real' mortgage was to my mum when I'd said I had no interest in having one. Turns out his mortgage was around £1700 a month and that was over a couple of years ago before interest rates went up.

He won't have that paid off apparently until he's 74! But apparently I'm the moron for living in my van on perpetual holiday with no debt and money invested that pays me to do whatever I want.

#crazyworld.

HOLA4414
21 hours ago, scottbeard said:

5 figures is a large range. Bloke on my team, will be on £37k and wife is a nurse, no idea what she’s on, spent £29k. That’s a many memorable holidays…. Or a year off work! I can’t get my head around it but each to their own.  Vegas is the only way to do it, I couldn’t bring myself to spend that just to get other people dinner and a few drinks. lol

HOLA4415
On 5/3/2024 at 6:41 PM, Blobsy said:

spending 5 figures on a day then lost in history on generally ungrateful people who will just pi$$ and sh1t it all out the next day is beyond me.

Ahh. A true romantic 😊

HOLA4416

We did for 3 figures , £200 to be precise.

Me and best man did the bbq under fishing brolly, it rained and we had an old tarp we rigged up in the garden for peeps to stand under. Bar was in the garage managed by a mate. I made a mini bar out of T&G wood , The Fizz Bar , 10 yr old nephew was in charge of that .

35 peeps outside, 35 inside ( the seniors).

31 yrs ago this year.

Everyone I invited still says to this day it was best wedding they've been to. Why people need to spend vast sums on such a day is beyond me , each to their own tho .

If i had to do it again I wouldn't change a thing.

D

HOLA4417
Just now, Dames said:

In everything in life, that is the perfect philosophy. ✓✓

No regrets.

Everything you did, you did for a very valid reason at the time 

👍 

HOLA4418
3 minutes ago, Stewy said:

In everything in life, that is the perfect philosophy. ✓✓

No regrets.

Everything you did, you did for a very valid reason at the time 

👍

On this we agree .

D

HOLA4419
18 minutes ago, Dames said:

We did for 3 figures , £200 to be precise.

Me and best man did the bbq under fishing brolly, it rained and we had an old tarp we rigged up in the garden for peeps to stand under. Bar was in the garage managed by a mate. I made a mini bar out of T&G wood , The Fizz Bar , 10 yr old nephew was in charge of that .

35 peeps outside, 35 inside ( the seniors).

31 yrs ago this year.

Everyone I invited still says to this day it was best wedding they've been to. Why people need to spend vast sums on such a day is beyond me , each to their own tho .

D

Ha! Brilliant

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
49 minutes ago, Dames said:

Everyone I invited still says to this day it was best wedding they've been to.

Sounds like a fun day - but with respect, no one is going to say to your face “yours was the worst wedding I ever went to” no matter what they actually think!

HOLA4422
Just now, scottbeard said:

Sounds like a fun day - but with respect, no one is going to say to your face “yours was the worst wedding I ever went to” no matter what they actually think!

I think I'd like to take people at their word , but thats just me.

And yes , it was a fun day.

D

HOLA4423
2 minutes ago, Dames said:

I think I'd like to take people at their word

In that case I have a £1,000 cash prize waiting for you!  Just click on this link and enter your bank details and telephone banking PIN to collect it! 😉

more seriously, I don’t really know how much my friends spent on their weddings: I’m not sure how you all find out.  I think ours cost about £7k and we enjoyed it.  If you enjoyed yours that’s all that matters whether it cost £200 or £200k

HOLA4424
19 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Mine would be the worst wedding, because I wouldn't want to be there! 

HOLA4425
On 01/05/2024 at 19:38, Stewy said:

It is however blooming in the northeast. Work car park absolutely heaving with hundreds of shiny new cars. Steak restaurant doing great trade. Big queue at the vitaminD emporium too (Indigo Sun). 🌱 

huge value of minimum wage vs local house prices.  £11.44 is like a good wage in the South East late 90's / Early 2000's when houses were still under £100k.