House Price Crash Forum

Victory for landlords as no-fault evictions ban will not go through without full court review

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

TLDR.    basically Gove promised Laura K earlier this year that it (no fault evictions would be banned) in this parliament.    

now that will officially no longer be the case.

It seems that the Conservative party is embarked on a bizarre social experiment to ensure that no young person (the majority of whom can no longer afford to get on the housing ladder) will ever vote for them.

HOLA4411
37 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

She was saying to Oliver Dingdong that something needed to be done, he said rudely that it would be debated the same afternoon. Waste of time debate.

Dowdon spoke with forked tongue. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
7 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

We are dealing with scum here though.  No surprises that this has been kicked into touch.  Too many VI leeches to satisfy.

True, but at what point do the Tories just consign themselves to electoral oblivion by doing this stuff.

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, nuts said:

TLDR.    basically Gove promised Laura K earlier this year that it (no fault evictions would be banned) in this parliament.    

now that will officially no longer be the case.

It seems that the Conservative party is embarked on a bizarre social experiment to ensure that no young person (the majority of whom can no longer afford to get on the housing ladder) will ever vote for them.

In Wales where this is a devolved matter and Labour have been in continuous power for 25 years, a ban on no fault evictions isn't even being considered, and we won't see any benefit from Gove's reforms if they ever happen. So don't get your hopes up about all this improving when the dreaded Tories have been swapped out for the other lot.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
2 hours ago, andrewwk said:

maybe I'm being naive here, but what is the big deal with no fault evictions? If I own a property, why do I need to give a tenant a reason for asking them to leave?

Because of the balance of interests of the two parties

For the tenants it is their home, they live there.

For the landlord it is a source of (mostly unearned) income.

HOLA4418
2 hours ago, andrewwk said:

maybe I'm being naive here, but what is the big deal with no fault evictions? If I own a property, why do I need to give a tenant a reason for asking them to leave?

Suppose similar criticisms I've heard about no fault divorce. 

It means no chance to delay the process legally to give yourself breathing room (i.e. a chance at least get your ducks in a row and overcome what's about to come..i.e to find alternative accommodation as one example. 

There should be an improved (or higher threshold) of justification to lose something as basic as the roof over your head. A lot of people can end up on the streets and in many cases never get off them. 

The only real safety net in this country in these situations is if you have kids in tow, otherwise go get f**ked.  

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
15 minutes ago, msi said:

Tories gonna Tory...

True.

Landed (wannabe) gentry going to be landed gentry.

And: politicans going to be politicians.

Which is as it has always been.

The "difference" is how they (all, no matter what political 'colour') talk good and wallow on in the bad forever.

I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't talk rubbish. And honestly self seeking politican is better than a dishonest person cut fromt he same cloth.

Ah well, in the end, it all makes 0 difference. We are serfs.

HOLA4421
1 minute ago, Aidan Ap Word said:

Ah well, in the end, it all makes 0 difference. We are serfs.

Until the serfs decide they want a new Political landscape and start pushing.

Then it'll be wails of 'agitators' and 'terrorists' and 'revolution' ;)

HOLA4422
3 hours ago, andrewwk said:

I agree. I can't see how a landlord can be handcuffed in this way? In the case of social housing the problem doesn't exist, but private landlords aren't lackies for the council!

If the landlord wants to sell, if he's had complaints from neighbours, if he wants to move family in? What? 'sorry mate, we know you own it, but that's not allowed'!

I must be missing something?

HOLA4423
2 hours ago, MarkD said:

I agree. I can't see how a landlord can be handcuffed in this way? In the case of social housing the problem doesn't exist, but private landlords aren't lackies for the council!

If the landlord wants to sell, if he's had complaints from neighbours, if he wants to move family in? What? 'sorry mate, we know you own it, but that's not allowed'!

I must be missing something?

Should have thought of that before letting it out!

HOLA4424
24 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Should have thought of that before letting it out!

Would that not then encourage the landlord to then smoke his tenants out? ie double the rent!

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, MarkD said:

Would that not then encourage the landlord to then smoke his tenants out? ie double the rent!

The easy answer to that sort of attitude would be to ban private buy to let and leave the rental market to professional companies.