House Price Crash Forum

UK house prices should return to growth in next year, Rics survey shows

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
31 minutes ago, winkie said:

What does growth mean?...... less than cpi inflation and less than what can get net instant access savings account protected....;)

this sounds like PTSD

more than zero mate 

HOLA445
12 minutes ago, mynamehere said:

this sounds like PTSD

more than zero mate 

More than zero is less than zero if can get better returns elsewhere....... investments should imo not be targeted to property.....property should not exceed general inflation of anything else......;)

HOLA446
35 minutes ago, winkie said:

More than zero is less than zero if can get better returns elsewhere....... investments should imo not be targeted to property.....property should not exceed general inflation of anything else......;)

The article is talking about capital growth, not yield.  

Cash has yield. property also has yield. 

So it's total returns you want you compare, capital growth plus yield, then really you should also consider net rental yield from the property 

If it's not an investment, you should still consider the value of living the property, likely in terms of rental yield 

Edited by mynamehere

HOLA447
8 minutes ago, mynamehere said:

Cash has yield. property has yield. 

if it's purely an investment, then you should also consider rental yield from renting it out. Which 95% of the time is equal or greater than net interest income.  

If it's not an investment, you should still consider the value of living the property in terms of rental yield of that property. 

so you keep referencing savings income without acknowledging that property has yield too is quite unbalanced,  unless you are doing it as a joke. 

You have your opinion and interests.....if got all eggs in one basket should reassess....owning one property is a huge investment in itself.;)

HOLA448
6 minutes ago, winkie said:

You have your opinion and interests.....if got all eggs in one basket should reassess....owning one property is a huge investment in itself.;)

I buy eggs 6 at a time so it's never an issue

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Blimey there’s always someone who cares about semantics, what extremely detailed and genius research have they done to come to their conclusion?

Oh finger in the air like everyone else.

Has anyone ever been able to genuinely predict house prices or anything else?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

If you look at the actual report, their 12 month projections have been consistently over bullish for the last 10 years!

https://www.rics.org/content/dam/ricsglobal/documents/market-surveys/uk-residential-market-survey/March_2024_RICS_UK_Residential_Market_Survey.pdf

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
20 minutes ago, winkie said:

Must have plenty of money or is that plenty of debt?......;)

I've discovered eggs trash my cholesterol, so I'm on 2 -3  a week. Losing half a pack wouldn't cause me a moments grief

The cost  all comes down to how much you want to spend on housing. and by far the biggest factor in that is how much the house is worth. Whether you choose to buy cash or get a mortgage doesn't make much difference in my calculators. I think cos mortgage rates are about the same as net savings rates  

in the past the way I look at is take my predicated net income for the next 10 years, add that to my current net wealth. Then traditionally I'll live in a house worth maybe 30% of the total. (per person on the deed).

As I've got older, my priorities have changed a bit, I am more anchored, pets, kids, happy to never more or even go on holiday. It's become much more appealing to have my own castle

So my comfort is more like 50% or more even. 

I can't really see the downside of losing half my eggs

Edited by mynamehere

HOLA4415

Once paid for your own castle, doesn't have to be big or a place converted by others, wealthy people wouldn't take a second glance, nice and cosy cheap to run and maintain, nice outside places, nice people, nice places....then can buy a place with what have saved to buy another place for even less in a better place.......don't tell everyone.

Two for the price of one big one that is not wanted or desirable, flexibility and adaptability?.......less is more, what you don't owe shouldn't worry you.....nothing is a given, working for what is worth working for....leading a trend not following.;)

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, winkie said:

Once paid for your own castle, doesn't have to be big or a place converted by others, wealthy people wouldn't take a second glance, nice and cosy cheap to run and maintain, nice outside places, nice people, nice places....then can buy a place with what have saved to buy another place for even less in a better place.......don't tell everyone.

Two for the price of one big one that is not wanted or desirable, flexibility and adaptability?.......less is more, what you don't owe shouldn't worry you.....nothing is a given, working for what is worth working for....leading a trend not following.;)

We did flirt with the 2 cheap houses idea, but kids got too car sick, and that was that!

We are also not fussy about finish or anything like that, so we prioritise location over anything else

Unfortunately nice land in nice place  is expensive and there is no trick to getting around that

HOLA4417
13 minutes ago, mynamehere said:

We did flirt with the 2 cheap houses idea, but kids got too car sick, and that was that!

We are also not fussy about finish or anything like that, so we prioritise location over anything else

Unfortunately nice land in nice place  is expensive and there is no trick to getting around that

Nice land in a nice place doesn't have to be expensive......open your bag of hard boiled eggs and look about a bit......no tricks, not magic.;)

HOLA4418
40 minutes ago, winkie said:

Nice land in a nice place doesn't have to be expensive......open your bag of hard boiled eggs and look about a bit......no tricks, not magic.;)

If you live alternatively, absolutely. Cheapest land of all is the water, good times.

Unfortunately, if you stray into the mainstream,  land is priced fairly efficiently. If it's cheap there is usually a reason why.

HOLA4419
9 hours ago, Dweller said:

Can't see it myself .....

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/apr/11/uk-house-prices-should-return-to-growth-in-next-year-rics-survey-shows

UK house prices should return to growth in next year, Rics survey shows

This survey was carried out before yesterday's bombshell higher for longer bond market realisation, when they would have been expecting rates to plummet later in the year. I also highly doubt they have any insight into what direction the economy will go in the coming months and will likely be doing nothing more than projecting yesterday's trend into the future, blindly assuming the small uptick in the market will continue to grow.

HOLA4420

Unfortunately prices seem to be holding in Scotland due to low supply. Good houses in good postcodes, as well as older period proprieties are selling as well as ever. 

I see a distinct lull in detached houses in estates with 100s of properties. There are significantly more of those being listed with a 2 or 3 at the beginning of the asking price, compared with 3s and 4s last year.

The issue we have is wages continue to grow and mortgage rates will drop later this year. I expect deals to fall below 4% soon as we move away from the almost market-wide 5% level. 

HOLA4421
42 minutes ago, fellow said:

This survey was carried out before yesterday's bombshell higher for longer bond market realisation, when they would have been expecting rates to plummet later in the year. I also highly doubt they have any insight into what direction the economy will go in the coming months and will likely be doing nothing more than projecting yesterday's trend into the future, blindly assuming the small uptick in the market will continue to grow.

They are just selling a dream. This is their only narrative. It’s pointless commenting on what they say.