House Price Crash Forum

National nail price increase day

HOLA441

This always seems to be a minor obsession on this board - nail bars and barbers. A lot of concern that some establishments are not busy, whereas those that are, apparently must be money laundering operations! There are other businesses on the high street that also vary in trade, such as takeaways and mobile repair shops, but seemingly not so concerning. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
17 minutes ago, Trampa501 said:

! There are other businesses on the high street that also vary in trade, such as takeaways and mobile repair shops, but seemingly not so concerning. 

Those businesses actually have real material costs and require actual skills.

HOLA443
8 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I'm not sure that burger-flipping or kebab slicing requires a lot more skill than barbers/hairdressers. 

HOLA444
1 minute ago, Trampa501 said:

I'm not sure that burger-flipping or kebab slicing requires a lot more skill than barbers/hairdressers. 

No but I was talking about nail bars 

HOLA445
2 hours ago, Trampa501 said:

This always seems to be a minor obsession on this board - nail bars and barbers. A lot of concern that some establishments are not busy, whereas those that are, apparently must be money laundering operations! There are other businesses on the high street that also vary in trade, such as takeaways and mobile repair shops, but seemingly not so concerning. 

Most of the 'cash only' Barbers are reasonably busy in my experience, I'm suspect there is some tax dodging going on, but it's believable the staff/rent are being paid from the money paid by customers, and at my local one the guys don't turn up in Range Rovers. Any business which is empty the majority of the time, but with multiple staff standing chatting and driving expensive cars, unless the business is selling very high margin products, raises questions.

HOLA446
2 hours ago, Trampa501 said:

Anything involving food has overheads... not only does one need supply of the ingredients (e.g. frozen burgers) one also needs equipment and a hygiene certificate... A barber's shop doesn't require that.  I do think that skill is required... and find it somewhat unnerving when I have to trust a barber solely because they haven't been bludgeoned to death, as retribution, by the last customer they scalped as a joke.

I would pay more for a good barber... I don't select by price.  Despite this, I frequently find the best barber I can find is also inexpensive.  I don't think being a barber - even a good one - is very lucrative.  On the other hand, a cash business might well provide cover for side-lines.

For barbers in my local city... I can't fathom how they can manage to pay rent and pay a living wage to staff.  There are pricier barbers... but, in my experience, they are rather full-of-themselves... demanding you, as customer, arrange your life around them... This is a supplier relationship like that doesn't work for me.

I don't get why anyone sane would be a nail-bar customer.  However... my pet peeve on the high-street are vape-shops.  I wish that were not lucrative.

I'm not sure what's going to come of the high street.  It feels as if retail has moved on.  I wonder what will happen to the buildings if shops have passed their sell-by date?

HOLA447
19 minutes ago, A.steve said:

Anything involving food has overheads... not only does one need supply of the ingredients (e.g. frozen burgers) one also needs equipment and a hygiene certificate... A barber's shop doesn't require that.  I do think that skill is required... and find it somewhat unnerving when I have to trust a barber solely because they haven't been bludgeoned to death, as retribution, by the last customer they scalped as a joke.

Barbers are actually qualified to NVQ level 2 or preferably level 3, at least in a reputable salon.

19 minutes ago, A.steve said:

I would pay more for a good barber... I don't select by price.  Despite this, I frequently find the best barber I can find is also inexpensive.  I don't think being a barber - even a good one - is very lucrative.  On the other hand, a cash business might well provide cover for side-lines.

For barbers in my local city... I can't fathom how they can manage to pay rent and pay a living wage to staff.  There are pricier barbers... but, in my experience, they are rather full-of-themselves... demanding you, as customer, arrange your life around them... This is a supplier relationship like that doesn't work for me.

I don't get why anyone sane would be a nail-bar customer.  However... my pet peeve on the high-street are vape-shops.  I wish that were not lucrative.

I'm not sure what's going to come of the high street.  It feels as if retail has moved on.  I wonder what will happen to the buildings if shops have passed their sell-by date?

Other functions will move into them that were previously peripheral to the high street. This is already happening. Bars, cafes, doctors, dentists, chiropodists, arcades, masseurs, and even residential, if the NIMBYs allow it.

HOLA448
31 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Barbers are actually qualified to NVQ level 2 or preferably level 3, at least in a reputable salon.

Have you ever verified your barber's qualifications before a haircut?  Of course, once having passed an NVQ... this doesn't provide assurance the qualified barber doesn't intend to prank you.

31 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Other functions will move into them that were previously peripheral to the high street. This is already happening. Bars, cafes, doctors, dentists, chiropodists, arcades, masseurs, and even residential, if the NIMBYs allow it.

All of those things were present on the high-street alongside lots of retail shops. Do we really think there's a boundless demand for cafes?

As for arcades - the 'gaming machines' shops are things I dislike only slightly less than vape shops.  I'm not a big fan of bookmakers - either.

HOLA449
46 minutes ago, A.steve said:

Have you ever verified your barber's qualifications before a haircut?  Of course, once having passed an NVQ... this doesn't provide assurance the qualified barber doesn't intend to prank you.

All of those things were present on the high-street alongside lots of retail shops. Do we really think there's a boundless demand for cafes?

As for arcades - the 'gaming machines' shops are things I dislike only slightly less than vape shops.  I'm not a big fan of bookmakers - either.

You miserable ####

HOLA4410

Barber anecdote. When I first moved to London (Hackney) in 1998 and on the dole for the first 4 months, I found a barbers on the Balls Pond Road who did hair cuts for £2!! I kid you not! He was OK so long as you weren't fussy. I recommended him to a friend of mine at the time. He cut his fringe so far back it looked like he had an Alice band on! He never forgave me. 🤣 

Edited by bomberbrown

HOLA4411
16 hours ago, btd1981 said:

What a pointless industry anyway. Whenever I see a nail tech type after work on social media, they are often careful to stipulate they don't want to work more hours that would torpedo their welfare top up.

The whole sector is entirely reliant on benefits culture... the business owners, the workers and the customers will all be in receipt of tax credits.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Some really good hairdressing tutorials on utube, over the pandemic there must have been people that ordered the professional scissors etc online and have become quite proficient at cutting hair.......anyone now no longer need go to a hairdressers/barbers?;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
9 hours ago, bomberbrown said:

Barber anecdote. When I first moved to London (Hackney) in 1998 and on the dole for the first 4 months, I found a barbers on the Balls Pond Road who did hair cuts for £2!! I kid you not! He was OK so long as you weren't fussy. I recommended him to a friend of mine at the time. He cut his fringe so far back it looked like he had an Alice band on! He never forgave me. 🤣 

I spoke to a proper serious expensive barber runs his own upmarket shop by the legal district in Leeds, he said to me hygiene is a big issue too, can catch diseases from improperly kept/maintained/sanitised scissors and clippers. HIV can't be transmitted but lots of other more minor nasties can get on to you.

HOLA4417
2 hours ago, Stewy said:

Kulaz barbers in Stockton. Excellent place...although I superzero my own hair now 🥰

that'll help to make up the financial shortfall you made by not using any of the govt's 25% money back offers for buying a house with a small mortgage. Must be gutting.

HOLA4418
32 minutes ago, Si1 said:

that'll help to make up the financial shortfall you made by not using any of the govt's 25% money back offers for buying a house with a small mortgage. Must be gutting.

I cut my hair once a week so I'm saving around £500/year at present. 

Getting entangled with the state is not something I recommend...✓✓

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
14 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

How does every thread devolve like this.

Short,back and sides.....or now doing it themselves, cutting and colouring both nails and hair.....makes sense.;)

HOLA4421
3 hours ago, Stewy said:

So that's a yes! Omg

HOLA4422
3 hours ago, Stewy said:

I have quite a few pairs of side cutters for electronics fab, but they are great for cutting iron hard toenails, especially the big toenail which is virtually indestructible.

I am at the stage with hair though where it is thinning. A decent hair dresser can make a fairly good job of it and it looks fine without having to go for a buzz cut, but I can't.

HOLA4423
19 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

I am at the stage with hair though where it is thinning. A decent hair dresser can make a fairly good job of it and it looks fine without having to go for a buzz cut, but I can't.

Going SuperZero can take years off you. You do need the right shaped head though 😇 oh and get a tan and a bit of stubble to go with it.

@Stewy's grooming advice. 

HOLA4424
3 minutes ago, Stewy said:

Going SuperZero can take years off you. You do need the right shaped head though 😇 oh and get a tan and a bit of stubble to go with it.

@Stewy's grooming advice. 

Once you go full bald then no one can tell how old you are. I know a guy who has been bald since he was about 40 and its hard to tell the difference now he is 60.

Unfortunately I don't have either the head shape or the quality of skin to carry off the bald look or I would probably go for a #0 in a heatbeat.

HOLA4425
2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

How does every thread devolve like this.

Benefit fraud and money laundering are significant factors in the economy.