House Price Crash Forum

I’m a mortgage broker – my middle-class clients are in a debt spiral and can’t afford their lives

HOLA441
3 minutes ago, Bear Goggles said:

Yes. I think it’s also important to note that times have changed since the crash of the early 90s. It doesn’t appear to be politically possible to not bail out banks and homeowners like it was in the past.

That has its own long term costs. I think we're living them now.

3 minutes ago, Bear Goggles said:

The only way it all goes down is if they “lose control” of the economy. There have been plenty of predictions of that happening over the past couple of decades of this forum. So far all of which have been wrong. 

First very slow and then all of a sudden. The descent since beginning 2022 has been pretty painful across society don't you think? (But not for people with some sense and minimal or controlled debt like HPCers...)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
2 minutes ago, Si1 said:

That has its own long term costs. I think we're living them now.

First very slow and then all of a sudden. The descent since beginning 2022 has been pretty painful across society don't you think? (But not for people with some sense and minimal or controlled debt like HPCers...)

Yes. The long term cost is what we’re living with. 

it’s also been very painful for HPCers. Many have foregone a secure home, for decades in some cases. There are very few winners under the age of about 60 tbh.

HOLA443
HOLA444
1 hour ago, Pebbles said:

That's rubbish you can easily eat a nutritious meal for a pound a day per person hell knock yourself out and spend £2 per person per day that's 8x 7 so £56 a week. I do this it isn't rocket science or difficult. Just basic budgeting and eating sensibly.

Feel free to write the 'Pebbles Quid Meal...the sequel to 30p Lee' book....  we can all learn ;)

HOLA445
2 hours ago, Pebbles said:

That's rubbish you can easily eat a nutritious meal for a pound a day per person hell knock yourself out and spend £2 per person per day that's 8x 7 so £56 a week. I do this it isn't rocket science or difficult. Just basic budgeting and eating sensibly.

Well as an adult it is advised to eat 2grams of protein per kg of body weight and that’s just for starters in terms of nutrition so I am calling bullsh1t on your claim. (Unless you expect people to eat cat food).

HOLA446
2 hours ago, Si1 said:

It's like buying a shiny car because you're bored and your job sucks.

Or a Porsche or some other similar ostentatious car if you’re lacking in some department.

HOLA447
25 minutes ago, Blobsy said:

Well as an adult it is advised to eat 2grams of protein per kg of body weight and that’s just for starters in terms of nutrition so I am calling bullsh1t on your claim. (Unless you expect people to eat cat food).

2 g protein per kg of bodyweight would make sense for a strength training athlete.

This suggests less:

https://www.nal.usda.gov/human-nutrition-and-food-safety/dri-calculator

HOLA448
33 minutes ago, Blobsy said:

Yeah in practicality since you need kitchen equipment and space, energy both electrical and human, and genuine skills and time to cook from scratch. Sure you can live well cheaply if you have these things but it's not really cheap if you cost all the extra stuff that goes into it or if you simply don't have the time.

HOLA449
7 hours ago, Will! said:

2 g protein per kg of bodyweight would make sense for a strength training athlete.

This suggests less:

https://www.nal.usda.gov/human-nutrition-and-food-safety/dri-calculator

2g protein per kg is about right for most. People are chronically undernourished judging by the amount of noodle-arms in the general public. 

Of course TPTB don't want a strong populace which is why they downplay the benefits of red meat, saturated fat, etc. Stick to your porridge and rabbit food etc. 

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
9 hours ago, Si1 said:

Yeah in practicality since you need kitchen equipment and space, energy both electrical and human, and genuine skills and time to cook from scratch. Sure you can live well cheaply if you have these things but it's not really cheap if you cost all the extra stuff that goes into it or if you simply don't have the time.

In some deprived areas, it is just a desert of fresh food . Little veg or fruit and what there is , expensive for locals . 
Eating well , has I’m afraid, become expensive . I make my own humous for example .

Yep, you  can get a pot in the supermarket. But full of rapeseed oil ,  little or no tahini in it , huge amount of water , preserved lemon juice etc .. 

but to buy good quality chickpeas , tahini , decent lemons , good quality Eav olive oil , then cook and mix it all . It’s not cheap . 

HOLA4412
26 minutes ago, Johnno1167 said:

In some deprived areas, it is just a desert of fresh food . Little veg or fruit and what there is , expensive for locals . 
Eating well , has I’m afraid, become expensive . I make my own humous for example .

I wasn't going to say this too but I did think it. Even in quite poor areas there's usually an Aldi or co-op which have some decent freshish produce. And then there's much poorer areas still which don't have that.

26 minutes ago, Johnno1167 said:

HOLA4413
13 hours ago, Si1 said:

It's like buying a shiny car because you're bored and your job sucks.

If buying a home is out of their reach with a boring job that sucks, why not buy a nice car, got to have something to show for all their hard work.......those that did scrape together enough debt to buy a home will not be buying a shiny flash car......;)

HOLA4414

Are they really middle class, in the historic sense, if they have so much debt it risks overwhelming their finances?

Don’t recall any worries about debt burden in any of the fiction or nonfiction books I’ve read referencing people with good jobs in finance or medicine 1850-1950.

We probably need to accept that middle class in London / SE is now a household income pushing £200k so need to be senior medics, top tier civil servants or c suite.

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Johnno1167 said:

The last place on earth to go for nutritional  food advice is the US . 

Was about to say the same, lol.

The country that once deemed ketchup as a vegetable to count towards your 5 a day.

HOLA4416
16 minutes ago, Blobsy said:

Was about to say the same, lol.

The country that once deemed ketchup as a vegetable to count towards your 5 a day.

That is actually true...same for purée...the more processed tomatoes get, the more their goodness is bioavailable...

HOLA4417
On 27/02/2024 at 16:04, Social Justice League said:

Trolls gonna troll.

Yes but, don't you remember Sibley,  the troll..... he was proven right. The politico bankers created debt to manipulate interest rates lower.....but, did Sibley know this?.....I suspect not.

?

HOLA4418

I have worked very hard to avoid lifestyle creep whilst keeping earning more. I have battered 14 year old car. Small 2 bed council house brought for cash all because I grow my own food and have the same lifestyle I had as a student. It's not expensive and not difficult. We on less than 20k a year dispute earning 6 times that gross. It's not really that difficult.

Edited by Pebbles

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, winkie said:

If buying a home is out of their reach with a boring job that sucks, why not buy a nice car, got to have something to show for all their hard work.......those that did scrape together enough debt to buy a home will not be buying a shiny flash car......;)

This is sarcasm, right ? 😄

HOLA4420
2 hours ago, Johnno1167 said:

Yep, you  can get a pot in the supermarket. But full of rapeseed oil ,  little or no tahini in it , huge amount of water , preserved lemon juice etc .. 

but to buy good quality chickpeas , tahini , decent lemons , good quality Eav olive oil , then cook and mix it all . It’s not cheap . 

You don't cook hummus if you buy chickpeas in a tin, rinse .....then just blast all the ingredients together, very quick and easy.....good olive oil is now expensive, (climate  change and Brexit) doesn't have to be extra virgin.;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
13 minutes ago, winkie said:

You don't cook hummus if you buy chickpeas in a tin, rinse .....then just blast all the ingredients together, very quick and easy.....good olive oil is now expensive, (climate  change and Brexit) doesn't have to be extra virgin.;)

If I want olive oil all over my mouth, I want the extra sl*tty version ;)

HOLA4423
25 minutes ago, winkie said:

No not really, sometimes you can't have both.....buying a home will often mean sacrificing the nice car...;)

In my experience those indebted with a large mortgage are also indebted with a large Range Rover or BMW or Mercedes.. Those who need to show their wealth are usually indebted with both (and more besides).

HOLA4424
1 minute ago, Sackboii said:

In my experience those indebted with a large mortgage are also indebted with a large Range Rover or BMW or Mercedes.. Those who need to show their wealth are usually indebted with both (and more besides).

...... not something I see generally for first time buyers, those that have plenty of money also usually have plenty of debt.;)

HOLA4425