House Price Crash Forum

Labour to send estate agents back to school

HOLA441

Estate agents would be forced to go back to school under Labour plans

Minimum level of qualifications could be required under tabled housing reforms

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/property/estate-agents-minimum-qualifications-labour-plans/

Estate agents would have to go back to school and finish higher education under Labour plans to rid the housing market of cowboys.

Labour’s shadow housing minister Matthew Pennycook has tabled an amendment to incoming housing reforms which would require all estate agents to have at least one A-level and all directors of estate agencies to have an undergraduate degree.

If passed, the rules would need to be enacted within 24 months of the bill becoming law. Some 102 pages of amendments to the 133-page “Leasehold and Freehold Reform Bill” are currently being debated by MPs.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

It's amazing just how thick estate agents are, I know one who's had her house on the market for 9 months now at what was obvious to me was a delusional asking price from the start, she's had no viewings on it at all for the last 6 months, even following a whole 2% price reduction.

It's not like she's just casually kite flying either, she's got a specific forward purchase already lined up and apparently she's "tearing her hair out" at the lack of interest in her home.

HOLA447
1 hour ago, nome said:

It's amazing just how thick estate agents are, I know one who's had her house on the market for 9 months now at what was obvious to me was a delusional asking price from the start, she's had no viewings on it at all for the last 6 months, even following a whole 2% price reduction.

It's not like she's just casually kite flying either, she's got a specific forward purchase already lined up and apparently she's "tearing her hair out" at the lack of interest in her home.

Its also amazing how thick most UGs are.

Maybe Pennycock (History, LSE) needs to tabel a option proposing all Pols need to have a STEM degree?

HOLA448
HOLA449
17 minutes ago, btd1981 said:

You need conscientiousness and ability to get qualifications

I winged it on just the second in education.

3A* and 7A at GCSE, a 2:1 in BSc Econ all low effort really. ✓

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
7 hours ago, Stewy said:

Unnecessary meddling & regulation. 

Customers of companies can do their own due diligence, should they care. 

For once, I have to agree with Stewy. What could be done is a more open review of estate agent behaviour. Undercover sellers and buyers.

3 hours ago, btd1981 said:

You need conscientiousness and ability to get qualifications: this could eviscerate the industry of staff.

Disagree. The way the education system is, pushing numbers through for funding, I don't think it will have any impact on consciousness or moral behaviour.

1 hour ago, wighty said:

What a waste of taxpayer money.

🤣🤣🤣

HOLA4412

I don't really agree with this.  An A level and a degree aren't that hard to get, and I don't see what they have got to do with competence anyway.  For example you might have a German that did an apprenticeship come to the UK to be an estate agent.  It is not hard to imagine even without these qualifications they could be a much more professional agent than many.

What we do need is for agents to have skin in the game if they do something dishonest or unprofessional, there should a penalty that genuinely hurts them in the long term.

HOLA4413