• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
23 minutes ago, kzb said:

Sprouts, broccoli, carrots, parsnips, now all 15p per pack at Tesco.

This is cheaper than last Christmas where they were 20p a bag (although admittedly I've not checked the pack sizes.

Been on TV this morning that demand for caviar is at a record and they can't keep up with sales.

25% deflation right there. It probably costs more to cook them, unless done in the microwave (actually quite good for sprouts). 

HOLA445

I noticed Cash ISA Fixed rates have dropped in the last day or two. Looks like we might not even see a year of normal interest rates after all that. Gove was waffling on about a return to "normal" interest rates in his housing speech this week, worryingly I think he meant normal as in lower than now. 

Edited by simon99

HOLA446

Gas + Electric are down (seems flat v govt payment last year, but for ONS price is down)

Petrol/Diesel is down

Food seems pretty flat in last 6 months.

Anything related to car maintenance, purchase, or home improvements is up a lot.

Mortgage is flat (fixed for a few years yet)

I think the numbers announced seem resonable, though note CPIH is higher as OOH costs increasing as people remortgage, the problem is that none of us is probably a statistical average, so we all have different experiences.

HOLA447
11 minutes ago, Stewy said:

25% deflation right there. It probably costs more to cook them, unless done in the microwave (actually quite good for sprouts). 

They do that every Christmas......all supermarkets want to encourage foot flow into their stores, only got so much to spend, only need to spend so much.......re 15p bags of veg, peel, prepare, and blanch 2mins in boiling water then plunge into cold water, cool, bag and freeze....onions best kept as are store in cool dark dry place same with potatoes.....potatoes however can freeze if cook first, mashed potato freezes well, otherwise peel and pre boil as if to make crispy roasts but cool and freeze, then when need to roast most of the work already done, important to label well and rotate use within six months or so......;)

HOLA448
1 hour ago, BaldED said:

No. And never have. @scottbeard is the only one that believes the official figures whether it be inflation or the daddy of all GDP.

The global mind of a billion + on the stock market don't believe it either.

I believe that they are an accurate calculation of what they are intended to measure, not just a made up number

CPI systematically and by design understates the actual level of inflation most people face, lets be clear about that

But it's a calculation from thousands of data points, not just a man in a room going "oooh let's throw out a number less than 4% to help Andrew Bailey out"

HOLA449

Most news outlets are quite telling in what they're really taking from this.

eg. "raised hopes that the Bank of England will begin cutting interest rates sooner than expected. "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67769782

Sucker rate mortgage up for renewal is it? You'd better hope Big J at the Fed bails you out then.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
41 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Most news outlets are quite telling in what they're really taking from this.

eg. "raised hopes that the Bank of England will begin cutting interest rates sooner than expected. "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67769782

Sucker rate mortgage up for renewal is it? You'd better hope Big J at the Fed bails you out then.

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/stockmanhow-fed-wrecked-dream-homeownership

As has been discussed there's a lot of homes that are not going to be put on the market with folk sitting on 30 year 3 % fixes something that does not exist here...

What it doesn't say is what I think it was wolf richter at wolf street......is thats not quite the story...sure these folk sit tight and are not selling but they also ain't buying so its actually a net zero sum game.....they have removed their properties from the selling pool but they are not in the buying pool...

Now here in the Uk there is none of this 30 year 3% stuff.....folk are coming off short term fixes to higher fixes or svr rates....many i have already read have to go to svr or a fix with current lender...THEY CANNOT SHOP AROUND AS THEY DON'T QUALIFY for other lender deals...so limitied options....

Prices are dropping in the US....what keeps the market from imploding here ? NOT Much !

Hopium I would say!

HOLA4413
1 minute ago, staintunerider said:

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/stockmanhow-fed-wrecked-dream-homeownership

As has been discussed there's a lot of homes that are not going to be put on the market with folk sitting on 30 year 3 % fixes something that does not exist here...

What it doesn't say is what I think it was wolf richter at wolf street......is thats not quite the story...sure these folk sit tight and are not selling but they also ain't buying so its actually a net zero sum game.....they have removed their properties from the selling pool but they are not in the buying pool...

Now here in the Uk there is none of this 30 year 3% stuff.....folk are coming off short term fixes to higher fixes or svr rates....many i have already read have to go to svr or a fix with current lender...THEY CANNOT SHOP AROUND AS THEY DON'T QUALIFY for other lender deals...so limitied options....

Prices are dropping in the US....what keeps the market from imploding here ? NOT Much !

Hopium I would say!

Little cut and paste from the link:

Actually, true mortgage rates are still sub-normal. What is way too high are home prices, and that condition is absolutely attributable to decades of interest rate repression, which is now taking a second bite of the apple owing to a severe, cheap-mortgage “lock-in” effect that is keeping millions of homes off the market.

With respect to super-cheap mortgage rates during the past decade and more, the home price inflation mechanism is simple: Homes are the quintessential leveraged asset—with current outstanding mortgage debt equal to nearly $13 trillion.  Accordingly, the marginal bid for properties is heavily debt financed, meaning that the lower real interest rates, the higher the market-clearing price of properties.

But now that home prices have been driven sky-high by cheap mortgage debt, prospective home buyers are being monkey-hammered by an economic double whammy. To wit, instead of going down as interest rates rise per the normal laws of economics, home prices are still going up owing to artificially scarce availability of units for sale. So when you multiply a higher mortgage rate times even higher home prices you get monthly mortgage payments that are way out of reach for an increasing share of US households.

HOLA4414
17 minutes ago, staintunerider said:

But now that home prices have been driven sky-high by cheap mortgage debt, prospective home buyers are being monkey-hammered by an economic double whammy. To wit, instead of going down as interest rates rise per the normal laws of economics, home prices are still going up owing to artificially scarce availability of units for sale. So when you multiply a higher mortgage rate times even higher home prices you get monthly mortgage payments that are way out of reach for an increasing share of US households.

I think he's completey wrong on the last part...prices are falling....with some exceptions like detroit which is starting from totally ******* busted and Miami and Florida where folk are flocking to leave Democrat states and driving prices up...

All those on fixes are not buyers he misses that completely.....

Credit cost and availability are what price property not stock of properties....its irrelevant about the stock...the buyers must be able to afford and get the credit......and increasingly they can;t

Wolf Street  has covered this....

Makes many salient points like why prices are expensive but prices are tanking now regardless they are not going up...

Edited by staintunerider

HOLA4415
Just now, staintunerider said:

I think he's completey wrong on the last part...prices are falling....

All those on fixes are not buyers he misses that completely.....

Credit cost and availability are what price property not stock of properties....its irrelevant about the stock...the buyers must be able to afford and get the credit......and increasingly they can;t

Wolf Street  has covered this....

Makes many salient points like why prices are expensive but prices are tanking now regardless they are not going up...

Here;'s canada

https://wolfstreet.com/2023/12/14/the-most-splendid-housing-bubbles-in-canada-toronto-19-from-peak-back-to-sept-2021-hamilton-area-25-back-to-feb-2021-new-high-in-calgary/

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
5 hours ago, Warlord said:

YES! It's truly magical! Government's can print money without consequence or inflation!  Amazing isn't it !

Boom time!

I don't think anybody's saying there's no consequences are they? We've had a period of much higher inflation than in previous years and various other consequences, not least a largely static housing market when, at times, inflation was running at 10% or more.

Lots of these consequences (eg fiscal drag) will be with us for years to come but it seems fairly likely that once wage inflation catches up a bit more (most likely in the new year), rates will fall again and mortgage rates will be more expensive than effectively nothing, like at times during the pandemic, but still ultimately pretty cheap. 

We ain't building anything like enough new homes and we've absorbed something like a net million plus additional people over the last 2 years alone. Regardless of whatever you believe the consequences of money creation are, if you think that mixture adds up to anything other than HPI, I have a bridge to sell you. 

HOLA4420
1 hour ago, simon99 said:

I noticed Cash ISA Fixed rates have dropped in the last day or two. Looks like we might not even see a year of normal interest rates after all that. Gove was waffling on about a return to "normal" interest rates in his housing speech this week, worryingly I think he meant normal as in lower than now. 

It will be at mnost less than 1.0 of rate cuts if that.....check out the lord king interview....."low rate experiment went on too long" he knows they are not going back to where they were.....chances are as time goes on they will tick up again over this decade.....

Tooth = Pull fast or slow

UK Real Estate = Pull fast or slow]

End result, it's happening!

HOLA4421
2 minutes ago, staintunerider said:

It will be at mnost less than 1.0 of rate cuts if that.....check out the lord king interview....."low rate experiment went on too long" he knows they are not going back to where they were.....chances are as time goes on they will tick up again over this decade.....

Tooth = Pull fast or slow

UK Real Estate = Pull fast or slow]

End result, it's happening!

I hope we don't see a return to the lunacy of ZIRP, but he's not at the helm any more, and the BoE often talk a tough game.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
1 minute ago, Hullabaloo82 said:

I don't think anybody's saying there's no consequences are they? We've had a period of much higher inflation than in previous years and various other consequences, not least a largely static housing market when, at times, inflation was running at 10% or more.

Lots of these consequences (eg fiscal drag) will be with us for years to come but it seems fairly likely that once wage inflation catches up a bit more (most likely in the new year), rates will fall again and mortgage rates will be more expensive than effectively nothing, like at times during the pandemic, but still ultimately pretty cheap. 

We ain't building anything like enough new homes and we've absorbed something like a net million plus additional people over the last 2 years alone. Regardless of whatever you believe the consequences of money creation are, if you think that mixture adds up to anything other than HPI, I have a bridge to sell you. 

HPI is bad for society.  Shelter from the rain is needed for everyone, whether they are a debtor or not.

The establishment want homeless people on the news because it sends a message to the serfs that if you don't work in a non job for 50 years, this could be you.

It's embarrassing for all involved who call themselves civilised.  Printers, borrowers the lot.

Nothing civilised about western consumer capitalism.  The Romans had a more civilised society 2000 years ago.  Today in 2023 we have fiat printing/borrowing animals who will all pay the price for being rat scum, eventually.

Time is marching on.

HOLA4424
4 hours ago, smuf-ww said:

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read.

Wage demands are going to fall away. More people are about to lose their jobs.

Wage demands usually lag inflation given people don't typically negotiate a raise or change jobs more than once a year. There's also a slightly counterintuitive effect whereby loss of lower paid jobs can drive up earnings data by removing the low end of average or median calculations. 

The UK has seen a K shaped recovery since covid; lots of people have been on low mortgage rates and wfh since the pandemic and a lot more have also changed jobs or at least pushed up earnings through leverage during the "great resignation". These are the people actually buying houses and they will absorb the shock of remortgaging or taking out a new loan, especially if we're look at the return of sub 3% loans. 

There may well be job losses but I'm not sure it will move the needle as much as some hope. For starters, vacancies are still high, even as numbers on payrolls start to dip. The rental market still seems to defy gravity, not least because the supposed fiscal hawks in the Conservative party seem desperate to prop it up with subsidies of all kinds. 

HOLA4425