House Price Crash Forum

Nothing To See Here: ONS LR +0.2% YoY

Timm

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
9 minutes ago, Timm said:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/housepriceindex/august2023

Nothing much to add really, but the graph does look very much like early 2008.

Down from 0.7% (revised estimate, hmmm) in August. About -0.5% MoM?

Edit. I worked it out from test numbers rather than one YoY result less the other, although they do tie up that way too....🤔

Edited by Huggy

HOLA444
HOLA445

This is quite important too:

"The amount of time between the sale of a property and the registration of this information varies. It typically ranges between 2 weeks and 2 months but can be longer. Volume figures for the most recent 2 months are not yet at a reliable level for reporting, so they are not included in the report."

HOLA446
2 minutes ago, Frankie Teardrop said:

This is quite important too:

"The amount of time between the sale of a property and the registration of this information varies. It typically ranges between 2 weeks and 2 months but can be longer. Volume figures for the most recent 2 months are not yet at a reliable level for reporting, so they are not included in the report."

Sales figures and mortgage approvals figures have been low since 2008.

Been a bit of a false markey for 15y now.

ZIRP has allowed peopel to clign onto too much housing  for too long.

Now IR ave turned everythign has changed.

Last 15+y has only seen the odd house near me come onto th amrket.

Last 6 moths has seen more For Sale signs than then the last ~10y combined.

HOLA447
HOLA448

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
17 minutes ago, Biggus said:

At first glance this looks like bad news. But I don't see any fundamental reason to be pessimistic. We simply had a bad month. You should not expect to see prices go down in a straight line.

The rate of falls in the rate of HPI looks remarkably consistant to me.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
22 minutes ago, Frankie Teardrop said:

I suspect within a year those annual changes are showing -5 to -10% as the data eventually makes its way thro the system.

image.png.9e0d46e008d080a91617f04e8c202adc.png

I agree.

Thanks for posting the graph - the percentage change has collapsed from about 14% to close to zer in less than 6 months. It is likely IMHO that the line will continue to fall through zero into negative territary.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
11 minutes ago, dpg50000 said:

What a totally unexpected response from you 🙄. TBH, I'm disappointed. Isn't AI supposed to learn and adapt itself so you can't tell it's not human.

It's an accurate and succinct word and therefore a good use of language ✓✓

HOLA4419

Around only 15% of properties are included in the latest Land Registry figures. 

There is a good chance these figures are derived from the highest-priced selling houses so the figures could certainly be fudged.

Inflation still going up at 6.7% (to get the true inflation figure just double this number), fudged.

Looks like inflation is not transitory.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
On 18/10/2023 at 11:24, Timm said:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/housepriceindex/august2023

Nothing much to add really, but the graph does look very much like early 2008.

Also looks like early 2011.  The early 2008 drop showed 10.6% from Jul 2007 to -7.2% in Aug 2008 whereas this drop is 13.8% to 0.2% over the same period (admittedly with a likely revision but that could go either way).

As to "the percentage change has collapsed from about 14% to close to zero in less than 6 months", I don't see that.  It's more like 13 months from Jul 22 to Aug 23.