• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
3 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

Yep

Regular non motivated sellers = Denial

Commercial and Motivated sellers a bit further along.

Winter = fear

Summer 24 = Despair

End 24 = Election and capitulation 

25 bottom and pumping by government

Is anyone under any realistic impression that the government's finances will be in a better shape in 2025 than now, as opposed to considerably worse?

HOLA444
2 hours ago, Eddie_George said:

It's election year next year. Expect a taxpayer-funded scheme to put a floor under prices to be announced soon.

Doubt it:

1. We can't afford it.

3. There are probably now more younger voters wanting prices to fall than there are older voters wanting them to rise.

2. The pensioners are already being bribed by the triple lock and will mostly vote Conservative anyway.

4. We can't afford it.

HOLA445
34 minutes ago, msi said:

No domestic buyers as BOE can't drop rates as they haven't tamed inflation and they'd be exposed to currency flight to USD/EUR.

No international buyers as the UK is a basket case compared to Eurozone, US, and Switzerland.

If everyone starts holding off to 'wait for prices to come down' you have the stage for a full on crash.

Lovely

I've had a hunch for a while the government has run out of tricks to boost housing, and that isn't going to change while its debts are becoming more costly to service - Truss's budget showed what irresponsible gov. borrowing results in now (as opposed to what irresponsible gov. borrowing resulted in the previous 15 years). 

The market looks incredibly weak, with barely even a dead cat bounce; 

dead cat.jpg

HOLA446
8 minutes ago, nero120 said:

Is anyone under any realistic impression that the government's finances will be in a better shape in 2025 than now, as opposed to considerably worse?

Yes worse

But someone in a nice suit will come and grease some palms and say.

• its an investment cut spend x = property market going up and you will get XX
  • More people will work so you get x
  • people will love you so you get x and voted in again
  • we will make a donation of x

Win

Edited by Fromage Frais

HOLA447

It's all ******ed from here, either interest rate keep going up which breaks the housing market due to affordability and mortgage lender continue to say here mate that ain't worth what you offered or rate drop because we're in recession and job loss and salary falls cause affordability to drop the housing market goes with it and mortgage lenders continue to say here mate that ain't worth what you offered.

HOLA448
7 minutes ago, fellow said:

Doubt it:

1. We can't afford it.

3. There are probably now more younger voters wanting prices to fall than there are older voters wanting them to rise.

2. The pensioners are already being bribed by the triple lock and will mostly vote Conservative anyway.

4. We can't afford it.

Dad

I have a loan

Its going bad

If I dont pay it I will loose everything and the bank will take all my things

I will hate you

If you borrow 1000£

I will pay off my debts and I can sell my stuff for more money and pay you back right away.

I will love you

Its not a expense its paying x to save xx

etc etc

They will defo fiddle labour have a track record as to the conservatives the only saving grace is that it is too late now and prices have not fallen far enough.  Labour have a year to resist pumping as they can blame the outgoing folk.

Truss had an outside chance get rates up to 6%+ bring it all down and then good to go a shortened 2 year crash.

Rishi has gone for the taper a Ponzi method and we will get the long drawn out one.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 hour ago, Up the spout said:

dead cat.jpg

That graph is beautiful. 

The other day, I heard Charlie and Stig mention that so far, only 1/3 of mortgage holders have remortgaged at these higher rates, and that 2/3 are still yet to do so, and will do over the coming year or so. 

I can see that graph FLYING down much further yet, through all of 2024. 

Exciting times ahead for the HPC crowd. 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
3 hours ago, mynamehere said:

It's possible to gently prod, without annoying the agent.

Ask for an online brochure, reply to the email which usually includes an invite to view, with  something like

'Looks great,  but it's over budget sadly. Long shot, but if it does come down to £xxx, feel free to contact me to arrange a viewing'.

If you are miles off, agent can just ignore you without awkwardness. If you are pretty close, agent will generally tell you. 

It's a bit more difficult if you view first, as you've already wasted everyone's time, and more likely to annoy everyone involved.

Good advice. I did exactly this with my house when I bought it 6 years ago. 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
40 minutes ago, Dreamcasting said:

House prices will end up being the least of people's concerns judging by the way the GBP is going in one direction and oil in the other.

We're going to get absolutely clobbered this time, especially with Bailey in charge.

This stupid talk of rates peaking isn't helping. They'll have to keep raising rates to support GBP.

HOLA4417
9 hours ago, ftb_fml said:

Great news and as always I admire your insights @henry the king however I think this whole 25yr economic atrocity will have few winners, other than those who've hoovered up multiple properties and profited off the captial growth / exploitation of unwilling renters.

Price falls are modest so far and nowhere near back to anywhere sensible yet, while I don't consider the still-distant-hope of being able to actually buy somewhere to live at a sensible price after 10-15 years of my life being on hold through living at home / being rent-gouged to be winning..

The country wins if house prices fall vs earnings imo. Everyone in it wins too in the long term imo

HOLA4418
6 hours ago, fellow said:

Doubt it:

1. We can't afford it.

4. We can't afford it.

There will be gimmicks but nothing to make any difference.

Might not even be gimmicks. Nobody thought they would get rid of HTB. They didn't have to do that but they did. 

HOLA4419
3 hours ago, Dreamcasting said:

House prices will end up being the least of people's concerns judging by the way the GBP is going in one direction and oil in the other.

We're going to get absolutely clobbered this time, especially with Bailey in charge.

Another oil/petrol inflation shock will just usher in a big recession imo

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
21 hours ago, jevans said:

It's all ******ed from here, either interest rate keep going up which breaks the housing market due to affordability and mortgage lender continue to say here mate that ain't worth what you offered or rate drop because we're in recession and job loss and salary falls cause affordability to drop the housing market goes with it and mortgage lenders continue to say here mate that ain't worth what you offered.

Nice to be able to offer money you don;t have via those nice banks who create it from the debt you sign up to....

HOLA4425