House Price Crash Forum

Commercial RE is dead

HOLA441
2 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

I presume you mean that when certain individuals return to the office & still don't contribute anything that they will be fired?

Willingness to waste life commuting or waste money living near the workplace is no indicator of a person's usefulness / market value.  Actually its the opposite.

Remote working has shown who contributes and who just turns up for the proverbial tea and biscuits.  I see a personal correlation between what these groups look like and it's not what our usual loons think.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
4 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

I presume you mean that when certain individuals return to the office & still don't contribute anything that they will be fired?

Willingness to waste life commuting or waste money living near the workplace is no indicator of a person's usefulness / market value.  Actually its the opposite.

I think you make it mandatory.

and those without commitment who refuse to come will get all arsey and quit. Or you fire them, just make up something like ‘didn’t do a reasonable request - gross misconduct’ 

I think people will be much more willing to turn up if the alternative is being unemployed, with no easy jobs to jump to instead (due to recession) 

it’s an old tactic. Mess people about to thin out the herd. upset people into leaving.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA443
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA444

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/24/remote-employees-dont-work-as-hard-says-head-of-worlds-biggest-commercial-landlord

Despite the widespread adoption of hybrid working by most office-based employers since the pandemic, the KPMG CEO Outlook survey found 64% of leaders globally, and 63% of those in the UK, predicted a full return to in-office working by 2026.

🤣

HOLA445
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Lloyd’s of London strikes deal to remain in iconic HQ

Lloyd’s of London is on the brink of a long-term deal to remain in its landmark City headquarters until the 2040s after more than a year of negotiations with its Chinese landlord....had agreed as part of the deal to remove a break clause in the lease in 2026...The existing agreement, which was due to expire in 2031, will be replaced with a new one under which annual rent increases will range from 3% to 5%, the real estate sources added.

3 to 5% for the next 20 years?  Other tenants will be making notes.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Hedge fund Muddy Waters shorts Blackstone mortgage trust

The chief investment officer of US-based Muddy Waters, Carson Block, told the Sohn investment conference in London that there was “a lot of rot in its book”, and that many of the borrowers whose loans make up the trust’s holdings were in danger of being unable to make payments. He predicted that the trust would have to “substantially cut its dividend” in the middle of next year and was “at real risk of a liquidity crisis”.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
53 minutes ago, msi said:

Zara billionaire grabs chance to buy up discounted real estate

Zara’s billionaire founder Amancio Ortega is seizing on the commercial property downturn as a chance to buy assets on the cheap as high borrowing costs hand the advantage to debt-free investors.

No problem at all with people like this man buying stuff in cash without debt. 

Debt has ******ed up the world, allowing individuals without assets to borrow and buy properties using someone else’s money and having tenants paying their mortgages. BTL is the cancer killing the UK economy. 

If you have the money and you want to buy RE go for it. The problem is when “investors” were allowed to buy using leverage. This is the first time in the history of this country where a large proportion of “owners” is technically asset free and the only thing they can show is a rental contract and their debt servicing expenses. 

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, msi said:

Zara billionaire grabs chance to buy up discounted real estate

Zara’s billionaire founder Amancio Ortega is seizing on the commercial property downturn as a chance to buy assets on the cheap as high borrowing costs hand the advantage to debt-free investors.

"In the past month alone, Pontegadea has spent $113mn on a cold storage warehouse in the Miami area and €100mn on a distribution centre in the Netherlands used by Primark."
"Its real estate portfolio is concentrated in western Europe and North America, where its prize assets include the Adelphi building and Devonshire House in London, and Amazon’s Seattle headquarters."

Smart Money.

HOLA4414

Commercial property is a challenged market. They aren't going to roll over and die.

Following changes in legislation such property could be converted to supply units for the  housing and rental sector. That will drop private sector prices at a stroke, I can't for the life of me see why in an election year no party is proposing such a scheme..._

HOLA4415
5 minutes ago, DiggerUK said:

Commercial property is a challenged market. They aren't going to roll over and die.

Following changes in legislation such property could be converted to supply units for the  housing and rental sector. That will drop private sector prices at a stroke, I can't for the life of me see why in an election year no party is proposing such a scheme..._

Agreed, unless of course the government is intent on choking supply to avert a price correction. From what I have read, a lot of help to buy is already in negative equity.

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, DiggerUK said:

A lot of investors were hanging on last year to see where valuations were going  i.e see if there was a recovery in the wings.

From what I heard last week it looks like there's been a general acceptance it's not going to happen. Commercial real estate can only remain static for so long so looks like it's starting to unfreeze but it will ultimately end up with belt tightening and job losses.  

HOLA4417
1 hour ago, Casual-observer said:

A lot of investors were hanging on last year to see where valuations were going  i.e see if there was a recovery in the wings.

From what I heard last week it looks like there's been a general acceptance it's not going to happen. Commercial real estate can only remain static for so long so looks like it's starting to unfreeze but it will ultimately end up with belt tightening and job losses.  

aka the Market doing it's job...

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4418

It's starting to blow up:

NYCB shares down over 50% after only two (!) CRE loans went bad and it decided to slash the dividend and increase reserves by ninefold:

image.png.e24f1d50eb5afac5f6ce0e5ad3c9b735.png

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ny-community-bancorp-flashes-560-005309222.html

"The percentage of loans that banks have so far been reported as delinquent are a drop in the bucket compared to the defaults that will occur throughout 2024 and 2025,” said Aviram. “Banks remain exposed to these significant risks, and the potential decline in interest rates in the next year won’t solve bank problems."

HOLA4419

'The Xerox building in Washington DC just sold for $25 million. It was last purchased for $145 million just over a decade ago, in 2011. This reflects an 83% LOSS on the 19-story office building.' 

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
8 hours ago, Blobsy said:

'The Xerox building in Washington DC just sold for $25 million. It was last purchased for $145 million just over a decade ago, in 2011. This reflects an 83% LOSS on the 19-story office building.' 

Lmao with inflation the loss is 87%

If they'd just bought an index fund at 8% per year, that would be worth $404 million. 

So the loss is 94%

HOLA4422
4 minutes ago, Locke said:

Lmao with inflation the loss is 87%

If they'd just bought an index fund at 8% per year, that would be worth $404 million. 

So the loss is 94%

****** ‘em. 
These are the BTLs of the CRE. Property rental business, both in the commercial and residential landscape should be abolished. Only the state should built to rent at low prices. 

****** these rentiers. ****** the whole lot of them. They have destroyed the West. 

Edited by NoHPCinTheUK

HOLA4423
On 02/02/2024 at 21:04, NoHPCinTheUK said:

****** ‘em. 
These are the BTLs of the CRE. Property rental business, both in the commercial and residential landscape should be abolished. Only the state should built to rent at low prices. 

****** these rentiers. ****** the whole lot of them. They have destroyed the West. 

It is very advantageous for businesses to be able to rent property rather than buy it. It removes a barrier to entry, that being the upfront capital to purchase the property.

Just abolish planning permission and let poeple get on with what they need to.

The answer to the problem of "too much government interference" is not "more government interference".

HOLA4424

canary wharf building sold at 60% discount.

https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/1040341/canary-wharf-office-goes-for-knockdown-price-as-as-property-pressures-mount-1040341.html

An office in Canary Wharf has been sold for a 60% discount to its list price as commercial property in London suffers and investment banks cut back on staff.

The building, 5 Churchill Place was put up for sale last year when the owner, China’s Cheung Kei Group, defaulted on loans backed by the property.

Menomadin Group, the vehicle of Israeli tycoon Haim Taib, has agreed to buy the building for £110m, according to React News.

Cheung Kei paid £270m in 2017 having previously bought 20 Canada Square, another Canary Wharf site.

HOLA4425
36 minutes ago, regprentice said:

canary wharf building sold at 60% discount.

https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/1040341/canary-wharf-office-goes-for-knockdown-price-as-as-property-pressures-mount-1040341.html

An office in Canary Wharf has been sold for a 60% discount to its list price as commercial property in London suffers and investment banks cut back on staff.

The building, 5 Churchill Place was put up for sale last year when the owner, China’s Cheung Kei Group, defaulted on loans backed by the property.

Menomadin Group, the vehicle of Israeli tycoon Haim Taib, has agreed to buy the building for £110m, according to React News.

Cheung Kei paid £270m in 2017 having previously bought 20 Canada Square, another Canary Wharf site.

Interesting article. I believe we are going to see a tsunami of losses on commercial real estate globally as all these commercial loans are being rolled over on to these higher rates. WFH as crushed demand for office space and it is the banks who are the bag holders for these mortgages.