House Price Crash Forum

UK dwelling to habitants ratio lowest in Europe is this true?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

How big are the properties we/they build? 

They are counted in units added not size of living space added. 

I would guess (only my guess) that the dwellings we build would be quite small in comparison to many other countries. 

A house gets split into 4 tiny apartments so that adds three new completed dwellings to our total but the living space has not increased. 

Office blocks get converted into tiny studio and 1 beds. ( I have seen them as small as 300 sq.ft.) you cannot compare that to a 1000 sq.ft house and say they are the same. 

HOLA447
HOLA448
1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

What are the correct figures then?

Something like 416 for the Uk, 2.4 people per house. It’s about 2.5 for Poland which is about 400 so that seems roughly right. He might be using the numbers for England, that’s an easy mistake, but then again he evicts people for money so he could just be making up the numbers.

I’m not going to bother checking because the whole argument is nonsense. It’s nonsense even if you believe the lack of supply myth, but it does usefully illustrate how important that argument is to landlords.

Edited by BorrowToLeech

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
1 hour ago, Insane said:

How big are the properties we/they build? 

They are counted in units added not size of living space added. 

I would guess (only my guess) that the dwellings we build would be quite small in comparison to many other countries. 

A house gets split into 4 tiny apartments so that adds three new completed dwellings to our total but the living space has not increased. 

Office blocks get converted into tiny studio and 1 beds. ( I have seen them as small as 300 sq.ft.) you cannot compare that to a 1000 sq.ft house and say they are the same. 

519.jpg?width=300&quality=45&auto=format

Bit out of date, doubt it has got better. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
33 minutes ago, BorrowToLeech said:

Bit out of date, doubt it has got better. 

Thank you for posting. 

As I said it is not about number of dwellings it is about size. We are very small and I would guess we will carry on getting smaller as time goes by. 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
2 minutes ago, Insane said:

Thank you for posting. 

As I said it is not about number of dwellings it is about size. We are very small and I would guess we will carry on getting smaller as time goes by. 

The price of a house is related to the number of houses, the price per sq metre is a bit of a different issue. I’d say owning a home is more important than owning a decent home, but this is very much an ‘on fire and also riddled with plague’ type situation. 

HOLA4418
1 minute ago, Sandwiches33 said:

rough numbers but last time i looked at the data 12% of the uk was golf courses,28% woodland and 3.5% residential.  I might be wrong that was a while ago.

I live in one of the most densely populated part's of the UK on the edge of East London and Essex. 

Whenever I have flown out of Gatwick and Stanstead I am amazed at how much empty green space there is. A few times I have been on flights coming back in where we have had to circle for a while as we could not land. It is amazing to see how much space we do have. 

About 15 years ago I bid at a charity auction and won a flight for two on the London eye ( a small plane flying around London giving traffic reports) Even on the edges of London there is plenty of space. We flew in from Essex up to the city and then went south across the River to South London , very quickly the densely built up area of South London gave way to empty spaces. 

Yet whenever building on the Green Belt is mentioned the people have been conditioned to scream " No don't concrete over the south east there will be on green left"

HOLA4419
2 hours ago, Sandwiches33 said:

rough numbers but last time i looked at the data 12% of the uk was golf courses,28% woodland and 3.5% residential.  I might be wrong that was a while ago.

Not sure what data you looked at, but definitely complete rubbish.  More like 2% golf courses and 1% residential.  Always a bit higher when you look at England rather than the UK, as you cut out all the Scottish highlands where there isn't much of anything, even golf courses.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24378868

https://www.ft.com/content/79772697-54e4-32c9-96d7-5c1110270eb2

HOLA4420
3 hours ago, Insane said:

I live in one of the most densely populated part's of the UK on the edge of East London and Essex. 

Whenever I have flown out of Gatwick and Stanstead I am amazed at how much empty green space there is. A few times I have been on flights coming back in where we have had to circle for a while as we could not land. It is amazing to see how much space we do have. 

About 15 years ago I bid at a charity auction and won a flight for two on the London eye ( a small plane flying around London giving traffic reports) Even on the edges of London there is plenty of space. We flew in from Essex up to the city and then went south across the River to South London , very quickly the densely built up area of South London gave way to empty spaces. 

Yet whenever building on the Green Belt is mentioned the people have been conditioned to scream " No don't concrete over the south east there will be on green left"

You are right there is plenty of green and pleasant land, some could and should be built on......the green belt however is there for a reason, nobody wants urban sprawl, where London blends with St Albans or Watford.......better building around smaller new towns that satellite London.....or even better a bit further afield.....get it.;)

HOLA4421

Oh gawd, the usual tripe about "Britain's not criminally, horrendously overdeveloped" nonsense is being trotted out again. I sometimes wonder just what sense of their surroundings some people can possibly have.

To say that we've made such a bloody mess of things that more building is currently an extremely unpleasant but necessary evil is reasonable (and sadly true). And it has to go hand in hand with trying to ensure that that's it, an no more. To argue on the basis that it's not even an issue is utterly unforgiveable, and I'm disgusted by anyone who takes that position.

Development has already caused untold damage, and is a massive threat to the UK.

HOLA4422
4 hours ago, Insane said:

On the subject of flying if your learning to fly and trying to navigate using towns, villages and motorways etc and visual landmarks it becomes even more acute how small and sparse they are compared to what you might imagine. 

As we tend to spend time in the more built up area and less so the open space parts, we get the impression everything is built on.

HOLA4423