House Price Crash Forum

Tesla...............the Betamax of future cars?

HOLA441
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
17 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

The Fiat Coupe is on its way to becomming a modern classic and has an active owners club. You could try asking on their for recomendations.    

Mine's a VW - but I take the point about owners' clubs.  I've now asked on a forum.

I suspect my problem is not so much what I want... as the way that so many businesses are no-longer interested in delivering solutions to customer requirements... but, instead, seem to try and pick and choose the easiest work.

HOLA443
On 07/10/2023 at 19:46, A.steve said:

Mine's a VW - but I take the point about owners' clubs.  I've now asked on a forum.

I suspect my problem is not so much what I want... as the way that so many businesses are no-longer interested in delivering solutions to customer requirements... but, instead, seem to try and pick and choose the easiest work.

Sorry, not a random response I mixed your VW up with another posters Fiat. 

HOLA444

I now have 2 electric cars and have been driving electric for the last 5 years. My observation of Tesla is that it was considered a premium brand with the accompanying status. Since the release of the Tesla 3 and Y, they have moved into the mass market and are everywhere. I am not sure they will be able to maintain their relatively premium pricing when it's just another mid-range hatchback with a fairly plasticky-looking interior.  A few years ago 40-50k would have bought you a top-of-the-range BMW 3 / 5 series.

HOLA445

Edgewater plan to build a complex of 25 tower blocks with an EV bus garage in the basement. link

Electric bus station fire could turn high-rise homes into ‘volcano’, residents warn. Calls to scrap £1.7bn development in Edgware driven by fears of ‘thermal runaway’ under flats

However, Save Our Edgware, a community group, has warned that residents would be at “severe risk” from electric vehicle batteries igniting, leading to explosive combustion and multi-vehicle fires. In May last year, an entire fleet of electric buses was destroyed in a bus garage in Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, after one caught fire. In the same month, Paris’s transport operator withdrew 149 electric buses made by Bolloré Group’s Bluebus from operation after two ignited on separate occasions.

The perception of EVs wont be helped if its found that yesterdays Louton Airport fire was caused by one. link

HOLA446
8 minutes ago, regprentice said:

Edgewater plan to build a complex of 25 tower blocks with an EV bus garage in the basement. link

Electric bus station fire could turn high-rise homes into ‘volcano’, residents warn. Calls to scrap £1.7bn development in Edgware driven by fears of ‘thermal runaway’ under flats

However, Save Our Edgware, a community group, has warned that residents would be at “severe risk” from electric vehicle batteries igniting, leading to explosive combustion and multi-vehicle fires. In May last year, an entire fleet of electric buses was destroyed in a bus garage in Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, after one caught fire. In the same month, Paris’s transport operator withdrew 149 electric buses made by Bolloré Group’s Bluebus from operation after two ignited on separate occasions.

The perception of EVs wont be helped if its found that yesterdays Louton Airport fire was caused by one. link

BEV's are dead. Killed by insurers who having realised the slightest bump could cause damage to the battery leading to future fire risk are having to write off cars involved in even minor bumps. What use is a 'cheap' EV that costs you thousands to insure every year? If you can insure it at all...

Edited by daveyj

HOLA447
19 minutes ago, regprentice said:

If they're new flats can't people just not rent buy them? Or refuse them if social tenancy.

I wouldn't touch a high rise with a commercial garage😳 in the basement with a bargepole, EV or otherwise.  Effing stupid idea on many levels.

Yes people are desperate for a place, but staying alive & not becoming mentally ill due to noise & congestion 24/7, is higher up Maslow's hierarchy.

HOLA448

BBC News - Fire rips through car park at Luton Airport
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-67073446

There's going to be trouble in the car market if the investigation traces this back to a charging EV, EV or hybrid.

The car park itself being highly flammable though.. 🤔 never heard anything like that before, at least not anywhere with a modern, regulated economy.

HOLA449
13 minutes ago, hotblack42 said:

If they're new flats can't people just not rent buy them? Or refuse them if social tenancy.

Every council seems to gave different rules, were i used to live if you refused 3 offers of a house they would not house you. the first offer would always be the worst part of town, I suspect in a system like that this could would see these brand new flats as their third/best offer.

Nowadays councils seem to let people "bid" on properties every month like a lottery. perhaps in this case they would simply get less bids. 

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
13 minutes ago, hotblack42 said:

There's going to be trouble in the car market if the investigation traces this back to a charging EV, EV or hybrid.

The car park itself being highly flammable though.. 🤔 never heard anything like that before, at least not anywhere with a modern, regulated economy.

Exactly what I was thinking. I now hear part of the car park has collapsed. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1 hour ago, hotblack42 said:

If so this story is going to need some inspired narrative management especially as the mood on all things net zero has turned a bit.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
12 minutes ago, 14stFlyer said:

I thought this was a thread about Teslas, not about flammable hydrocarbons and Grenfell-like buildings?

My advice: keep your conspiracy theory nonsense to yourself.  

If you think this thread is derailed, its got nothing on the Israel & Palestine one.  Was criticised for trying to steer it back on topic!  I think some of the posters there are feeling a bit emotional.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
4 hours ago, daveyj said:

BEV's are dead. Killed by insurers who having realised the slightest bump could cause damage to the battery leading to future fire risk are having to write off cars involved in even minor bumps. What use is a 'cheap' EV that costs you thousands to insure every year? If you can insure it at all...

🤣🤣  That would be why their sales continue to increase so rapidly 

I recently renewed the insurance on my Model S Performance for £900 which seems like a bargain given I cover over 15,000m p.a. and it's still one of the quickest cars on the planet.

Tesla is rolling out its own insurance in the US cutting  out all the middle men and undercutting the insurance rates for a similar ICE.

HOLA4419

I do realise that the media is reporting that the fire started with a diesel car but if it was parked near/alongside electric vehicles and they caught fire,the fire would spread rapidly and the intensity of heat created would increase dramatically, this is probably the reason the multi storey carpark is damaged to such a extent .I'm sure all EV owners here have a electrical fire fighting extinguisher installed in your central console, if not ! Get one !

31370323-5f0f-431b-ba45-417dc10ebf572.jpeg.16babc64278096aed526a493d9cd360c.jpeg

Edited by Narvick Devil

HOLA4420
3 minutes ago, Narvick Devil said:

I do realise that the media is reporting that the fire started with a diesel car but if it was parked near/alongside electric vehicles and they caught fire,the fire would spread rapidly and the intensity of heat created would increase dramatically, this is probably the reason the multi storey carpark is damaged to such a extent .I'm sure all EV owners here have a electrical fire extinguisher (foam), if not ! Get one !

31370323-5f0f-431b-ba45-417dc10ebf572.jpeg.16babc64278096aed526a493d9cd360c.jpeg

A firefigher has said although it was started by a diesel there where alot of EV cars potentially involved quite early on.Which in turn with close proximity caused the rapid fire spread.

HOLA4421
5 minutes ago, Narvick Devil said:

I do realise that the media is reporting that the fire started with a diesel car but if it was parked near/alongside electric vehicles and they caught fire,the fire would spread rapidly and the intensity of heat created would increase dramatically, this is probably the reason the multi storey carpark is damaged to such a extent .I'm sure all EV owners here have a electrical fire fighting extinguisher (foam), if not ! Get one !

Never let the facts get in the way of a good yarn.

HOLA4422
30 minutes ago, Narvick Devil said:

I do realise that the media is reporting that the fire started with a diesel car but if it was parked near/alongside electric vehicles and they caught fire,the fire would spread rapidly and the intensity of heat created would increase dramatically, this is probably the reason the multi storey carpark is damaged to such a extent .I'm sure all EV owners here have a electrical fire fighting extinguisher (foam) installed in your central console, if not ! Get one !

There is actually less heat released from a burning EV than an ICE and in both cases the majority of the heat comes from burning plastics rather than the fuel source.

Why would I have a fire extinguisher in my EV, when it is 20 times less likely to be needed than in an ICE.

Edited by Confusion of VIs

HOLA4423
3 hours ago, Nabby81 said:

The fire service has said the fire started with a Diesal car that only recently entered the car park.Thats not to say things where made worse by an EV going up.

The structure has collapsed in the middle. 

I wonder if the part that’s collapsed will stop them from getting the rest of the cars (if undamaged) out ?

HOLA4424
41 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

There is actually less heat released from a burning EV than an ICE and in both cases the majority of the heat comes from burning plastics rather than the fuel source.

Why would I have a fire extinguisher in my EV, when it is 20 times less likely to be needed than in an ICE.

Don’t forget, according to Hatie Kocpins an EV weighs 3x more than an ICE vehicle.

HOLA4425
40 minutes ago, Sackboii said:

I wonder if the part that’s collapsed will stop them from getting the rest of the cars (if undamaged) out ?

Earlier report said they would put a ramp in place to remove untouched cars , but latest I saw was the structure is not safe so the whole thing inc cars is to be written off. The new DART train entrance is right next to the car park and that is still closed.

Airport is now open with roads reopened but its going to be a big job to fix this.