House Price Crash Forum

“We could sell but no one could afford to buy”

HOLA441

Decided this deserved it’s own thread….The last paragraph in particular.  Is Amanda Osborne bankrupt?  

“Amanda Osborne, who owns five buy-to-let properties on variable rate mortgages, told MailOnline: 'Our income hasn't increased by that much. And obviously we cannot increase our tenants rent by 89 per cent to match these increases and certainly not as rapidly as the interest rates have gone up. It's simply unaffordable on incomes as they are.

More interest rate increases, which seem inevitable given the BofE approach to this mess, is simply not affordable.

So we are in a situation where we could sell but no one can afford to buy or we increase tenants rent so that it is unaffordable and they can't pay?”

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11255321/Mortgage-market-turmoil-continues-HSBC-Santander-suspend-new-deals-Nationwide-hikes-rates.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

So you're not in a position to sell then are you Mandy?

One very quick tweak to your expectations will change that though! Immediately.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Nobody wants to work anymore.....

Nobody wants to buy homes anymore.... :( 

Excellent news for me, my wife and young daughter. Mortgage overpaid 2008 - now, £900 left to go. No MEW'ing, no credit card debts, store cards etc. Nice car on PCP, both work so wife allowed a luxury to go with her horse.

Hopefully some bargains to be had for my daughter in the next decade.

HOLA447

This is a VERY important thread.

I hope it doesn't get buried.

This is exactly what's happened in the US.

The real-estate market has split into 4 groups.

1. People who have 30 year mortgages at 1% fixed and can't afford to move up (mortgage rate now 7%) so they don't sell.
  2. First time buyers who have jobs and deposits but have been priced out of mortgages @ 7% so they can't afford to buy.
  3. Old people with no mortgages who are ready to sell now and can discount HARD.
  4. Relatively small group of cash buyers (HPC forum types) sitting with mega cash sums on the sidelines.

#3 plus divorce are starting to hit the market now hard and fast.

#4 are starting to get BIG discounts.

It took a little time.

The reality is that #3 + divorce is providing vastly more than enough inventory than #4 can ever scoop up.

Soon it will be #3 + divorce + repossessions ... things get real spicy.

#1 and #2? They're fukked, forget about them for about 5 years.

Edited by TerryBoi

HOLA448
54 minutes ago, Mancunian284 said:

Decided this deserved it’s own thread….The last paragraph in particular.  Is Amanda Osborne bankrupt?  

“Amanda Osborne, who owns five buy-to-let properties on variable rate mortgages, told MailOnline: 'Our income hasn't increased by that much. And obviously we cannot increase our tenants rent by 89 per cent to match these increases and certainly not as rapidly as the interest rates have gone up. It's simply unaffordable on incomes as they are.

More interest rate increases, which seem inevitable given the BofE approach to this mess, is simply not affordable.

So we are in a situation where we could sell but no one can afford to buy or we increase tenants rent so that it is unaffordable and they can't pay?”

:lol: 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
57 minutes ago, Mancunian284 said:

Whack em in to auction with no reserve.

Time and tested way to shift over priced prole palace chitboxes.

HOLA4411
4 minutes ago, TerryBoi said:

1. People who have 30 year mortgages at 1% fixed and can't afford to move up (mortgage rate now 7%) so they don't sell.
  2. First time buyers who have jobs and deposits but have been priced out of mortgages @ 7% so they can't afford to buy.
  3. Old people with no mortgages who are ready to sell now and can discount HARD.
  4. Relatively small group of cash buyers (HPC forum types) sitting with mega cash sums on the sidelines.

It took a little time.

The reality is that #3 + #4 is providing vastly more than enough inventory than #4 can ever scoop up.

Yep, I mentioned this on a prior thread.

Financial divorce agreements made in a low interest rate world are now being blown out of the water, some going back as far as 5 years or more. 

A lot women who bought out their men to 'get the house' will find it's a millstone around their necks for the rest of their lives.

Plus you'll be seeing a lot of divorced men already doing the maths and realising how fruitless it is to stick around paying half a mortgage on a house  he's going to get nothing out of. Some will be better off going on the dole and declaring bankruptcy 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
15 minutes ago, TerryBoi said:

It took a little time.

The reality is that #3 + divorce is providing vastly more than enough inventory than #4 can ever scoop up.

Number 3, meet number 4 ;)

and.....

HPC Types.jpg

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
13 minutes ago, TerryBoi said:

It took a little time.

You forgot #5 which was the most common in the 1990s. Mortgage holder gets behind on mortgage. Bank repossesses house and sells it to the first person to offer more than the amount they are owned. That really hammered prices as the only properties selling were repossessions.

p.s. Unlike the U.S.A. the U.K. has never had "jingle mail" (hand the keys back and walk away from your debt) so that isn't even an option. 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
21 minutes ago, TerryBoi said:

It took a little time.

It's like water to a concrete dam.

Sooner or later, it wiggles in.

HOLA4420
38 minutes ago, TerryBoi said:

It took a little time.

I think sellers are stubborn and it will take a while here too.  

My expectations are a stalled market - sellers still listing at sky high prices for the next few months.  Lots of mumsnet threads with the title “why won’t my house sell?”.  They won’t sell and then eventually, those that have to sell will start cutting asking prices.  

Expecting asking price drops on forced sales from about January.  

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
5 minutes ago, Mancunian284 said:

I think sellers are stubborn and it will take a while here too.  

My expectations are a stalled market - sellers still listing at sky high prices for the next few months.  Lots of mumsnet threads with the title “why won’t my house sell?”.  They won’t sell and then eventually, those that have to sell will start cutting asking prices.  

Expecting asking price drops on forced sales from about January.  

Estate agents won't be letting people hang around for 4 months, they need to pay their own bills.  I can imagine a hell of a lot of tough conversations have already begun this week between switched on estate agents and sellers. People need to smell the coffee, the party is over. 

I expect supply to reduce a fair bit initially hoping for stability but on the flip side they can't hang round.

Zero-hedge pointed out that 26% of uk mortgages are on variables, people cannot hang around for long. 

37% are on 2 year fixed. 

Many homes will be going to auction regardless and other sellers will be under court orders from divorce settlements to sell. 

The clocks ticking 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
10 minutes ago, Casual-observer said:

Estate agents won't be letting people hang around for 4 months, they need to pay their own bills.  I can imagine a hell of a lot of tough conversations have already begun this week between switched on estate agents and sellers. People need to smell the coffee, the party is over. 

I expect supply to reduce a fair bit initially hoping for stability but on the flip side they can't hang round.

Zero-hedge pointed out that 26% of uk mortgages are on variables, people cannot hang around for long. 

37% are on 2 year fixed. 

Many homes will be going to auction regardless and other sellers will be under court orders from divorce settlements to sell. 

The clocks ticking 

I’m not sure that many estate agents are switched on.  They’ve had to do nothing to sell a house for years, meaning estate agents are full of incompetent staff.  

HOLA4425