House Price Crash Forum

“How the hell” (Food Banks)

HOLA441
28 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

Winkie you are getting illegible. I'm sorry that is a stream of conscious post and its getting increasingly hard to read.

You basically said people should save 10% - that is something that exact person I mentioned berated poorer people who can't save with and yes its punching down massively. If you don't like that person perhaps think how you've adopted something she said. Its not a divisive tactic its fact. You've spouted a very divisive on high position.

10% is not a good ball park figure because for many that's an impossibility as I've said.

You are in a food bank thread what the hell do you think they can save or gives you the impression they are getting overpriced food?

I'm sorry but all this wonderful theory of people should be savers and can cut back massively and they'd have a much more wonderful life is bunkum. There are excessive spenders who TV loves to show the transformation on, but in the real world with real people there is a large chunk of society living month to month having already trimmed everything back. 

If they could have a big rainy day fund I'm sure they'd love it just like many would love not scraping by. I'm sure the food bank users would love not to be using them.

I'm sorry but to a large chunk of society your 10% figure is just supremely out of touch and quite insulting. That is what is truly divisive and most definitely not helpful. I imagine if you stood at the food bank telling people they should get into the habit of saving & saving 10% you might get a dose of reality.

Ordinarily I like your posts but Jesus this is just wildly out of touch.

Go back to page 1 

"The lady at the Poole food bank summed up the situation perfectly  - “£1600 per month coming in, £1300 going out on rent, How the hell are people supposed to make ends meet”? "

Now view that 10% saving comment in that context. Hopefully you will get it and why your comment sounds so crass

Obviously those that visit food banks cannot save 10% of nothing........my point is for those that can if lucky enough to work for those that value and reward hard work should save up to what they can afford, 10% is a medium figure.......better than paying 10% of income on debt interest on a credit card......what has Jesus got to do with anything,not another name dropper......do me a favour.;)

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
1 hour ago, winkie said:

Obviously those that visit food banks cannot save 10% of nothing........my point is for those that can if lucky enough to work for those that value and reward hard work should save up to what they can afford, 10% is a medium figure.......better than paying 10% of income on debt interest on a credit card......what has Jesus got to do with anything,not another name dropper......do me a favour.;)

Winkie you are in a food bank thread - you have gone off on one now - Jesus is an expression of incredulity - if you think its a name drop you are really in trouble.

You have made some bizarre posts now

If its so obvious people in a food bank can't save 10% then don't bloody post about people should save in a food bank thread, or you might just end up compared to people you don't like who do share such opinions and regularly punch down.

I still think even this response is full of out of touch phrases and it really does you no credit at all. In fact I have lost a lot of respect for you that you'd be so blasé as to stick a post like this in such a thread and not realise how condescending it would appear.

In 2016 10% saving was being called a pipe dream for many and Martin Lewis was saving such figures would be incredibly hard and desirabke but often unatainable.

Honestly don't know why you'd throw this into this thread at all

Edited by Staffsknot

HOLA443

‘Holiday hunger’: inflation adds to family strain as UK schools break for summer

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jul/23/holiday-hunger-summer-break-extra-financial-strain-uk-families

The pressure on household finances means food banks are reporting soaring demand for holiday care packages. On Friday, the Central England Co-op food bank launched an urgent appeal for groceries such as UHT milk, pasta sauce and tinned vegetables as donations slump across the sector just as more people are asking for help.

Price increases in this area are startling: the average price of a pint of milk is now 55p, 13p more than a year ago, while a 500g container of spreadable butter costs just under £4, roughly 70p more than a year ago. Cheddar cheese is nearly £7 a kilogram, up from about £6.20. It all adds up to a predicted £454 increase in the average annual grocery bill.

We find that it’s the families where both parents are working hard that are hit hardest,” says Stanford. “They often need to find extra money for holiday childcare and additional meals. These are people the school helps during term, maybe with uniforms, trips or from their discretionary funds, but don’t get free school meals.”

HOLA444

Talk about twist in the tail. Poole food bank back on the news this evening, this time warning that now they are on the verge of bankruptcy. The cost of retail rent and the increases in utility costs are pushing them to the limit. They are a registered charity, but still have costs they’re struggling with, and this against a massive increase in people registering to use the facility.

HOLA445
6 minutes ago, MarkD said:

Talk about twist in the tail. Poole food bank back on the news this evening, this time warning that now they are on the verge of bankruptcy. The cost of retail rent and the increases in utility costs are pushing them to the limit. They are a registered charity, but still have costs they’re struggling with, and this against a massive increase in people registering to use the facility.

The foodbanks that we, indirectly, support is also struggling. 10 years ago they were buying in £800 of food to supplement the donations. This year so far £35,000. There’s a fairly big network of donors so they should be OK .

HOLA446
11 hours ago, Nick Cash said:

The foodbanks that we, indirectly, support is also struggling. 10 years ago they were buying in £800 of food to supplement the donations. This year so far £35,000. There’s a fairly big network of donors so they should be OK .

Oh the irony, even the food banks are on the brink of collapse, what does that say.

HOLA447
HOLA448
On 23/07/2022 at 20:27, PeanutButter said:

‘Holiday hunger’: inflation adds to family strain as UK schools break for summer

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jul/23/holiday-hunger-summer-break-extra-financial-strain-uk-families

The pressure on household finances means food banks are reporting soaring demand for holiday care packages. On Friday, the Central England Co-op food bank launched an urgent appeal for groceries such as UHT milk, pasta sauce and tinned vegetables as donations slump across the sector just as more people are asking for help.

Price increases in this area are startling: the average price of a pint of milk is now 55p, 13p more than a year ago, while a 500g container of spreadable butter costs just under £4, roughly 70p more than a year ago. Cheddar cheese is nearly £7 a kilogram, up from about £6.20. It all adds up to a predicted £454 increase in the average annual grocery bill.

We find that it’s the families where both parents are working hard that are hit hardest,” says Stanford. “They often need to find extra money for holiday childcare and additional meals. These are people the school helps during term, maybe with uniforms, trips or from their discretionary funds, but don’t get free school meals.”

If your working do you get the cost of living bungs from the gov? Working for a low income is a mugs game in this country, better putting your feet up

HOLA449
1 hour ago, winkie said:

How much are farmers, suppliers, supermarkets and households still wasting?........tons of edible nutritional food.;)

In fairness I think food banks were established to make use of 'surplus' food.

HOLA4410

Less people are able to donate. Supermarkets are fine tuning supply chains to keep costs down meaning less surplus to pass on. More people want to receive. All of which has happened in the last few years and mostly over the last 6 months.

You would hope all foodbanks are supplied with free electricity. Our local one is. Maybe the one in Poole is not run efficiently yet as previously there was no need.

HOLA4411

Depends on your situation if you have children or not. 

A family of 2 adults and 2 children with 1 adult working 20 hours a week can do very nicely with tax credits, housing benefit and the other help like free prescriptions on offer. People without children or those with children who earn just outside the threshold for help are the ones who get mugged. 

HOLA4412
On 23/07/2022 at 14:27, PeanutButter said:

Usual sob story in the Guardian. Single mother of four. Family with five children. Why have so many kids?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
9 minutes ago, A17 said:

Usual sob story in the Guardian. Single mother of four. Family with five children. Why have so many kids?

What they didn’t say was that the father died heroically saving the third born. Prior to that he was a successful entrepreneur.

Does that make you feel better?

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, A17 said:

Oh thats clever - thats an inversion to the usual DM hate story.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4416