House Price Crash Forum

‘Biggest ever cancer catastrophe' as up to 740,000 potential patients missed

fellow

HOLA441

https://www.mylondon.news/news/health/biggest-ever-cancer-catastrophe-up-22326928

Although there is no doubt that lockdowns saved a few tens of thousands of people dying from COVID, it is now becoming increasingly clear that many more lives will end up being lost as a result of lockdowns than have been saved. I can't find any mention of this on the BBC or mainscream media, I assume because it does not fit in with their pro lockdown agenda?

HOLA442
14 minutes ago, fellow said:

Although there is no doubt that lockdowns saved a few tens of thousands of people dying from COVID, it is now becoming increasingly clear that many more lives will end up being lost as a result of lockdowns than have been saved. I can't find any mention of this on the BBC or mainscream media, I assume because it does not fit in with their pro lockdown agenda?

I think lockdowns saved more than that.  Early estimates were up to 500,000 - remember without the lockdowns the hospitals would have been clogged with Covid patients so these cancer patients may have died anyway IN ADDITION to a greater number of Covid ones.

I don’t think it’s clear cut what the position would be.  What is clear though is that there are significant health costs to lockdowns that must be carefully weighed up before entertaining thoughts of another one.

HOLA443
HOLA444
15 minutes ago, Shrink Proof said:

Please explain why this is in the forum titled "House Prices and the Economy".

Seriously? You can't find a link between potentially hundreds of thousands of extra people getting seriously ill / dying, and "House Prices and the Economy"?

HOLA445

I have been to the cancer unit at barts and it so busy due to not seeing or restrictions during lockdown proper 

PS I think we owe a big thanks to Philippino nurses

HOLA446
32 minutes ago, Shrink Proof said:

Please explain why this is in the forum titled "House Prices and the Economy".

Did you click on this thread just to post something implying it isn’t relevant?

If so is that a better use of time than just scrolling past topics not of interest…?

HOLA447
HOLA448
6 hours ago, fellow said:

https://www.mylondon.news/news/health/biggest-ever-cancer-catastrophe-up-22326928

Oh yeah because having no lockdown and flooding the NHS with Covid patients would have clearly meant that cancer services could have continued. Wow what an insight. Thank you. 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
11 hours ago, fellow said:

Sister had some selling around the lymph glands which, as she had a lumpectomy a couple of years ago, led to the NHS to kick into gear. Done and dusted in 6 weeks. Seen consultant, got head and shoulder scan and seen the consultant again, all clear.

They might be struggling in London but in Tayside they can't be faulted!

HOLA4411
9 hours ago, AThirdWay said:

Sister had some selling around the lymph glands which, as she had a lumpectomy a couple of years ago, led to the NHS to kick into gear. Done and dusted in 6 weeks. Seen consultant, got head and shoulder scan and seen the consultant again, all clear.

They might be struggling in London but in Tayside they can't be faulted!

Have a relative that had had localised stage 1 cancer before Covid, more cancer was diagnosed in a screening during Covid and he was operated on quickly.

I think the problem is actually if you are not already in the system and known as a risk, then you would have been in trouble.

HOLA4412
On 03/12/2021 at 13:33, fellow said:

A Covid-19 patient will occupy an ICU bed for about two weeks. That is enough for ten heart operations.

HOLA4413
On 03/12/2021 at 19:31, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Oh yeah because having no lockdown and flooding the NHS with Covid patients would have clearly meant that cancer services could have continued. Wow what an insight. Thank you. 

My point is we should think very carefully before locking down again because it costs lives. it was probably the right thing to do early in the pandemic but now we are fully vaccinated and have a good level of herd immunity, the cost of lockdowns would far outweigh the benefit

HOLA4414
On 04/12/2021 at 10:12, reddog said:

Have a relative that had had localised stage 1 cancer before Covid, more cancer was diagnosed in a screening during Covid and he was operated on quickly.

I think the problem is actually if you are not already in the system and known as a risk, then you would have been in trouble.

A fair point, cancer survivors will probably have a high risk assessment. Best wishes to your relative.

Archived