House Price Crash Forum

Shock Poll: Labour Just TWO Points Behind Tories

HOLA441
5 minutes ago, ticket2ride said:

It's goodbye from him. Did you shed a tear ?, @Warlord?

I listened to him a few times but got tired of him ... Funny thing is I have only voted twice in my life and they were both for Farage in 99 and in 2019 because under the PR system in the European elections the vote counts. (I didn't vote in the referendum in the end)

I think Farage has served his purpose anyway which is why he's being dumped.

Edited by Warlord

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
7 minutes ago, Warlord said:

I listened to him a few times but got tired of him ... Funny thing is I have only voted twice in my life and they were both for Farage in 99 and in 2019 because under the PR system in the European elections the vote counts. (I didn't vote in the referendum in the end)

I think Farage has served his purpose anyway which is why he's being dumped.

You voted for a Brexit MEP? ?

Surely Farage is too egotistical to just disappear. His Dover stunts are pretty lame though. Think he's struggling to stay "relevant".

Showed Trump that being openly racist was a vote winner. What a legacy.

HOLA443
Just now, ticket2ride said:

You voted for a Brexit MEP? ?

Surely Farage is too egotistical to just disappear. His Dover stunts are pretty lame though. Think he's struggling to stay "relevant".

Showed Trump that being openly racist was a vote winner. What a legacy.

Yes I voted for them like millions as a protest really. That was the whole point of Nigel. He was a throne in the side of both the Tories and 'New' Labour.  

HOLA444
On 09/06/2020 at 21:13, scottbeard said:

It’s impossible to predict the 2024 general election, and silly to imagine the result of an election in 15-19 years time is already decided.

They will be dominated by issues we have no idea about right now.

19 years ago 9/11, the credit crunch, Brexit and Coronavirus were not ideas most people could have contemplated.

Good point, but without knowing all the issues to come I think we can predict they will be unpopular. I remember after 1997 everyone expected the Conservatives to perform poorly for several elections. I imagine it was similar after Michael Foot. People weren't predicting the next  10-15 years, but they thought it would take a long time to become credible again.

HOLA445
19 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Yes I voted for them like millions as a protest really. That was the whole point of Nigel. He was a throne in the side of both the Tories and 'New' Labour.  

The point of him was Brexit, obviously. But he did a great job of playing the bloke down the pub and provided the blueprint for harnessing casual racism. I guess now is not a good time to be a known racist.

Looking back at the 2015 GE when the Kippers got a couple of million votes but only 1 MP,  that probably allowed resentment to fester. The rest is history. ?

HOLA446
1 minute ago, ticket2ride said:

The point of him was Brexit, obviously. But he did a great job of playing the bloke down the pub and provided the blueprint for harnessing casual racism. I guess now is not a good time to be a known racist.

Looking back at the 2015 GE when the Kippers got a couple of million votes but only 1 MP,  that probably allowed resentment to fester. The rest is history. ?

I think Farage did a good job sticking it to them in the European Parliament that's why I voted for him.IHe did a good job for 20 years now he's struggling to remain relevant . I think a career in the US beckons for him.

HOLA447
3 minutes ago, Warlord said:

I think Farage did a good job sticking it to them in the European Parliament that's why I voted for him.IHe did a good job for 20 years now he's struggling to remain relevant . I think a career in the US beckons for him.

You think the US would be interested in a washed up, racist English stock broker? As you know, they have plenty of home grown right wing commentators to serve them up their daily bile.

HOLA448
On 07/06/2020 at 16:28, Simhadri said:

Mr Stammer is no match for Boris. We will see couple more Labour leaders before Blair 2.0 emerges from Corbyn's backside.

I agree with the first part but I think Starmer might just be Blair reincarnate, with a few minor tweaks - we're there already. He'll be popular in the south but doubt he'll have much appeal at all in the north, given his anti-brexitism. I can't stand him because he was in charge of the CPS when they bullied Sweden into continuing to lie about Julian Assange. If push came to shove I would vote for Johnson over Starmer. Can't believe I'm saying that but then 'I can't believe I'm saying that' is something I seem to say an awful lot these days.

HOLA449
1 minute ago, ticket2ride said:

You think the US would be interested in a washed up, racist English stock broker? As you know, they have plenty of home grown right wing commentators to serve them up their daily bile.

He is very friendly with Trump and his lackey's .  He will do well in terms of speaking and media I think They love the accent and the novelty .

Edited by Warlord

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Just now, Bruce Banner said:

You really think the BJ regime is up to the job of running the country?

Maybe, maybe not but the last election was pretty much single-issue, despite the msm spin, and we need to respect the results of it. They were voted in to get us out of the EU and that needs to happen as a priority or we'll end up with blood on the streets. Starmer is dead set against that. I'm not sure anybody would have been 'up to' dealing with whatever covid is. I definitely don't want Starmer's labour party in charge, we'll be waging more wars before you can say Jack Robinson.

HOLA4413
On 10/06/2020 at 07:17, zugzwang said:

You forgot that Jezza came within 2,500 votes of winning the 2017 GE.

He did say he'd respect the Brexit vote. Lots of people would have voted for that, it's a popular position.

Then he changed his mind. How is that 2,500 votes worked out BTW? I'd like to see how it compares with 2019, due to his treachery.

HOLA4414
4 minutes ago, North London Rent Girl said:

Maybe, maybe not but the last election was pretty much single-issue, despite the msm spin, and we need to respect the results of it. They were voted in to get us out of the EU and that needs to happen as a priority or we'll end up with blood on the streets. Starmer is dead set against that. I'm not sure anybody would have been 'up to' dealing with whatever covid is. I definitely don't want Starmer's labour party in charge, we'll be waging more wars before you can say Jack Robinson.

And that is exactly the problem. We have a cabinet hand picked to deliver Brexit, that is their prime objective. What they should be doing is to extend the transition period, put Brexit negotiations on hold, and concentrate on saving lives rather than using C19 as a means to drive through a hard Brexit.

HOLA4415
Just now, Bruce Banner said:

And that is exactly the problem. We have a cabinet hand picked to deliver Brexit, that is their prime objective. What they should be doing is to extend the transition period, put Brexit negotiations on hold, and concentrate on saving lives rather than using C19 as a means to drive through a hard Brexit.

OK, well, we disagree. Covid appears to have the same death rate as a nasty flu bug and has been made far too much of. The devastation has been caused by the response, which is something that Johnson was browbeaten into by dodgy characters like Neil Ferguson. I am one of those people who is very suspicious of the whole business. We need to end the lockdown and crack on with our lives.

As for brexit, I did not start out, pre-referendum, as a brexiteer but I am now one for constitutional reasons. It has gone on for far too long and we need to get out. Besides which, the EU is in real trouble, it looks like the euro might well be for the high-jump and in the long-term it is likely to benefit us to be out. I don't get the fear because I've been working with clients who are outside the EU all my working life. Outside the EU is most of the world, lest we forget. And god knows what would happen if they had referenda in France, Italy, Greece and Spain at the moment, we'd probably see a lot of '-exit' results.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
On 09/06/2020 at 07:09, Warlord said:

So who really RUNS the country?

I don't think for one minute think Boris runs the country..  The country is really ran by the special interests/VI's. Civil servants is my guess along with shadowy  figures..

Think about it. Boris doesn't run the country. He is merely a figurehead. The powers that be would never let someone like Johnson run sh*t!

I don't know exactly who they are. They operate in the shadows but I just know most of the decisions are made by them and not some politician. Cummings is also a mid level staffer. He doesn't run anything either and probably knows nothing .

What do you think ?  Am I crazy?

Not crazy at all, you're in good company, or at least a lot of company! We know that the intelligence services were working to get rid of the labour government in the 70s. It does look like if the ostensible government takes a sideways step (Brexit?) the permanent state or whatever you want to call it goes into action.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
39 minutes ago, ticket2ride said:

Zelo Street is suggesting Mr Thirsty was pushed out because his unsavoury race-war comments were embarrassing LBC/Global Media's efforts to promote BLM causes.

HOLA4420
22 minutes ago, Huggy said:

He did say he'd respect the Brexit vote. Lots of people would have voted for that, it's a popular position.

Then he changed his mind. How is that 2,500 votes worked out BTW? I'd like to see how it compares with 2019, due to his treachery.

Agreed, he might have won if he'd stuck to that but he was between a rock and a hard place - broadly speaking, lose the north or lose the southern cities. He picked the southern cities, it looks like under huge pressure not least from the parliamentary party. I think by doing so he relegated the labour party to opposition for a couple of rounds to come and the fact that Starmer is highly palatable to the south is not going to make up for that. Even if his blairish charms win over some southern tories, the north won't fall for him, they withstood the anti-brexit propaganda onslaught and are the wiser for it.

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, North London Rent Girl said:

I agree with the first part but I think Starmer might just be Blair reincarnate, with a few minor tweaks - we're there already. He'll be popular in the south but doubt he'll have much appeal at all in the north, given his anti-brexitism. I can't stand him because he was in charge of the CPS when they bullied Sweden into continuing to lie about Julian Assange. If push came to shove I would vote for Johnson over Starmer. Can't believe I'm saying that but then 'I can't believe I'm saying that' is something I seem to say an awful lot these days.

Sedgefield is not going to turn Red anytime soon.

Labour needs hard lesson as usual to get their act together.

The prospect of a Labour government raising taxes itself scares many voters in marginal seats.

They've lost credibility for many years.

I resisted the urge to vote Tory last time as I couldn't stand Corbyn.

So voted SNP. Atleast they did well in Scotland. 

HOLA4422
48 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Choosing not to respect the Brexit vote was a calamitous mistake for Labour. All the more so given Corbs' longstanding Eurosceptic credentials.

2,227 votes in half-a-dozen marginal seats. The greatest Prime Minister we never had!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/corbyn-election-results-votes-away-prime-minister-theresa-may-hung-parliament-a7782581.html

HOLA4423
On 10/06/2020 at 11:04, Warlord said:

I believe under current system it would be very close. However the tories are going to update the boundaries which should favour them more (currently it is tilted towards Labour i think ) 

So i have no idea. What we do know is that people are looking at Labour as a viable alternative government. That's just my observation as an independent (I do not support either of them and I don;t vote!) 

Of people who follow the news, the floating voters have floated to Starmer with a few outraged conservatives in tow. 

For those who don't, I don't think Starmer has yet made his mark.

The swing seems to have happened with quite dramatic speed but then we are in extreme circumstances and Corbyn was successfully demonised.

HOLA4424
6 minutes ago, pig said:

Of people who follow the news, the floating voters have floated to Starmer with a few outraged conservatives in tow. 

For those who don't, I don't think Starmer has yet made his mark.

The swing seems to have happened with quite dramatic speed but then we are in extreme circumstances and Corbyn was successfully demonised.

Yeah well we're years away from a GE and Starmer is still unknown but he is very savvy and friendly. People will see more of him in the coming years. I think he will do well.  To be at 38% barely a few months into your leadership  is pretty good going i'd suggest.

HOLA4425
31 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Choosing not to respect the Brexit vote was a calamitous mistake for Labour. All the more so given Corbs' longstanding Eurosceptic credentials.

2,227 votes in half-a-dozen marginal seats. The greatest Prime Minister we never had!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/corbyn-election-results-votes-away-prime-minister-theresa-may-hung-parliament-a7782581.html

Ah right, thanks for that. Disagree with the greatest Prime Minister bit, but that's a close call!

Actually, according to the article, TM was only 287 votes away from a workable majority ? I'm going to find out who they were ?