Shock Poll: Labour Just TWO Points Behind Tories

HOLA441
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
3 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

It'll swing back the other way if some prominent Labour figures make a blunder, although that looks rather less likely under Starmer than it would've been with Corbyn.

I'd be amazed if Starmer doesn't walk the next GE tbh. And the next 2 or 3 after that.

We've buggered the country up massively and won't be easily forgiven for it.

HOLA443
52 minutes ago, byron78 said:

I do not. I was merely pointing out how easy it'd be to spin it negatively if it had been a Labour government!

I'm astonished given how awful it's been that they still have a poll lead. I would struggle with 10 positive things they've achieved (seems reasonable - one a year).

Ah OK - that makes sense, sorry! Yes, "Strong and Stable" indeed. It is hard to think of a more chaotic period in recent history, pretty much all of it self imposed. I'm not sure what Corbyn would have done with Covid tbh, and not sure I'd want to. One thing is for sure though - if they'd launched the various furlough schemes they'd be getting plenty of stick from the right. God only knows what the next ten years have in store, but it is hard to feel positive about just about anything.

HOLA444
HOLA445
51 minutes ago, byron78 said:

I'd be amazed if Starmer doesn't walk the next GE tbh. And the next 2 or 3 after that.

We've buggered the country up massively and won't be easily forgiven for it.

No.  I want the Tories in for the next 10 years. I want them, their Right Wing backers, and their supporting media to take the full brunt of this and Brexit.  Labour need to be good enough to give them a sub 20 majority - enough to leave the Tories accountable, but always under the threat of a major commons rebellion.

Demographics will mean that the same voters that cry about Red Labour, Tax n Spend, Winter of Discontent are replaced with a voter block that only knows Brexit, Austerity, and House price debt. 

Then you get the impetus to drive real change - to look at the Social Contract and what it means. I wish I could be around to see the results.

HOLA446
HOLA447
3 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Get up early if you want to hear what Starmer has to say.  Not sure i I'll tune in but some of you might want to? @zugzwang @ticket2ride

www.lbc.co.uk  you can listen there i think.

Thanks @Warlord

I don't listen to LBC but I've heard that James O'Brien is very good. Is Nick Ferrari still on there? He talks some cobblers doesn't he?

SKS has taken the hedge fund shilling so the PLP is headed back to Nu Labour isn't it? Would still be better than Cummings/Johnson though.

HOLA448
Just now, ticket2ride said:

Thanks @Warlord

I don't listen to LBC but I've heard that James O'Brien is very good. Is Nick Ferrari still on there? He talks some cobblers doesn't he?

SKS has taken the hedge fund shilling so the PLP is headed back to Nu Labour isn't it? Would still be better than Cummings/Johnson though.

Don't listen often but James O'Brien is on from 10 so if you tune in tomorrow from 9 you will be in heaven :P

I don't agree much with O;Brien though i follow him on twitter because I like to listen to all sides. I think that's important.

HOLA449
3 hours ago, mattyboy1973 said:

... Have you watched any PMQs since Keir became Labour leader? Boris is finally getting shown up for what he is; a lazy, incompentent pseudo intellectual waste of space. I don't think he'll make it to the next election but I do think that Keir will. Labout would have won either of the last two elections easily with him at the helm.... 

I'd agree with that, but I genuinely don't think that's landing with the public. In the press, on the telly, on the Internet starmer comes across as pretty dull and hasn't really don't anything of note since he came in. 

He's not bad, but he's pretty uncharismatic and not going to rouse the huddles masses of labour supporters. I'd agree with Simhadri that there may be another one or two people in that job by the next election. 

HOLA4410
2 hours ago, msi said:

No.  I want the Tories in for the next 10 years. I want them, their Right Wing backers, and their supporting media to take the full brunt of this and Brexit.  Labour need to be good enough to give them a sub 20 majority - enough to leave the Tories accountable, but always under the threat of a major commons rebellion.

Demographics will mean that the same voters that cry about Red Labour, Tax n Spend, Winter of Discontent are replaced with a voter block that only knows Brexit, Austerity, and House price debt. 

Then you get the impetus to drive real change - to look at the Social Contract and what it means. I wish I could be around to see the results.

Agree

HOLA4411
3 hours ago, msi said:

Sub-20 majority? No thank you, that was TM and our nightmares.

A mid-term drop, in 2027 or something like that, to a 50 majority or something should sort them out until a 2035 loss, as would be expected after such a hood run.

<waits for Slawek's colourful graph showing 'stuff'>

"Nice, thank you"

1 hour ago, ticket2ride said:

Thanks @Warlord

James was one of the Remainers that I didn't pay attention to in the run up his crushing defeat in December, but his salt was well worth harvesting after.

"we are defeated, vanquished, overcome"

That was on 13 December, 2019, 3.5 years after the Brexit vote.....Very much expecting democracy to be overcome up to that point then considering his use of the present tense at that moment....No expectation of it being followed through before therefore.

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, regprentice said:

I'd agree with that, but I genuinely don't think that's landing with the public. In the press, on the telly, on the Internet starmer comes across as pretty dull and hasn't really don't anything of note since he came in. 

He's not bad, but he's pretty uncharismatic and not going to rouse the huddles masses of labour supporters. I'd agree with Simhadri that there may be another one or two people in that job by the next election. 

I can't see a Labour leader winning a general election if the neo liberals have four years to assassinate his character. Too many easily led Muppets believe the troll farm Facebook propaganda. 

Boris made the most of his honeymoon period. And even then he had to be hidden away so he didn't ****** it up.

If Swinson had kept her powder dry instead of supporting the election, Johnson's failings would've become more and more obvious.

HOLA4413
3 hours ago, msi said:

Are you a miner from 1980s ? ?

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, Trump Invective said:

I want the Tories in for the next 10 years.

By then most millennial people would have resigned to lifetime renting. 10 years is a long time for humans. 

At least in UK, Boris helped people with furlough but in many countries there is zero help.

Boris has won new voters during this pandemic as weird as sounds its true.

Lots of furloughed colleagues like him now who voted other parties 6 months ago. I'm still with SNP but surprised about the gains tories making in Scotland. England will be bloodbath for Labour at next election.

Labour will be in rude shock for 2 more elections at least.

Stammer can go back to nursery.

Blair might well bring his son to be next Labour leader in 10 years time and by then most of new young voters will rally behind him. As funny as it sounds,  big 200 will make sure people elect another neo liberal. 

HOLA4415
2 hours ago, ticket2ride said:

Thanks @Warlord

Ferrari is still there. He and O'Brien are big audience draws, used to listen a lot driving between meetings. Now I tune in a bit less due to sea of conference calls, but still make time on catch up. 

HOLA4416
28 minutes ago, ticket2ride said:

Boris made the most of his honeymoon period. And even then he had to be hidden away so he didn't ****** it up.

We'll I've got some interesting gossip. 

There is a rumour Boris is struggling with his health post COVID and will step down in September. 

Let's see what happens.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
8 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

There is a rumour Boris is struggling with his health post COVID and will step down in September. 

I don’t think it is just Covid related, but him being over “promoted”.  Brand Boris was so strong and it filled a mighty vacuum.  Combine this with a Tory Party that wanted a Saviour and was very grateful to accept.  Bad timing for us all.

HOLA4420
1 hour ago, “Nasty Piece of work” said:

I don’t think it is just Covid related, but him being over “promoted”.  Brand Boris was so strong and it filled a mighty vacuum.  Combine this with a Tory Party that wanted a Saviour and was very grateful to accept.  Bad timing for us all.

Boris is notoriously lazy. He thought being PM would be a lot trips and fancy lunches. What a shock for him!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

OK I listened to him for half an hour and was impressed. 

- He answered all the questions, even though I disagree with his policies

- He has a conversational style and is engaging

- He seems like a nice bloke , which is important to fickle voters 

Seems refreshing to the bluster from Boris. I can see him as an alternative if not viable PM.  The problem is all the lunatics that surround him in the shadow Cabinet.  

Edited by Warlord

HOLA4423
4 minutes ago, Warlord said:

OK I listened to him for half an hour and was impressed. 

- He answered all the questions, even though I disagree with his policies

- He has a conversational style and is engaging

- He seems like a nice bloke , which is important to fickle voters 

Seems refreshing to the bluster from Boris. I can see him as an alternative if not viable PM.  The problem is all the lunatics that surround him in the shadow Cabinet.  

He, Starmer, could be an effective leader of an emergency coalition government.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
15 hours ago, msi said:

You have no idea what Gen Z are like my friend.