House Price Crash Forum

New data shows London's property boom is a money laundering horror

HOLA441

New data shows London's property boom is a money laundering horror

Money laundering has been pinpointed as a problem for the UK, with trillions of pounds thought to be sloshing through banks and properties. It has been pinpointed as a target for the government, with economic secretary to the Treasury John Glen saying that “money laundering regulation exists to help protect honest business, so anyone who flaunts the law should know that swift action will be taken.”

However, the perception of how swift and how meaningful that action is appears to differ from reality.

HOLA442

there was a television progrmme into this....think the long and short of it was they wanted the dodgy money flooding into the economy and pushing up asset prices...they now seem to be happy to do something about it guess because they have already had the best of it and now they can be seen to do something about it....this is just a banana republic really

HOLA443
5 hours ago, Spindler said:

there was a television progrmme into this....think the long and short of it was they wanted the dodgy money flooding into the economy and pushing up asset prices...they now seem to be happy to do something about it guess because they have already had the best of it and now they can be seen to do something about it....this is just a banana republic really

On the other hand if we hold everyone's money, we have global power.

HOLA444

It is probably a benefit to our economy to the detriment of others.

But the government should have taken the advice of other folks whom profit from illegal activity.

Dont get high off your own supply!

By allowing that hot money into the residential property market they have shafted their own citizens and in turn they will end the party.

Rules should have been made keep that money to high quality new build to rent only/art/wine/shares etc etc

Edited by Fromage Frais

HOLA445
19 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

But the government should have taken the advice of other folks whom profit from illegal activity.

By allowing that hot money into the residential property market they have shafted their own citizens and in turn they will end the party.

Rules should have been made keep that money to high quality new build to rent only/art/wine/shares etc etc

True, but that needs joined up thinking not short term thinking 

over the decades I have come across people that sold out to those stupid foreigners, who turned out to be not so stupid as those properties kept appreciating in value.

Edited by prozac

HOLA446
HOLA447
22 minutes ago, prozac said:

True, but that needs joined up thinking not short term thinking 

over the decades I have come across people that sold out to those stupid foreigners, who turned out to be not so stupid as those properties kept appreciating in value.

As long as the money keeps coming the party keeps going.

This is all China IMHO goosed with the cheap dollar.

Seldom in history has a economic player arrived on the scene of such size > exported and then chosen to invest that money back on such a scale.

It looks to be drying up hence why many cities around the world see falls at the same time.

HOLA448
2 hours ago, kzb said:

On the other hand if we hold everyone's money, we have global power.

i don;t think we are going to be holding EVERYONE's money.......this country is as weak as it's ever been in terms of global influence and military strength...100 years ago  we were a force to be reckoned with our currency was the worlds reserve currency....no longer....the one thing that is going back to the past are the opportunities for the common man...back then they had servants i.e a life of service that you would sign yourself into.....i see that coming back...in a different form.....debt slavery

We are probably the weakest we have been on the gloabl stage since the dark ages

Edited by Spindler

HOLA449
1 hour ago, Fromage Frais said:

+100...the greedy establishment just cant help themselves...this is why all empires fall

HOLA4410
11 minutes ago, Spindler said:

i don;t think we are going to be holding EVERYONE's money.......this country is as weak as it's ever been in terms of global influence and military strength...100 years ago  we were a force to be reckoned with our currency was the worlds reserve currency....no longer....the one thing that is going back to the past are the opportunities for the common man...back then they had servants i.e a life of service that you would sign yourself into.....i see that coming back...in a different form.....debt slavery

We are probably the weakest we have been on the gloabl stage since the dark ages

No, we are regularly second in the league table for global influence.

We don't need military strength if we have everyone's money.

In this one (for example)  we are fourth in the world:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/best-international-influence

Also, bear in mind the price of the Euro is determined in London.  As is the price of gold, diamonds and the dollar.

Edited by kzb

HOLA4411
27 minutes ago, kzb said:

Also, bear in mind the price of the Euro is determined in London.  As is the price of gold, diamonds and the dollar.

I don’t believe in league tables, the USA is the most powerful country in the world, the 2nd and 3rd and fourth etcetra are irrelevant 

HOLA4412
30 minutes ago, kzb said:

The pound has been doing nothing but devaluing for decades we now stand on the cusp of going to parity with the euro and maybe even the dollar then the populace will feel anger because it will be so expensive for imports and those lovely sunny holiday we have come to love so much.....If Putin wanted i reckon he could be at the channel ports in France faster than Adolf Hitler before Nato has even woken up...the USA is a decadent country and will eventually lose reserve currency status....Putin will beat the west via Eastern alliances and allow the west to beat itself.....i don;t care what links you show me this country is bankrupt the debt is monster...we sold all our gold.....and the snakes in the esatblishment have and are just stuffng their snouts while the country goes to pot around them....it's like San Francisco the elites have pushed up asset prices made it impossible for ordinary people to survive NOW they fear getting cholera or other transmissible diseases because all the homeless doing their business in the streets....Zh was actually showing a Map of the worst areas...a so called **** map...couldnt look at it myself....i think you are looking at this country through false narratives and rose tinted goggles....as Peter Hitchens said "its finished"...I've never seen a country more finished" and he's a lot smarter than you and I i figure...

Edited by Spindler

HOLA4413
9 minutes ago, Spindler said:

The pound has been doing nothing but devaluing for decades we now stand on the cusp of going to parity with the euro and maybe even the dollar then the populace will feel anger because it will be so expensive for imports and those lovely sunny holiday we have come to love so much.....If Putin wanted i reckon he could be at the channel ports in France faster than Adolf Hitler before Nato has even woken up...the USA is a decadent country and will eventually lose reserve currency status....Putin will beat the west via Eastern alliances and allow the west to beat itself.....i don;t care what links you show me this country is bankrupt the debt is monster...we sold all our gold.....and the snakes in the esatblishment have and are just stuffng their snouts while the country goes to pot around them....it's like San Francisco the elites have pushed up asset prices made it impossible for ordinary people to survive NOW they fear getting cholera or other transmissible diseases because all the homeless doing their business in the streets....Zh was actually showing a Map of the worst areas...a so called **** map...couldnt look at it myself....i think you are looking at this country through false narratives and rose tinted goggles....as Peter Hitchens said "its finished"...I've never seen a country more finished" and he's a lot smarter than you and I i figure...

The USA still has another 20 year and if they can reinvent themselves they will survive, Russia and China would need to become multiracial and and feed their population fentanyl and homosexuality, which I don’t think they will do 

HOLA4414

the one thing the uSa (if its still there) has is a lot of gold ...the chinese and russians have been buying shed loads and do nt export what they mine....the US could with a SDR new world currency or an inflated gold price....wipe out its debt....where will we be left.?..the US won't do us any favours....tbh you may be right another 20 years but they could have a civil war in that time....the Liberals are screwing that country up big time....

Why does russia need to become multi racial ? Why does it need to pander to multiple minority groups ? judging by what has and goes on in the  UK and the USA I think Russia does best defining its own path....who wants their future to be our present ?

Hitchens said we are finished before Brexit...with Brexit and the right people in charge we could carve out a new future for ourselves....but the future lies in the EAst....Jim Rogers moved his family there so his children could learn Mandarin.....he said the USA is all but finished and without its military might it would be as a society....I wonder how well that military machine would really stand up against someone who really wanted a fight ? They don't have the stomach for it in truth....the decadent never have....

Edited by Spindler

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Spindler said:

Why does russia need to become multi racial ? Why does it need to pander to multiple minority groups ? judging by what has and goes on in the  UK and the USA I think Russia does best defining its own path....who wants their future to be our present ?

Specialization, different groups do things better, this is an average so dont knock me down, Jews make the best bankers, poles make the best plumbers, Brits make the best managers, indian make the best corner shop owners, pakistanis make the best Chicken and chips shop owners, USA makes the best silicon valley, French make the best cheese, Germans/japanese make the best cars etcetra etcetra

Britain is a multi racial country, Japan would not accept this, which is the better, we can learn from others, their is no one truth just opinion.

HOLA4416
2 hours ago, Spindler said:

The pound has been doing nothing but devaluing for decades

The pound stood at $1.05 in 1985. Today it is $1.30 so it appears to have been appreciating over decades. 

The rest of your post was uneducated nonsense as well but so meandering that it would be like arm wrestling with jelly. 

Edited by Ah-so

HOLA4417
5 minutes ago, Ah-so said:

The pound stood at $1.05 in 1985. Today it is $1.30 so it appears to have been appreciating over decades. 

The rest of your post was uneducated nonsense add well but so meandering that it would be like arm wrestling with jelly. 

you pick one point in time to suit your argument and are just rude...ignore..if you cant debate politely

try looking at the pound vs the deutschmark over time...even the euro...i recall getting over 2 dollars to the pound....as you are just impolite i going to add you to ignore ..

Edited by Spindler

HOLA4418
5 minutes ago, Spindler said:

you pick one point in time to suit your argument and are just rude...ignore..if you cant debate politely

try looking at the pound vs the deutschmark over time...even the euro...i recall getting over 2 dollars to the pound....as you are just impolite i going to add you to ignore ..

I didn't take over point, I took the only point that had anything that was measurable and testable. Currencies go up and down and we are currently in a bit of slump following our Brexit insanity. But otherwise, not that bad. 

But as i said, everything that came after was a meandering stream nonsense. 

HOLA4419
3 hours ago, Spindler said:

The pound has been doing nothing but devaluing for decades

i don;t care what links you show me this country is bankrupt the debt is monster...we sold all our gold

Correct. All major currencies have lost significant value. The dollar has lost 96% of its value since 1913. A chart for GBP below with value going down vs how much is printed going up.

20120815_JPM1.png

gbp-pp.png

1 hour ago, Ah-so said:

The rest of your post was uneducated nonsense as well but so meandering that it would be like arm wrestling with jelly.  

The currencies, they wobble like different parts of a Jelly *Wibble wobble*. Should the Jelly collapse, it matters not if one part of the Jelly was a little harder than another.

HOLA4420
5 hours ago, kzb said:

This sounds misleading. Could you explain, are you trying to say that if London did not exist, we would not be able to discover the price of the Euro?

HOLA4421
4 hours ago, Spindler said:

Hitchens thinks this country is "finished" mainly because it isn't run in the way he'd like it to be. 

UK has been continually written off for about 60 years, most of which I can actually recall. While it must have, imho, slumped down the quality of life indices due to deliberate mismanagement by greedy interests for their own ends this is not unique to UK.

A quick trawl around other Western democracies shows up many of the same problems as here. Some very expensive places look really great, what else would one expect?

While I fear for the future as much as anyone on here, things haven't held up anywhere near as badly as many have predicted. Selling newspapers is their game and bad news and fear are what people want to read about. The number of countries that are much better seems very few to me, and most have some disadvantages.

As it happens, I quite like and respect Hitchens while sometimes disagreeing with him the few times I read any of his copy. Anyone who despises David Cameron as much as he does can't be all bad.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
14 minutes ago, prozac said:

LOL

Do you recall footage of Lord So and So smoking dope in a tarts' den attired in red bra and panties which some tabloid got hold of? 

The bit I most recall, apart from the lingerie - ahem - was him saying that Cameron was the ultimate in plastic politicians. He was stripped of his membership of the HOL I recall. 

Imho he should be put in charge of the entire country. Sense of humour, knows how to enjoy himself and great judgment, who cares what he does outside of work and he couldn't do any worse in the job.

As for Cameron, I mean honestly however did he run a PR outfit?  Will Hay running a privatised rail company is more plausible.

I meant "turned out" not "held up" above, btw.

HOLA4424
14 hours ago, Ah-so said:

To give spindy his dues, most people do not grasp how volatile cable is.

£1 = $2 - Woohoo disney world for hols kids.

£1 = $1 - Turkey all-inc ...

Now £1 v Swiss Franc ....

HOLA4425
11 hours ago, Bluestone59 said:

Do you recall footage of Lord So and So smoking dope in a tarts' den attired in red bra and panties which some tabloid got hold of? 

The bit I most recall, apart from the lingerie - ahem - was him saying that Cameron was the ultimate in plastic politicians. He was stripped of his membership of the HOL I recall. 

Imho he should be put in charge of the entire country. Sense of humour, knows how to enjoy himself and great judgment, who cares what he does outside of work and he couldn't do any worse in the job.

As for Cameron, I mean honestly however did he run a PR outfit?  Will Hay running a privatised rail company is more plausible.

I meant "turned out" not "held up" above, btw.

I understand now where you are coming from, time has not been kind to the plastic people 

Our politicians are not fit for purpose, they are fine when no decision of significance needs to be taken, they are photogenic and know the right buzzwords

I would rate Robert Mugabe much higher