House Price Crash Forum

Extreme Saving

penbat1

HOLA441

No, though I would if they asked.

I've just dumped most of my stuff in their spare room, I spend the majority of my time at my girlfriends place. She is happy to feed me and provide me with a bed...Daddy is rich and has bought her a huge house and she doesn't pay a penny towards the mortgage or household bills. No point in letting his generosity go to waste.

:lol::lol::lol:

Don't blame you! it's always been my motto ;)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

£450 a month savings from £1150 take home pay, but only started this 3 months ago (paid off car) so I will be waiting at least 3 years to buy. :(

Gav,

Thats good savings for your salary level - keep it up and shop around for good ISAs/Savings accounts

on a regular basis!

HOLA444

Currently about 80% of net income per month (lodging in a boxroom helps!)

HOWEVER, girlfriend moving over, so expect savings rate to drop (surprise, surprise!) to around 60% of net income pm. That is the goal anyway...

addendum: And I am starting with stoozing on credit cards...hope to rack up 'debt' at 0% of around 30k over the next three years - should work out at an extra grand or so a year for no risk.

Edited by marko

HOLA445

£700+ pm from £1460pm...£70pm for student loans.

I don't go out often and don't run a car. Thankfully, I wouldn't thank you for electronic tat, "designer" - aye, right - clothes, moisturisers for men, "Belgian" Beer that's brewed in a factory off the M1 or other TV-advertised w@nkery, so I don't feel I'm missing out there.

Sad thing about this thread is that most of us could just fill 6 of the credit card mailhot applications we get every week, rack up £30k of spending, throw in a couple of personal loans - and then go bankrupt, without causing ourselves much inconvenience.

Why do we bother? - that question's for you, any watching Nu Lab focus group researcher type person.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I save about 25% cash and invest 25% - pension/ shares etc. I could save more but life is too short not to have expensive hobbies.

Absolutely!!!! And it's the millions of people with searingly expensive hobbies that will cause decimation for the housing market as these people turn back to their train sets, motorbikes, aquariums, sky diving, drystone wall building and hamster breeding for solace in this approaching economic hurricane.

Five years time, and people won't even remember what a house is.

:P

(Okay, AWOOGA).

:lol:

EDIT - the BBC Is preparing us all for this by reporting on SEX and RACIAL "HATRED" issues today. NOTHING on the housing market.

Edited by megaflop

HOLA4411

Guys - thats terrible for most of you! The deprivation... the hardship!

I thought I was being tight with my 40% savings and I imagine most of you, like me, have been saving whilst watching HPI and real inflation eat up savings on those stupidly low interest rates too!

Go on... spend all your money on frivilous material goods and get a 100% mortgage.... you know you want to ( :P )

- pye (Property speculation ninja :ph34r: )

HOLA4412

This thread just suggests to me that houseprices will not fall. How can they if people are saving >50% of their salaries?

It suggests that people in UK will go to any lengths to achieve home ownership and is very sad in my opinion. The money will just line the pockets of property speculators.

Surely, we should be campaigning to use LESS of our disposable income to pay for housing.

This thread is just crazy in my opinion.

HOLA4413

£2000 per month

I drive a beaten up J reg honda civic, hardly ever buy clothes, went out once per 2 months last year if that. My only extravagances are my gym membership (£35pm), poker at home when friends come round to play and the odd album/dvd. I'm £57 up on the poker since last Jan too :-). I rent/share a scummy 2 semi for £250pm including all bills except the phone. Basically i'm Scrooge2K.

I'm planning to have a £100,000 deposit inside 3 years.

HOLA4414
This thread just suggests to me that houseprices will not fall. How can they if people are saving >50% of their salaries?

And exactly how typical do you think those of us posting on this thread are? Joe Average is spending every penny he earns and then MEW-ing and borrowing to make up the rest of his outgoings.

Surely, we should be campaigning to use LESS of our disposable income to pay for housing.

I plan to buy a decent house with a mortgage of under 50k which I'll clear off in a few years and then won't have to pay much at all for housing for the rest of my life. In fact, I may just send my girlfriend out to work and lounge around at home all day (she says it's OK as long as I pay for the house and do the cooking and cleaning :)).

HOLA4415

It suggests that people in UK will go to any lengths to achieve home ownership and is very sad in my opinion. The money will just line the pockets of property speculators.

To me it suggests that most of the people who post on HPC are a bunch of weidos. When every media outlet is spewing out the message to spend spend spend, debt is at record levels and credit is cheaper than ever, only an idiot would save, surely? <_<

HOLA4416

Im not sure exactly how much I save each month because I juggle the money around a bit (into high interest accounts etc, back into current account to pay off credit card etc)

In the region of £1000 a month though. I should probably be saving more of my net pay, but enjoy eating out a lot and generally spending a fair bit on gadgets/dvds and clothes etc, and IMO it could be a fair few years before house prices have settled down, so I dont feel under that much pressure to get saving hard.

Edited by Pete95

HOLA4417

£2000 per month

I drive a beaten up J reg honda civic, hardly ever buy clothes, went out once per 2 months last year if that. My only extravagances are my gym membership (£35pm), poker at home when friends come round to play and the odd album/dvd. I'm £57 up on the poker since last Jan too :-). I rent/share a scummy 2 semi for £250pm including all bills except the phone. Basically i'm Scrooge2K.

I'm planning to have a £100,000 deposit inside 3 years.

Eh!? <_<

You save £2000 pcm and live in a £250pcm scummy semi??

You hope to save £100,000 in 3 years??

Is that sarcasm or horse shit?

you would have to clear ~£2700 pcm min to do this. Leaving a paltry £415pcm to live on. Or just under £5K

Thats £32,400pa bottom line or £54,000 salary ish.

Why save so aggresively? Do you need to retire soon and failed to save a pension? Ailing health? Need an operation?

Are you mad and forecasting a spell in an institution?

HOLA4418
You hope to save £100,000 in 3 years??

No, they hope to have 100k _after_ three years.

Is that sarcasm or horse shit?

What's so awful about living in a semi and saving a lot of money every month?

How do you think people get rich? By spending money they don't have to spend?

Why save so aggresively?

Why spend if you don't need to and are happy with your life? The only downside of saving is that governments go out of their way to punish savers as much as they possibly can.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Wow.

Some phenomenal saving going on...I thought I was doing OK.

I'm not an extreme saver at all - life is too short.

Salary is about 2k net.

300 goes into pension and share scheme. (company triples my contribution and share scheme will probably double my cash in 2 years - when I get to have the shares).

after rent and all that business I save 600 or 700 a month depending on how good I am.

Dont have many expenses:

eat out once a week

gym membership

dont drink

theatre/gigs twice a month

broadband

bloody nice rented flat

no car but living in London takes its toll on the wallet (rent, transport etc.)

Food for the house is something I refuse to be tight on. As I say life's too short.

HOLA4421

Actually, I'd forgotten about pensions. That would be another 10% or more if it counts as 'saving' (even more than that if the company contributions are included)... we don't have a share scheme anymore, but that used to be another 10% and I often trebled my money in a year.

HOLA4422

It suggests that people in UK will go to any lengths to achieve home ownership.

50% save -> no fall???? Why is your point irrelevant? Because the Estate Agent doesn't know your finances.

Everything is "average": Average price; Average salary. Average average average.... The average man has no f****g savings.

You don't have to beat the banks, you just have to beat your peers.

To me it suggests that most of the people who post on HPC are a bunch of weidos.

When I was a kid I remember visiting my cousin, and we went round to his friend's house. Shortly after he was introduced to me, I distinctly remember him remarking (to the world at large) "Isn't is odd how all strangers look like gerbils?"

So.

Squeak.

Life is for living and people sometimes forget that.

Yeah, too right. Why do people hook themselves up to those shitty mortgages: Such a high house price, such a long repayment period? They must have no life at all.

HOLA4423

Of the people that are saving more than 30%, how many are:

• living at home with parents or rent free (as I am) ?

• Have no Children

• have no excessive lifestyle (or no life as I feel ATM, saving this hard)

• Pay their own tax, so need the put aside cash for that

• have no excessive lifestyle (or no life as I feel ATM, saving this hard)

HOLA4424

hard to work out what i save realy, becuase being self employed my income varie's month to month and year to year.but i put the odd 1000 pounds away in gold coins which ive done quite well out of, better than bank intrest.saved about 5k last year.intend to try for saving 10k this year by not going out blowing 100 pound on a night out so often and stop having take aways delivered.

HOLA4425

Turning Japanese on this site.

This is what the Japanese have been doing a long time - they were forced to when their government screwed their economy with high levels of debt - outpriced one tranch of consumers so they became rabid savers and near-bankrupted another tranch with the debt that they took on to participate in their housing bubble.

Edited by OnlyMe