House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441
HOLA442

Pretty obvious that she has been targeted for destruction. Perhaps they've learned the lesson of Trump and are going in extra hard to make sure she gets stamped into the earth.

Still, it shows what a threat she is and how much the establishment feels threatened in general at the moment.

HOLA443
48 minutes ago, Byron said:

Is there no depths to which the left will sink?

Obviously they do not believe in democracy.

I don't get it. She's been only had immunity lifted from any prosecution relating to her tweeting pictures of ISIS horrors. The French state are at war with ISIS. What could they realistically charge her with that won't ultimately play directly into her hands?

HOLA444
1 hour ago, Byron said:

Is there no depths to which the left will sink?

Obviously they do not believe in democracy.

Not left, established politics.  They've been hurt in UK and US, and they're fighting back for their lives (well, their gold plated pensions and book deals).

HOLA445
1 hour ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I don't get it. She's been only had immunity lifted from any prosecution relating to her tweeting pictures of ISIS horrors. The French state are at war with ISIS. What could they realistically charge her with that won't ultimately play directly into her hands?

If they want to bury her the penalty for being found guilty could be up to 3 years in prison.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I've been driving around in the south of France for the past few days.  It's interesting that the only political posters to be seen are for Le Pen and the FN.  It's exactly the same as the US a few months before Trump's election.  Normally, there would have been political signs for all the candidates all over, but last year, the only ones to be seen were for Trump (or Sanders).

HOLA4410
2 hours ago, richc said:

I've been driving around in the south of France for the past few days.  It's interesting that the only political posters to be seen are for Le Pen and the FN.  It's exactly the same as the US a few months before Trump's election.  Normally, there would have been political signs for all the candidates all over, but last year, the only ones to be seen were for Trump (or Sanders).

That's really interesting. Did you get a chance to speak to any French about the election?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I think after the Paris and Nice terror attacks a lot of French will have decided to vote Le Pen.

How long has the "temporary" state of emergency existed in France now? 18 months? And the French PM says the French will just have to get used to terrorism. If I was French I would be angry.

HOLA4414
50 minutes ago, frozen_out said:

So transparent. We didn't fall for it, the US didn't fall for it, if the French don't fall for it I'm expecting a full on suspension of democracy or direct vote rigging.

The Austrian election was suspended twice after voting 'irregularities'. After which Hofer declared that he would  accept the third election without questioning the postal vote. 

The first two elections would have resulted in a narrow win for Hofer if the "irregular' votes had been discounted. The third election resulted in a huge majority for the left.

Clearly no fraud there. Surely the left would not have taken advantage of Hofer's statement to stuff the ballot boxes?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
16 hours ago, richc said:

I presume you're in the South-East? The FN have had a strong following there for years.

I live in the South-West, and now that you mention it, I've seen no political posters. Anecdotally, when I discuss politics here with under-40s, the following subjects are popular: citizen's income, cost of housing, globalisation, outsourcing, and reducing the working week in order to share work with the unemployed. There are no candidates that speak this language.

HOLA4417

One thing about Le Pen, even if she does win the presidential she will be unlikely to have or be able to form a parliamentary majority to govern, or govern how she wants. At least Trump, notionally, has the Republican party.

Anyway the establishment have obviously decided to replace Hollande with Macron (son of Hollande).

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, davidg said:

One thing about Le Pen, even if she does win the presidential she will be unlikely to have or be able to form a parliamentary majority to govern, or govern how she wants. At least Trump, notionally, has the Republican party.

Anyway the establishment have obviously decided to replace Hollande with Macron (son of Hollande).

Must admit I don't fully understand the system, but I thought it was winner takes all in the run off?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
2 hours ago, EUBanana said:

France is complicated...  they have a president AND a prime minister, and they don't have to agree with each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohabitation_(government)#France

I'm pretty sure the president appointments the prime minister, so they are in the same party.  I got this info off a French colleague (he said there have been disagreements in the past when the prime minister was in power)

HOLA4421
7 hours ago, DeepLurker said:

I presume you're in the South-East? The FN have had a strong following there for years.

I live in the South-West, and now that you mention it, I've seen no political posters. Anecdotally, when I discuss politics here with under-40s, the following subjects are popular: citizen's income, cost of housing, globalisation, outsourcing, and reducing the working week in order to share work with the unemployed. There are no candidates that speak this language.

Drove from Toulouse area over to Avignon.  There are plenty of FN signs in the Tarn, where I have a house.  

I tend not to discuss politics with the people in our village, as people are in one of two camps -- traditional rural voters who have probably migrated to FN but don't really want to discuss it, or unemployed eco-terrorists who don't have the most realistic expectations of how an advanced society is able to function.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

2 things -

Firstly, the apparent Brit desire for others to join them in leaving the EU seems a bit desperate, almost as if many regret their decision to vote to leave.

Secondly, the issues affecting the french elections (presidential, followed immediately by legislative) are very different to the hot political topics in the UK. Moreover, MLP is generally recognised by all but the most pig-headed as a demagogue and only the naive anticipate any good coming out of a return to the French franc, seeing as when the conversion to euros took place everyone lost about 10-20% of their purchasing power (and this would likely be doubled if converting back).

Long story short, people often vote 'blanc' or FN in the first round (as a protest vote) and then take it more seriously the following sunday, in the run-off. One might say this is a perverse effect encouraged by the two-round system.

HOLA4424
18 minutes ago, Allez_L'OM said:

2 things -

Firstly, the apparent Brit desire for others to join them in leaving the EU seems a bit desperate, almost as if many regret their decision to vote to leave.

Rubbish; I am absolutely delighted to be Brexiting.

There are two aspects to wanting others to leave:

The EU central bureaucracy would like to penalise the UK for leaving to try to stop others from so doing. If France and Holland were both also leaving then this would be the death knell for the EU and so spike its guns.

General dislike of the EU as a supranational level of government and desire to see it collapse and the independent nation states re-emerge.

HOLA4425
2 hours ago, Allez_L'OM said:

One might say this is a perverse effect encouraged by the two-round system.

Isn't this two roung system why the left have done a hatchet job on Fillon rather than on MLP?

The result will be MLP v Leftist in the run off, the left believe voters will find MLP so distasteful, they will vote left. But what could happen is voters find the left so distasteful, they vote MLP. Echoing Clinton v Trump.

Archived