awaytogo

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
4 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Si if young people arent buying at these insane prices...then who is.....

No BTLers buy them so that young people can rent them, rent what years ago they would have bought for themselves....all the eggs going into the same pockets.;)

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
1 minute ago, msi said:

The young could've bought them if they hadn't squandered it on iphones....

Better on iphones than tax breaks for BTL scumlords

I have to say, they must be accessorising with cases and screen protectors and all that malarkey, because I've run the numbers and the cost of the phone doesn't seem be in and of itself enough to explain such a dramatic fall in the rate of owner-occupation.

Apps!

They must be buying apps.

Probably in-game purchases too.

Good job these buy-to-let landlords are willing to step into the breach and provide all these phone-besotted spendthrift losers with shelter.

All hail our leveraged landlord protectors!

As you were, people.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
3 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

25 year olds are currently sleep-walking in their Facebook fantasy land, having sucked down on decades of diesel-calming fumes. They are more mad that Trump won the US election than the fact they will never afford to buy their own place to live.

I know plenty of 20somethings through work, family and friendship groups (am not much older than this myself). Most of them know full well that they have been screwed over by house prices. The whole 'they're too busy drinking flat whites and playing on their iPhones' is a lazy meme which bears no relation to reality.

HOLA4414

The tragedy is not that 20 somethings can't afford to buy their own place, it is that often they can't afford to RENT their own place either.

Minimum wage for adults doesn't apply til 25, full rate housing benefit doesn't apply til 35. I am 32 and am stuck sharing a house, as are the majority of my age group. The ones that aren't are back living with their parents or have left the country. Those 20% who own were mostly only able to do it with family help I reckon.

HOLA4415
5 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

I know plenty of 20somethings through work, family and friendship groups (am not much older than this myself). Most of them know full well that they have been screwed over by house prices. The whole 'they're too busy drinking flat whites and playing on their iPhones' is a lazy meme which bears no relation to reality.

OK, they're quietly mad then. 

Where are they vocalising their discontent regarding high house prices?

Maybe it's the MSM not reporting it, because all I hear are young people complaining about Trump and Brexit (two things that are at least against the establishment that are screwing them over....).

Edited by canbuywontbuy

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
17 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

OK, they're quietly mad then. 

Where are they vocalising their discontent regarding high house prices?

Maybe it's the MSM not reporting it, because all I hear are young people complaining about Trump and Brexit (two things that are at least against the establishment that are screwing them over....).

As Brexit and Trump have shown, the difference between the picture painted by the Media and reality is huge.

HOLA4418
13 minutes ago, Fairyland said:

Has BOMAD run out of steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam ?????????? ...........  

BOMAD these days are parents who are on the borderline of gen X and boomers. If you're talking about teenagers, then the parents are more likely to be Gen X. We're not that far away from the time when boomers are actually out of the picture.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
6 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Then the MSM are winning.  They are telling us younger people voted for the EU and are anti-Trump.....

Just like they said all the trump voters are white males? Break it down and there was a huge increase in black and Hispanic voters for Trump compared to the previous republican candidate. Don't believe the MSM, not all young people are crying over Brexit/Trump and spitting their dummies out. The ones that are unfortunately get the coverage and the MSM paint them as representative of the whole group. They are not. Unfortunately neither is the group politically motivated or angry enough to protest about how much its been ******ed, yet.

Edited by Northern Welsh Midlander

HOLA4421
17 minutes ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

Just like they said all the trump voters are white males? Break it down and there was a huge increase in black and Hispanic voters for Trump compared to the previous republican candidate. Don't believe the MSM, not all young people are crying over Brexit/Trump and spitting their dummies out. The ones that are unfortunately get the coverage and the MSM paint them as representative of the whole group. They are not. Unfortunately neither is the group politically motivated or angry enough to protest about how much its been ******ed, yet.

I propose a game, to be played at all times on all HPC threads and to be called Br0llocks. It's a bit like the game of Mornington Crescent, but is played with popular forum hobby horses, not London Underground stations. Players take it in turns to gradually move the thread away from its substantive topic. The winner is the first player to mention Brexit.

I have to criticise canbuywontbuy for the ungentlemanly escalation here. It would have been more sportsman-like to introduce MSM and leave it at that, giving somebody else a chance to say "Trump!" before the winner said "Brexit!"

HOLA4422
3 hours ago, msi said:

All hail our landlord protectors

Arnold_rimmer_salute_gif.gif

You forgot to quote space core directive 68250.

A chap at my old work, his 1st job out of uni so mid-20's, got an almighty car lone and then tried to get a house in littlemore, oxfordshire with his brother as a joint mortgage only to get turned down, unable to raise deposit and get enough of a mortgage to pay for roof over both of their heads.  Now renting.   Perhaps bankers really have changed spots?